The line in the sand

9 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Yeah that's what the G stands for. 

And now you have the answer to your original question - in the whole "MMORPG" part, people are interested in some parts of the name, but practically never in the whole of it. It's just different people consider different parts of that whole acronym to be less relevant to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2022 at 9:54 PM, HellsPriest.6745 said:

You didn't pay for the Turtle. Think of it like anything else in life. You may have paid to enter the park, but you need to get on the ride and hope for a positive outcome. You paid to get into the tournament but you aren't guaranteed to win. You paid for the food, doesn't mean you'll get the result you wanted. They did NOT ever tell you would you just GET A FREE Turtle for buying the game. They advertised that EOD gives you the opportunity to work towards getting an awesome thing like a turtle mount.

Indeed, im just so amazed by the amount of ppl saying "but turtle was announced in the promo", and its in the game. Skyscale is x1000 times worst getting it, and its actually neccesary for QoL in vertical maps...

Legendarys were promoted with the expansion too, and doesnt mean your gonna get them for free. I dont have one, pls arenanet give me all the legendarys! i paid for the box.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And now you have the answer to your original question - in the whole "MMORPG" part, people are interested in some parts of the name, but practically never in the whole of it. It's just different people consider different parts of that whole acronym to be less relevant to them.

I'm interested in the whole..

Massive- more than 5 people at a time 

Multiplayer- with others

Role - race/Prof/build

Playing - pushing buttons

Game - tool to bring fun/enjoyment

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Confused 1

Because, while there is some challenge to the fight, that isnt why people are struggling. First, the dps requirements are too high for a open world event. And, for the record, dps requirements have nothing to do with difficulty - only about your ability to copy paste a build from a website and grind out a gear set. Difficulty comes from  mechanics, which, when you boil it down on Soo Wan, are pretty simple.

Second, there is still way too much RNG in the fight. That is obvious to anyone that has done this fight more than 3-4 times (and I have failed it 23 times at this point).

All of that said, a simple bronze/silver/gold reward model (that we already see in many strike missions) would address 95% of the issue - negating the dps requirements somewhat while still rewarding those groups that min/max.

Edited by Blaeys.3102
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Indeed, im just so amazed by the amount of ppl saying "but turtle was announced in the promo", and its in the game. Skyscale is x1000 times worst getting it, and its actually neccesary for QoL in vertical maps...

Legendarys were promoted with the expansion too, and doesnt mean your gonna get them for free. I dont have one, pls arenanet give me all the legendarys! i paid for the box.

Legendaries, since day one, have been about the long time commitment, huge cost, and having to touch many areas of the game.

On-the-Box-Features have always been handed to players simply and easily to be used to play the new expansion, not as a reward for completing the expansion and as a stick to drive players into the content ArenaNet wants.

Gliding - Unlocked day one. Masteries take some play to level up.

Raptor - Unlocked day one. Masteries take a little bit of play.

Rest of PoF mounts - Do a heart, pay a small amount of gold. Need to level up a previous mount mastery a little to access.

Nobody wants every reward handed to them for nothing. You’re making a straw man argument.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Except nobody is unironically asking for them to be in the mail on the day of release or something. The reason why people aren't up in arms about the legendaries in spite of how expensive they are is simply because they ultimately don't require people to play content they're uncomfortable with (and almost none of the content they do have to play is specific). The same would apply to other things like legendary armor as well, if A-Net were to implement further upgraded versions of the ancient armor set all the way up to legendary entirely obtainable by doing random stuff in Cantha then this would effectively shut-up those PvE players who constantly ask for more ways to obtain legendary armor.

Edited by Tails.9372
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tails.9372 said:

Except nobody is unironically asking for them to be in the mail on the day of release or something. The reason why people aren't up in arms about the legendaries in spite of how expensive they are is simply because they ultimately don't require people to play content they're uncomfortable with (and almost none of the content they do have to play is specific). The same would apply to other things like legendary armor as well, if A-Net were to implement further upgraded versions of the ancient armor set all the way up to legendary entirely obtainable by doing random stuff in Cantha then this would effectively shut-up those PvE players who constantly ask for more ways to obtain legendary armor.

I disagree with this argument. Im a returnee player  that hasnt really play since 2012-2013. Flying mounts are much harder to get and you need them, do you imagine how easy ur life is after? turtle dont and its easier. Also i have enjoyed the pure experience without the flying mounts, but up to a point u really need them. And the same goes for legendary, do you know how many sets and gold you need to expend on different characters to get sets to play different stuff? when you can just change stats with legendary items and have top-ascended stats.

Even in WvW i left just before they added the ranks. In wvw without quite some ranks and proper gears ur a free piñata farm.

And people complain about a turtle that is useless, that has no impact for new/veteran players tbh, and on top of that is much easier to get that the things i mentioned above, and at least provide some challenging content (that gw2 lacks a lot).

I would rather have the flying mounts locked behind events like this, than having to farm 12414 items/stuff that i dont enjoy and gold for idk how much time.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Confused 1

On 3/11/2022 at 1:31 AM, HellsPriest.6745 said:

I think the people that smash Soo Won should get a special skin or doubleheaded turtle or something to signify we EARNED our Turtle mount instead of crying about it

That's not inflammatory at all. It's a perfectly perfectly calm and reasonable point to persuade people to your point of view.

Now excuse me while I roll my eyes at you.

No one gives a kitten that you beat it. Congrats. I don't care for the meta, so am not beating my head against it. I am more than happy for you to have a double headed turtle or sparkly eyesore to PROVE you EARNED it you special little snowflake.

I don't exactly care about the turtle for the turtles' sake. I do care that they decided to dedicate a mastery line to it and then gate it behind hard content. Hide all the shinies in the world behind that content, I don't care one bit and I don't care about your special trophies. A mastery line in an already weak (IMO) line up of masteries, which is a main selling point of an expansion, just like elite specs - nah. That's where I draw the line. That's the entire problem with the meta. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2022 at 2:54 PM, HellsPriest.6745 said:

They did NOT ever tell you would you just GET A FREE Turtle for buying the game. They advertised that EOD gives you the opportunity to work towards getting an awesome thing like a turtle mount.

True - they told us it was a collection comparable to the roller beetle. What part of the roller beetle collection required a coordinated effort where everyone else had to bring their A game and you had to hope and pray that more than a handful of people didn't mess up? The Ley-Line Anomaly was the hardest event for that collection, and to start it all you had to do was talk to someone. Perhaps you should be blaming Anet for setting unrealistic expectations rather than players who feel disappointed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 3/12/2022 at 8:09 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

The next open world meta should require some form of PvP.

And so should the next expansion defining feature. As well as a really challenging, no portals allowed, jumping puzzle.

Next open world meta with something desireable behind it will just be a big orb floating in an empty space, no mechanics no nothing, it just asks you if you want stuff in 213897 different languages and if you press 1 you get a million gold and whatever stuff is gated behind the boss. And still ppl will complain about it being too hard.

• Confused 4

10 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

Next open world meta with something desireable behind it will just be a big orb floating in an empty space, no mechanics no nothing, it just asks you if you want stuff in 213897 different languages and if you press 1 you get a million gold and whatever stuff is gated behind the boss. And still ppl will complain about it being too hard.

Yep, you nailed it. That's exactly what people are asking for.

That was sarcasm for the people in the back.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

...as promised and advertised...

I read that argument a lot in the past few days. Can you link me the advertisement for the turtle being easy to get or anything of the sort? I mean, if ANet said something like you'll be getting that turtle in no time or the likes, it's totally on them. But I kinda doubt that aquisition was advertised at all.

Edited by lokh.2695

In the livestream (now on YouTube) announcing the Siege Turtle, they said acquisition of the Siege Turtle would be comparable to getting the Roller Beetle.  I realize we can debate "comparable" all day long, as any one thing can be "compared" to another, but I don't think getting the ST sounds even close to getting the RB.

I'm going to try to stop talking about the ST (yay, says everyone) because at this point I don't even want it, and am only debating to sell my stack of Kale now or later.  Peace, y'all, and happy gaming.

• Thanks 2