Glider colors, only one for all sets ?

Faccina.5091

I have 2 armor sets, one zerk and one condi (one bluish and one reddish) and i just got the vermillion wing set glider/backpack, the backpack change color with the rest of the armor but the glider have only one set of colors...

Maybe is ok for other gliders but with this one i have red wings, jump they become blue then red again...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Faccina.5091 said:

Then there was no glider/backpack combo when they did the code or no one thinked about it ?

I had your exact same problem, red themed set for PvE and blue themed set for WvW, dyeable nightspeaker backpack, but only one shared glider dye between the sets.

There's no solution. just like there's no solution to older back/glider sets where you can dye the glider but not the back.

Something something very old monolithic spaghetti code no one dares to touch, something small indie company, please understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Faccina.5091 said:

Then there was no glider/backpack combo when they did the code or no one thinked about it ?

There were no gliders when the game first came out in 2012, they were added when the first Expack came out in 2015, plus dyeable backpacks are even newer, the vast majority of them can't be dyed.  And as Boh.4568 mentioned, this game suffers from Spaghetti Coding, or as I prefer to call it: Pervasive Existential Horror Coding.  Changing stuff, especially older stuff like the dye system is hard to do without breaking other things.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107

On 10/18/2021 at 4:06 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

What financial incentive is there for Anet to spend resources to do that?

I could say that for a top MMO well known for 9 years (+the GW1 reputation), backed up by a top company, and with a very strong fashion endgame mostly tied to the premium store, some effort could be done to implement basic QOL improvements such as the same behavior for two items (back and glider) that should be part of a set.

But you mentioned "financial incentive", so I understand that user experience improvements just for the sake of your playerbase are not a viable business model in 2021 videogames.

I also despise the "spaghetti code pls understand" excuse because I worked as a programmer and I know this is not an excuse for such a big company, but this is a different issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once you get assigned to a project, all the previous code becomes "your" code in terms of responsibility. It's very common in the IT field to get assigned to projects where the first line of code is 20 year old and the whole thing has been passed through so many developers that you really can't understand how some pieces of code can work.

But nevertheless it's your job and your responsibility to understand your codebase. In my company if I dared to say "sorry I can't fix this because it was written by someone else and I don't understand it" or, worse, "I could try to fix it but I'm afraid it would break something else I don't know" I would get probably kicked from the project. If I was assigned to it it meant I had the programming language skills to understand everything written in that code.

Now let's enlarge this matter from my medium-sized project to a big game such as GW2. Of course the spaghetti code is much bigger and harder to learn for such a big engine, but this is Anet, this is NCsoft, not some small indie company. They have the resources to break down every single line of code if they want, but they won't because the engine was a rewrite of a rewrite of a rewrite of Gw1 and now it's too much spaghetti to handle without huge costs.

I'm not particularly mad that seemingly simple QOL improvements such as glider dyes are walled behind a "sorry we can't because no", but in general a developer should never say "sorry I can't fix someone else's code, too much work" when it's YOUR game now and YOUR code and YOUR responsibility, that's unacceptable in my opinion.

But yeah, money.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Boh.4568 said:

Once you get assigned to a project, all the previous code becomes "your" code in terms of responsibility. It's very common in the IT field to get assigned to projects where the first line of code is 20 year old and the whole thing has been passed through so many developers that you really can't understand how some pieces of code can work.

This, plus most programmers have an allergy to commenting for some reason!

On 10/18/2021 at 10:06 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

What financial incentive is there for Anet to spend resources to do that?

Periodic goodwill is an intangible that affects the bottom line (though in a really obfuscated manner).  Most American companies do not seem to grasp this, but at least ArenaNet does occasional QoL updates that are large in scale for the sole benefit of player experience.

One such example is the expansion of material storage to include lots of other stuff clogging up our bank tabs.  Legendary Armory is purely QoL. (though some would argue that it's the exact opposite).

My wish is for outfits, mounts, and gliders to get the same legendary armory treatment, but it does seem a bit too niche.

Otherwise, yeah, your statement is generally the correct mindset.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1