Scrapper Impact Savant 15% to 5% nerf

Hpez.2908

After spending some time on the new Mechanist..a few issues but overall pretty darn strong. I'm killing faster than my Scrapper with great survivability. Having a "pet" is absolutely HUGE in redirecting a lot of the aggro and thus damage away from you (yea, yea, rangers and necros, stop laughing).

Reinforces my opinion that this Impact Savant nerf was completely unnecessary. The Scrapper still has a role in WvW but it's going to be hard to find a reason to use the Scrapper over the Mechanist in any open-world PvE situation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I came back to my scrapper after trying the new specs from EoD, and my first reaction was what the actual fuk.

15% to 5% is just plain kitten, and I noticed that there was barely any barrier at all when I was doing some open world stuff.

Worst of all the -180 vitality is still there.

Scrapper is not even a bursty class like holosmith so 5% can't do jack kitten, and this is barrier not even healing.

I feel this is even more detrimental than thief invigorating precision nerf since this is part of the core trait so it's always will be there when you play scrapper.

I don't even understand all these nerf to survivability traits as they are not even game breaking as they just help people to survive mostly in open world and they don't even give you any DPS advantage when doing end games contents.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Howluffu.7259 said:

I was learning to tank with Scrapper weeks prior to EoD patch. It was super fun!!! Now I just raid if I only have to give quickness.

Shame.

"River of Souls. Bring out the kitten Scrapper. Okay, we're done, put it away again."

• Sad 2

This nerf makes absolutely no sense in my opinion. The strength of scrapper WAS to be tanky while beeing on offensive traits and equipment. Now we received a 66% reduction on the most important trait for survivability.

5% conversion is literally nothing and barely noticeable in open world. And the worst part is still the -180 vitaly, this isnt a tradeoff anymore, this trait is now a straight downgrade.

To compensate this nerf you need to run more sustain traits and/or equipment, and this result in dealing less damage and generating less barrier?

If anet really wants to nerf "to strong" solo builds in open world, a nerf to 10% and removal of the -180 vitaly would be enough.

Anyway, this nerf completely stole my fun of playing scrapper in open world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I just don't understand why they think Scrapper is a healing/cleansing proffession. 

Their weapon has neither healing nor cleansing. 

Their traits have neither healing nor cleansing

The only utility in their kit with healing is their heal skill. 

The only built in cleanse they have is purge gyro. 

Scrapper is a bruiser. It throws itself at you and gets the bulk of its sustain from doing so. That is literally the core design of the spec. That's what their trade-off is centered around.

That's why this nerf hits scrapper so much harder than any other spec. If they want to balance scrapper around its support, maybe rework scrapper into an actual support.

Right now 90% of it's support comes from core traits and utilities: Med kit, Medical dispersion field, Elixir Gun, Mortar kit, comeback cure, Purity of Purpose, ect. The only reason why scrapper was the support build of choice (prior to Mechanist's release) was because it was the best of two bad options. You got more value out of running Scrapper than any other traitline, so it got chosen by default. 

If they want to nerf Scrapper out of its current identity and into a healing/cleansing support. The first step is to rework Impact savant from a bruiser trait into a support trait.

For example: Convert a percentage of your incoming healing into barrier. Using a blast/leap finisher spreads your barrier to allies. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kuma.1503 said:

I just don't understand why they think Scrapper is a healing/cleansing proffession. 

I thought that was just in regards to the WvW changes?  God, I hope they don't think that's the role Scrapper plays outside of WvW because that's very much not the case.  Heal Scrapper is a thing, but it's far from being a great option.  I'm pretty sure, like you said, most of us are/were playing scrapper as a bruiser/quickness provider and yeah, this nerf hit hard in a lot of content. 

I'd bet on the Impact Savant change not being something they actually thought about and more just something caught up in a spreadsheet change where they took any Damage = Sustain trait and knocked them all down to ~5%.  I honestly wish they would have just changed Torment Runes and ignored the rest. I really can't think of any of these changes that I agree with in regards to traits, especially considering what EoD specs came out with.

And, I will add, that in solo settings, I'd call Impact Savant basically a net-zero trait at this point, I just don't do enough DPS to have the lost HP be really worth the barrier.  It's still a gain I think, but it's probably not one I'd choose if it were a major trait.  On Heal Scrapper, it's just a straight negative because I'll never be doing enough DPS to offset the HP loss (so if Scrapper is supposed to be a healer... LOL).  Impact Savant is only really good when I have the boons to do some good DPS, and in those scenarios, I just don't need it...

• Thanks 1

The single, only, sole reason why support engineer in WvW took the form of the Scrapper instead of Core or Holosmith is Sneak Gyro/smoke field.

That's it, that's the feature. Everything else was irrelevant to the role played. Impact Savant generated none barrier ever, because 15% of 0 physical damage output is 0 barrier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

The single, only, sole reason why support engineer in WvW took the form of the Scrapper instead of Core or Holosmith is Sneak Gyro/smoke field.

That's it, that's the feature. Everything else was irrelevant to the role played. Impact Savant generated none barrier ever, because 15% of 0 physical damage output is 0 barrier.

Sneak is Scrapper's killer feature, but it's not everything.

• Bulwark Gyro's toolbelt skill Defense Field provides another source of AoE stability as well as an anti-projectile bubble that moves with the group. This is really really good in WvW where group stability is king.
  • It also brings Purge Gyro, which is the easiest to use cleanse and manages to hit targets even in a chaotic fight where it might be hard to Fumigate or blast a field.
  • It also brings bursts of quickness and superspeed - still strong even after nerfs.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1