I couldn't play Marionette because the map balancing failed

StevenL.3761

I was in a public Marionette instance with roughly 25/50 players while my friend from another guild was in a different instance with a similar number of players. Both maps failed to start because we could not gather the minimum of 50 players in either instance. We had at least 50 total across both instances though, so some of us should have been able to start. This was not a great experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Couldn't someone list a taxi and taxi people over? That's how zones usually get filled for world bosses.  I'm just not sure you can change zones in that instance, but I know you can in other similar instances if you're partied.

In this case yes but if OP's friend wasn't playing they wouldn't have known. I guess you could say ignorance is bliss but the result is that you end up with 50 people thinking that there aren't enough people playing this content when it is actually due to a bug

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You must have 50 players in the instance? Someone should change the Wiki, I guess.

Obviously, you don't have to, seeing as both instances started with only 25 players each. In theory, 25 players could be sufficient to win, but that's only in theory. In practice if you want the instance to succeed, you'd better have as close to the full cap (which is 80 players, not 50, btw) as possible.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Obviously, you don't have to, seeing as both instances started with only 25 players each. In theory, 25 players could be sufficient to win, but that's only in theory. In practice if you want the instance to succeed, you'd better have as close to the full cap (which is 80 players, not 50, btw) as possible.

50 people are required for the public version

In the public version of the Twisted Marionette, the event will not begin until 50 or more players are in the map.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

In this case yes but if OP's friend wasn't playing they wouldn't have known. I guess you could say ignorance is bliss but the result is that you end up with 50 people thinking that there aren't enough people playing this content when it is actually due to a bug

Well, a commander in either zone should have listed anyway.  It doesn't have to be a friend. When I look for maps on Drizzlewood or Dragonstand and nothing's going on, or there's not enough people, first thing I do is open LFG. I guess it's possible none of the fifty people had a tag or listed, but that seems weird to me. I'd have tagged up and listed myself and people would have communicated with each other and come over. 

That's how this game has worked for ages now. Look in LFG, taxi to the active map. People need to use the tools they have.

Edit: You don't even need a tag to taxi.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 1

Thank you, OP, for the update. I'm sorry to hear about your experience trying to do the Marionette; your frustration is understandable.

I was kind of curious how things would turn out with this boss once the novelty wore off (I chased all the achievements at release and haven't been back to the instance since), but this seems like another complication on top of everything else people brought up when it was first put in. That's very odd that it didn't put everyone together until the instance filled, but evidently that's not how it's designed.

Weird. I wonder if there's a way to fix it that isn't just people herding cats in LFG to get everyone over to the same IP address. It's stuff like this that really leaves me wanting manual instance selection as part of the UI. I don't mind instanced content as a general rule, but man is it cumbersome to get people together sometimes.

• Like 3