Sword feels clunky and outdated

AquaBR.9250

The concept of sword/pistol really talks to me, but the way sword plays feel very boring, doesn't feel as fluid and the newer weapons, 2 should allow you to move (if you wanna keep the combo potential of CCing before to land this skill, give it a bonus damage to stunned and paralized targets) and 3 should not have a cast time, i mean you almost can't use it as a gap closer since you could most of the time just walk to your target during the time you take casting it. And if someone come with "But that would make it too strong" i'd say make this changes and reduce numbers to keep it as strong as it is now but more fluid and fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do agree that Sword 3 should change it, like op said the cast time is an issue. Makes the weapon feel clunky. I almost wish skill 3 would do all those effects all at once, so create clone, teleport, and immobilize with just one click. But I guess that would make it too much like the axe. 1 and 2 are fine tbh

Second hand sword is something I rarely see being used, so placing the phantasm on main 3 and switching all off hand could be fun .... but alas unrealistic.

9 hours ago, SkinnyT.5382 said:

Second hand sword is something I rarely see being used, so placing the phantasm on main 3 and switching all off hand could be fun .... but alas unrealistic.

Oh its actually used a lot. Power chrono with sword/sword and x/focus is great. The dps is reeeeaally good and in open world it does a good job as well. Well its hard to kill really hard bosses but i soloed bosses like:

Tarnished traitor

Mushroom King hp

Champion vinetooth hp

Champion arrowhead hp

And so on, with berserkers equip (some assassins), eagle runes....I mained chrono a few month ago before the ouch-nerf on may 11. It was a terrible. It still does a good job but its overnerfed a bit imo.

Switching the clone of sword 3 to sword 4 would make no sense to me. Its also a clone, but with a block before. Switching it to sword 5 would just kill offhand sword totally and everyone would use offhand pistol instead of offhand sword. 

Edited by SeTect.5918

Sword 1 and 2 are fine, but sword 3 has always been problematic and it should probably just be what Blade Leap is on Virtuoso but you generate a clone instead.

I do think the immobilise needs to stay though and it should probably be added to the version on Virtuoso as well to maintain that root potential for setting up sword 2. Also the swap component of sword 3 should remain in place for longer than the duration of sword 2 so Mesmer can do a poor man's pistol whip (Thief) combo and escape with relative ease 😃

Edited by Simonoly.4352

On 10/23/2021 at 8:16 PM, AquaBR.9250 said:

The concept of sword/pistol really talks to me, but the way sword plays feel very boring, doesn't feel as fluid and the newer weapons, 2 should allow you to move (if you wanna keep the combo potential of CCing before to land this skill, give it a bonus damage to stunned and paralized targets) and 3 should not have a cast time, i mean you almost can't use it as a gap closer since you could most of the time just walk to your target during the time you take casting it. And if someone come with "But that would make it too strong" i'd say make this changes and reduce numbers to keep it as strong as it is now but more fluid and fun.

The intention behind sword 3 is that you pre-cast it and then take advantage of the fact that the actual teleport is an instant cast ability that can be activated at the same time as other skills (and while you're CC'd).  It made a lot more sense 8 years ago when Mesmer had the means to buff clone health and players in general had to be more picky about when and how they used their high damage abilities.  Back in those days, mobility across the other professions was a lot lower than it is now, which is probably why Sword 3 wasn't designed to be an unconditional movement skill.  Back then, sword 3 was very dual purpose in that you could use it to setup an offensive burst or let the clone hang around so that you could teleport out of danger.  These days, you can pretty much expect that the clone is going to be destroyed within moments of being summoned, so its use is almost entirely offensive.  I've been in favor of sword 3 being reworked as it was for Virtuoso for quite a while, but Anet needs to fix the bugs.  Virtuoso sword 3 failed to activate properly way too often during the beta event.  As far as Blurred Frenzy is concerned, I don't think they need to touch it at all. 

• Like 2