[Question] Printing Guild Logo

I'm not an expert but I believe that legally yes its still a copyright issue even if you dont monetize it, but whether Anet want to spend the time and money to go after you is another matter - things like this isnt really enforcable in practice. Hell no one would even know if you hadnt said anything.

I mean at least Anet isnt Disney. They havent released a worse live action version of GW2. Yet.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

You won't get an official answer here.  Best to submit a ticket to Support and they can pass it along.

Thanks, I'll do that! Do you know which category would be the most appropriate? Account/Game/Technical/Purchase & Billing Support, or Personal Data Management. Or should I just go with a random one, since it's not really about any of these topics? 

3 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I'm not an expert but I believe that legally yes its still a copyright issue even if you dont monetize it, but whether Anet want to spend the time and money to go after you is another matter - things like this isnt really enforcable in practice. Hell no one would even know if you hadnt said anything.

I mean at least Anet isnt Disney. They havent released a worse live action version of GW2. Yet.

Suing your players for this reason would also be a PR disaster. Even for cases where they are more or less legally required to do so such as in the case of trademark it is still going to have poor reception.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely contact them as you intend.  I'll just add that while you may only be doing it for personal use, the question is, are you paying someone else to create the item?  If you're ordering a coffee mug or t shirt with your provided image on it, then even though you personally aren't doing it for money, the person selling you the custom item is and they are making a sale using ANet's art.  Which, of course, is a Bad Thing.

If you do it entirely yourself from scratch and not to sell, then it probably counts as fan art.  However please make sure to get that spelled out by Support before you commence your artistic endeavors 🙂

• Thanks 1

*ponders* I think (the post immediately above this that has now vanished, saying it's not fan art if it simply uses a game texture) is right.  On the other hand, if the OP makes it entirely in their own home and uses it only there and doesn't feature it on a stream and never sells it to anyone or gives it to anyone that does feature it publicly, it's prrrrrrrobably safe.  As long as no money is moved due to the inclusion of the image.  (I mean yeah, the OP might have to buy a mug or shirt to paint on, or pay for software that converts images into applique stickers, when the OP wouldn't have bought the thing except to make their fan item, but I'm pretty sure that's not a problem).  As I said at the start, check with Support.  We on the forums are only indulging in fun thought experiments that should not be relied on for real world legal issues.

Edited by Donari.5237
Referred to a now deleted post
  • Thanks 1