Turtle Strike Mission, end of the line

15 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I quoted it somewhere here in one of these many threads, but not interested in chasing it down at the moment. Nevertheless, if you watch the turtle guild chat preview, one of the devs (sorry, I'm terrible at remembering names) talks about it being an "on-the-box" feature, and one of the main features of the game. I don't think he uses the specific word "core", but at least for ArenaNet they did single it out as a uniquely important EoD feature in that video.

Please note before you argue against anything I'm not saying here, that all I'm pointing out is that ArenaNet said it was a specially prominent feature.

EDIT: Hey, someone responded to that post, inadvertently finding it for me through notices.

Nick Hernandez - "This is a staple piece, and kinda one of the main features we're shipping for this expansion. It's one of the back-of-the-box features..." 

Still not sure what exactly you mean by that "core" thing. It's a new thing that expansion delivers, so of course it gets highlighted -alongside other things the expansion brings- I don't see why it shouldn't be the case?

And then this still remains unanswered: It's yet another mount and while that addition is "k", I don't see by what metric it needs to be so easly unlocked. It's just something else the expansion adds that needs to be unlocked by playing specified content. Not exactly out of ordinary for expansion features, whether someone wants to call it "core" for some reason or not.

btw. thank you for the quote, helped finding the video and the point where it was said. But you know that you're conveniently cutting out that 10-20 seconds earlier he's saying: "for the acquisition method we can't really talk about what it is(...), but we can say that it is going to be faster for players in acquisition than the skyscale was as an example". So you're ommiting the part where he says what he wanted to say, while sticking to what he repeats few seconds later and literally try to hang up on the fact that he maybe almost used another similar world that might have been understood in the way you wanted it to be. Except he still didn't, but you'll now sport that out of context repetition with "e..." in your signature to pretend you've been lied to. But you were not.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Still didn't explain to me what you mean by that "core" thing. It's a new thing that expansion delivers, so of course it gets highlighted, I don't see why it shouldn't be the case?

And then this still remains unanswered: It's yet another mount and while that addition is "k", I don't see by what metric it needs to be so easly unlocked. It's just something else the expansion adds that needs to be unlocked by playing specified content. Not exactly out of ordinary for expansion features, whether someone wants to call it "core" for some reason or not. 

btw. thanks you for the quote, helped finding the video and the point where it was said. But you know that you're conveniently cutting out that 10 seconds later he's saying: "for the acquisition method we can't really talk about what it is(...), but we can say that it is going to be faster for players in acquisition than the skyscale was as an example". So you're ommiting the part where he says what he wanted to say, while sticking to what he repeats few seconds later and literally try to hang up on the fact that he maybe almost used another similar world that might have been understood in the way you wanted it to be. Except he still didn't, but you'll now sport that out of context repetition with "e..." in your signature to pretend you've been lied to. But you were not.

Too me, there is a difference between core/on-the-box/selling-point-of-the-expansion items and luxury items like the hidden Gryphon mount, cosmetics, and legendaries we all know require large amounts of time, money, and doing multiple areas of the game to achieve.

ArenaNet also thinks there is a difference between it and other things. Enough to single it out as special, though we don't have an ArenaNet explanation of what exactly is the difference between it and other things. Now, knowing you, and knowing me, we could go back and forth about it for another page of comments, but we know at least one thing from the video. The fact that it was a "back-of-the-box", "staple" feature meant the devs wanted to reassure us about the aquisition of it. It was important to them that players felt reassured about aquiring it, unlike other things that they didn't reassure us about, like the Aurene legendaries.

I don't think I was lied to. I think he wanted to say something he couldn't say, so he corrected himself.

All the best, Sobx.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Too me, there is a difference between core/on-the-box/selling-point-of-the-expansion items and luxury items like the hidden Gryphon mount, cosmetics, and legendaries we all know require large amounts of time, money, and doing multiple areas of the game to achieve.

Well, I guess that's just personal perception/expectation, since I don't see any clear line drawn between one and another in case of these additions/expansions.

ArenaNet also thinks there is a difference between it and other things. Enough to single it out as special, though we don't have an ArenaNet explanation of what exactly is the difference between it and other things.

(...)

The fact that it was an "back-of-the-box", "staple" feature meant the devs wanted to reassure us about the aquisition of it. It was important to them that players felt reassured about aquiring it, unlike other things that they reassure us about, like the Aurene legendaries.

This really seems like nothing more than your own interpretation and wishful thinking. Which you're free to have/do, but... still, that's what it looks like to me. Is it faster than skyscale? Yes, it is. Is it easier? Not necessarily, since you need some actual gameplay with specified mechanics to complete. But again, as mentioned above, nobody said it will be "easier", you're just getting the repetition out of context and hanging up on a single "e...", where in reality both times it was said to be "faster". Putting half of that quote in your signature seems like intentionally trying to bend the facts to match your expectations.

I don't think I was lied to. I think he wanted to say something he couldn't say, so he corrected himself.

Good, because you weren't. But now take that quote with the sentence that was said pretty much directly before what you've quoted. Even if he aaalmost used another, similar word, he still didn't and clearly didn't plan to. Just watch that same video ~20 seconds before your quote.

Btw. if you don't think you were lied to, I wonder what exactly is the purpose of putting that conveniently cut quote in your signature. I mean I said "I wonder", but it's clear what you're suggesting there.

All the best, Sobx.

Same.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Tough part is finding a group that suits you. I run daily LFG groups that are all training, but they fill up FAST. Many don't wanna deal with the KP/LI crowd. Theres often a few fails, but as long as everyone stays calm and persist, it always succeed, even with subpar dps.
If all else fail and you don't even want that experience, theres always the option to find and pay a carry. EoD Strikes beside the last one have 0 enrage mechanics, they could be done with 5-6 people as long as you're ok with sitting on the ground until they beat it for you

Edited by Taclism.2406
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Well, I guess that's just personal perception/expectation, since I don't see any clear line drawn between one and another in case of these additions/expansions.

This really seems like nothing more than your own interpretation and wishful thinking. Which you're free to have/do, but... still, that's what it looks like to me. Is it faster than skyscale? Yes, it is. Is it easier? Not necessarily, since you need some actual gameplay with specified mechanics to complete. But again, as mentioned above, nobody said it will be "easier", you're just getting the repetition out of context and hanging up on a single "e...", where in reality both times it was said to be "faster". Putting half of that quote in your signature seems like intentionally trying to bend the facts to match your expectations.

Good, because you weren't. But now take that quote with the sentence that was said pretty much directly before what you've quoted. Even if he aaalmost used another, similar word, he still didn't and clearly didn't plan to. Just watch that same video ~20 seconds before your quote.

Btw. if you don't think you were lied to, I wonder what exactly is the purpose of putting that conveniently cut quote in your signature. I mean I said "I wonder", but it's clear what you're suggesting there.

Same.

I watched the whole thing several times, because I remembered them saying "easier than the skyscale", and I went to back to make sure. I then reported in one of these many threads that they didn't say that, they said "simpler and faster". I actually put it out there that I was wrong. I can put the fact that he said that twice in my sig, but it doesn't change anything, and would make an already long sig longer.

My intent is not to be deceptive at all, just to reflect my experience. I know this is not the first time you've thought I was trying to be sneaky, somehow, or hypocritical.

From my point of view they wanted us all to feel comforted about the turtle, but were limited in how they could do it and stay honest. I wish I'd picked up on that beforehand, though it probably wouldn't have changed anything.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I watched the whole thing several times, because I remembered them saying "easier than the skyscale", and I went to back to make sure. I then reported in one of these many threads that they didn't say that, they said "simpler and faster". I actually put it out there that I was wrong. I can put the fact that he said that twice in my sig, but it doesn't change anything, and would make an already long sig longer.

My intent is not to be deceptive at all, just to reflect my experience. I know this is not the first time you've thought I was trying to be sneaky, somehow, or hypocritical.

From my point of view they wanted us all to feel comforted about the skyscale, but were limited in how they could do it and stay honest. I wish I'd picked up on that beforehand, though it probably wouldn't have changed anything.

Sorry, but the usage of the color in your signature, where "a lot ea..." is bright, while the rest of the sentence is greyed out is pretty clear what you're trying to pull attention to. If that's not the point of that quote in your signature with that specific color choice, then what else is it?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Sorry, but the usage of the color in your signature, where "a lot ea..." is bright, while the rest of the sentence is greyed out is pretty clear what you're trying to pull attention to.

That's a formatting weirdness. Can you tell me how to fix it?

I typed part of it in directly, and then copy pasted the rest later. Now I can't figure out how to get them to match.

Maybe if I copy paste them somewhere else then back again? Let me go try it.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

That's a formatting weirdness. Can you tell me how to fix it?

I typed part of it in directly, and then copy pasted the rest later. Now I can't figure out how to get them to match.

Maybe if I copy paste them somewhere else then back again? Let me go try it.

😄

Ok, right. As you can see, I'm not huge on using signatures on the forum, but if you were able to diagnose possible reason for that anomaly, then the "go to" solution to try would be to use the same entry method for both parts. And then there's still the remaining question about what point you're trying to make with that -still conveniently cut out of context btw- quote in your signature if it's not to suggest you/we've been somehow lied to? I don't know how many times do I need to ask the same question to get a specific answer here? I simply don't see any other reason for that than what I've described in my last few posts.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

There we go!

Now it's not so bright, too.

I originally messed with it some and just gave up, but retyping it from the start fixed it.

Right. So you still can't decide on the alternative reasoning for why you've put it in your signature, eh? Sorry, but it really seems rather obvious despite what you've claimed above.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Right. So you still can't decide on the alternative reasoning for why you've put it in your signature, eh? Sorry, but it really seems rather obvious despite what you've claimed above.

Mostly I run out of interest in going back and forth with you. Especially since you're too clever and see through all my lies and ulterior motives.

They singled out the turtle as important to reassure us regarding the aquisition. They could only go so far and be honest. That's what I see in my sig.

EDIT: They didn't lie. That's what being honest means.

Edited by Gibson.4036
Clearing up any confusion without adding yet another post to this thread.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 3/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, yoni.7015 said:

So far I have never experienced toxicity while I was doing strike missions. That seems to be a myth. Maybe try and see it from Anet’s perspective: we got this feature everyone wants, the turtle, and we got this feature we want to promote, the strike missions. Combining this two seems not that stupid to me. The strike mission was daily yesterday. Some in the group I did it with, did it for the turtle and it was their first time doing EoD strike missions. After we finished they said that they liked it and will do it more often. Of course there are also people that won’t do strike missions again. But you can never satisfy everyone. 
After Thursday you don’t have to do the meta to get the egg. You can just buy it. 

Sadly, I was on the receiving end of toxic behaviour in both strikes and fractals so I avoid both.  Recently, I needed a strike mission to complete a collection and though I told the folks I didn't know the fight, they kicked me before I had a chance to loot the chest, with the 'you don't have alacrity'.  Why didn't they kick me at the start rather than straight after we finished the boss?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

On 3/14/2022 at 8:11 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

Mostly I run out of interest in going back and forth with you. Especially since you're too clever and see through all my lies and ulterior motives.

They singled out the turtle as important to reassure us regarding the aquisition. They could only go so far and be honest. That's what I see in my sig.

So you do feel lied to. For the sake of clarity, lets include the actual quote from the same source, without the "conveniently misinterpreted sutter" here though:

"for the acquisition method we can't really talk about what it is(...), but we can say that it is going to be faster for players in acquisition than the skyscale was as an example" 

And that's what it is.

On 3/14/2022 at 8:11 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

EDIT: They didn't lie. That's what being honest means.

Ah, so you're including those quotes in your signature in an attempt to point out they were honest about it. I'll keep that in mind next time you're using it in another "turtle acquisition complaint" thread, because up until now these posts seemed like something completely different. 😄  

e: well, seems like in the end that signature is gone now.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, fizzypetal.7936 said:

Sadly, I was on the receiving end of toxic behaviour in both strikes and fractals so I avoid both.  Recently, I needed a strike mission to complete a collection and though I told the folks I didn't know the fight, they kicked me before I had a chance to loot the chest, with the 'you don't have alacrity'.  Why didn't they kick me at the start rather than straight after we finished the boss?

Hard to say, but the chances are the lfg had a message announcing they were looking for someone providing alacrity. If you've joined the group, apparently "filling alacrity spot", while not applying alacrity (which they've noticed during the fight, I guess?), then you were taken as someone who came to get the rewards on backs of other players instead of someone who tried contributing. They can't kick you during, but apparently they can kick you right after? And I guess they did it, because until the fight started, they didn't know you don't provide alacrity.

If there was nothing about alacrity in the squad description, then... I have nothing, maybe just actually toxic players. Never had anyone do that to me though, maybe you were extremely unlucky.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just completed the Keineng Overlook strike mission fair and square today after so many attempts thwarted by lag outs and disconnects.  Didn't even die, rarely even got downed.  Still no turtle thruster control unit.  Submitted a bug report, but this last piece just isn't forthcoming.  Super frustrating, and a serious fun-killer.  Did all the work (multiple times in many cases, due to buggy events), but still can't actually get to enjoy the one reward I've taken this major detour from actually enjoying the game to acquire.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

All of you who complain about one of the easiest group contents ever should remember that you play an MMO. If you wanted to play a solo game there is a million amazing solo games on steam. You decided to play a cooperative game. And you complain that it needs cooperation? Get out of your bubbles! The strike is easy. If you think understanding basic english and reading the strategies from your commander is hard then maybe just don't get the turtle. What can i say. Also yes. You should get kicked if you refuse to play the proper gear and build. This is group content in a group game which you chose to play. And you wonder why people ask you what will you bring to the group?
...You can play whatever you like on your own and in open world. Don't be mad that people kick you if you don't even bother to try. Not even bother to learn a basic rotation of your skills.
By the way. The build is literally copy paste from snowcrows. The gear can be simple exotic with cheap sigils and runes. and the rotation you just have to look the basic skill priority in snowcrows. It takes not even an hour to learn the basics of any dps build.

• Confused 9
  • Sad 1

I honestly don't know what's going on with this. I mean, it's one thing to have poor quality content and writing. That can be explained by cynicism, it being a cashgrab, and general laziness. What's the goal of... locking a PvE open world mastery behind forced raid content though? Isn't forced raid content what people cam eot GW2 to get away from?

That, in particular, confuses me. There's a lot that confuses me about GW2. Which is why I think some saw the tide turning and got out while they could. Such as Mr. Abernathy being at Bungie now.

See, this feels like corporate sabotage. Otherwise I just don't get it. It makes absolutely no sense. It was baffling to me that they brought back Colin, that fool almost sank ArenaNet with Heart of Thorns... He's been given another chance to sink it again?

The thing is is that the turtle being locked behind the Dragon's End meta, the Dragon's End meta being the way it is, and then requiring a strike that's very difficult and stressful for people who don't raid? That has Colin Johanson written all over it and it feels kinda like corporate sabotage!

The kind of person who plays GW2 is a casual, for the most part. Now, consider that someone with a case of extreme social anxiety, who's made ill by being forced to interact with others not on their own terms, gets their turtle and finds out that they now have to do a strike to complete it? That person is gone. I've heard from a lot of people like that, and that's why I'm convinced that End of Dragons is a flop.

The question is, WHY?

That's what bothers me. It feels like with End of Dragons they did everything so perfectly to alienate as many of their demographics as they could.

* They went overboard with the millennial speak, to a valley-girl extent, for an expansion set in an analogue of Asia;

* They made their metas unbalanced to the point of being unplayable for anyone but organised raid groups;

* They made jade bots as hostile to players who roll alts as possible, despite them being the largest demographic;

* The open world zones feel oppressively empty of the kind of content that most GW2 players love, and you're forced to get around them with ziplines due to the lack of waypoints;

* The colour usage feels intentionally puke-y, to the point where it actively affects people with motion sickness (and they refuse to add accessibility options for those people to help them);

* Everything from the writing, to the visual asset clipping (as Jaunty pointed out), to the asset flipping (reuse) feels bizarrely lazy compared to all past content, even The Icebrood Saga;

* PvPers were given nothing, and the e-specs didn't provide a new meta;

* They force you to kill Soo-Won—written to be the loveliest and most benevolent person alive—when instead you could've used Aurene's immunity to give her immunity and force out the Dragonvoid, but no, you get to feel like a psychopath (I know I'm not the only person bothered by this).

Again, the question is WHY?

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but too much of this feels like design. I don't really understand Capitalism so maybe there's a reason for that, some nonsense about stocks or what have you, but... I don't know, it just feels like sabotage.

I wouldn't have believed this but they've just done so much that it's been driven comically over the edge into something that couldn't have all been intentional. It's just too much. It's a spectacular feat to do everything wrong, so that you alienate almost all of your demographic beyond hardcore raiders. That's a special achievement.

How can that not be intentional? I can't wrap my mind around incompetence of that magnitude, so I don't believe that it is. It can't be. There has to be some reason as to why End of Dragons was designed to be so dreadful and of such poor quality.

This is dizzying to me.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I totally agree with the OP. I've had multiple tries on the Strike and always wiped. Except the one try where the mission bugged all those groups were casual. For the last two days in the rare time I knew ahead of time that I will be on the computer long enough to try again not group was in LFG. Personally I know the mechanics and how to deal with them but struggle with seeing where Li is facing above all the clutter even with GFX set to best performance.

I'm not sure if I'm a drag on the group or just have bad luck but I absolutely hate the idea of being the latter. To me going trough this again and again with no reward for something I paid for (and YES this was the ONLY reason I bought EoD) is an extremely unfun experience. At this point I'm sure I'll not buy another expansion, especially not prepurchase because I feel ripped off and it may be very well the end of the line for me when it comes to future content or possibly even the game itself. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1