Turtle Strike Mission, end of the line

1 hour ago, yoni.7015 said:

There are always people that don’t like specific things and complain, take the GoB for example. But is this a reason to change anything? Not really. 
They are combining two features of the expansion, nothing wrong with that. 

controversial example. As a pve player, i'm supportive of gob available in pve events AND gift of exploration available in wvw/pvp

the pvp element of legendary making can be bought off TP, i dont see why wvw cant

personally i stock track pots over time, tried wvw but it bores the hell out of me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I managed to do it on my first try. While the fight itself is fun, everything regarding getting into it is exactly why this is my first and last strike mission.

It takes too long to find a group, you have to spend a lot of time spamming refresh for a group that doesn't ask you to link completely crazy things (often things unrelated to strikes, like a raid item), or doesn't demand you play very specific 'strike meta' specs. On top of that, you also need to decrypt a ton of 'lingo' completely alien to any player that never did this sort of content before.

Effectively the GW2 community is doing some very serious gate-keeping here... and ultimately I do not understand why. The strike mission wasn't particularly difficult, the mechanics can be explained with a few words in chat, and the only really mandatory thing here is having 2 healers and 8 DPS - a baseline minimum that an auto-group finder could solve, bypassing all this nonsense gate-keeping.

Edited by Raap.9065
(added comment for a group finder)
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

GoB is a poor comparison anyway. Legendaries have always been the long grind reward requiring play in many areas. Unlike expansion core features.

It was just an example of another thing people complain about. You don’t have to do WvW or PvP for the turtle. Just open world and a strike mission, another core feature of this expansion. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 3

Group content can be unnecessarily tense, but it is up to your group to be realistic about your circumstances with the intent of troubleshooting pain points.  They always occur.  And if your group as a whole can't, you can.  A simple gesture of motivation or contribution can literally make a hot-headed group stop in their tracks.  Most people are as on edge as you.

With that being said...one thing that continues to be a problem (perhaps THE problem) is the continued class limitations and power creep.  It certainly reflects on people's ability to be confident.  I wouldn't fault anyone for feeling scared at bringing a Daredevil or something into a strike.  They're going to get opposition.  But they should have every right to bring the class that they like and works best for them.  It should remain item #1 on Anet's menu of reformation until it's fixed.  It is a frontline source of discomfort in getting people acclimated to more challenging content.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Minjin.8259 said:

This is the thing, you get some people saying it's not hard.  Then others say it's impossible.  (I can't say either way I haven't done it yet.)  But what isn't hard for you might be for me or vice versa.  People have different abilities.  In real life I have a very specialized business, and what I do isn't hard...for me.  But it's also a successful business because many other people can't do it.  Easy or hard is incredibly subjective.

but dead isnt as subjective. And the EoD Strike Missions are pretty dead. I dont see many people asking for EoD strike missions in the LFG. I want the combat tonics. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I just completed the strike.

I found there weren't any groups doing it that weren't asking for KP or LI sadly, which meant I had to swallow my anxiety, pop some St John's Wort, and advertise for my own casual friendly group with the supportive voice of a friend making jokes of me in the background... the group filled in seconds. That was the hardest part, and something not everyone with anxiety will be able to do.

Some mechanics I can see being too much for some also. There's a lot of dodges required to avoid insta-down attacks, though helpfully the arrows on the ground tell you which direction they will move - when you can see them. There's a lot of visual noise. Like, a lot. You need to keep eyes open on yourself and others too when the numbers appear above your head so that you can move away and be prepared to block or dodge, and the same for the AOE which locks on too.
For most of the rest of it, it's a typical case of avoiding the red or orange, and attacking the enemy when they're open, bursting them down as much as you can - i.e. the easy part.

It took several tries. We had to witness the mechanics first hand, learn when they were about to trigger, and then learn what to do with that information. I'm a relatively decent player and was downed in some simply demeaning moments as we learned because I made a mistake or wasn't quick enough (or in one instance, a bug which prevented continuation).
I don't believe it to be a terrible encounter, but I understand the frustration. Stick at it, that's all I can say.

As for those who find it difficult to mix with others, such as myself, who often play solo or only have a small group of trusted friends, those I feel for. Instance group content doesn't often take into account the basic difficulty some of us have communicating with or approaching others for help.
I personally have use for this mount with my trusted friends, and even when I play solo I still join squads on the move, so I give no validation to anyone who says "if you're not going to talk to anyone because you're anxious, why have a co-op mount?" Just because that thing, doesn't mean I'm not happy to provide silent support out there.

Thank you

Edited by Incar.7358
spelling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Yeah, I am not going to do the strike mission. I won't do the final meta event either.

There are plenty of things I love about GW2, from the game play mechanics themselves to the lore of the world and its many fun characters, but multi-player dungeons have never been a part of that. Never in the near decade I have played.

I swear to Lyssa, I'm still angry about the nearly 3 hours of my life that wasted on the one time I did that Forging Steel public mission. After the first 20 minutes of following a tank around, I just wanted it to be over... I utterly loathe this type of content.

Soloing a DRM? That I don't mind; It's basically a standard event in a private instance. It doesn't take forever to complete. It's not full of toxic and/or useless players.

Edited by Tatwi.3562
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

19 hours ago, Aerisskyy.8291 said:

the strike mission is dead, why because no one wants to do it, master li half the time slays the entire party the other half is the 3 goons kill you off, another time it could be the sniper and robot, that event isnt good or fun, strike mission to get turtle isnt fun, consider yourself a game for harcores and change the discription, casual players shouldnt be forced to wasted 10 plus hours or more on a stupid strike mission to get a turtle.

im starting to think the game is completely dead.

When I'm doing my daily check in the strike lfg, I always see people doing Kaineng for the turtle. But yeah sure, I guess strikes are dead, I guess the game is dead. Everyday the lfg is filled with dead people asking to do X or Y stuff. And dead people join and fill these group.

You say casual shouldnt be forced to do X. But who is forcing who ? There's nothing forcing me to do strike if I dont want to. You're doing this to yourself because you want the turtle. But if you really really dont want to do DE meta and strike then dont do it however you have no right to complain about something that is locked behind a requirement you refuses to do. 

11 hours ago, Baron Von Graymouse.7801 said:

I have been kicked from Strike Missions because I was using the wrong spec. Also, been kicked for refusing to gear check. I am glad that you have never experience this, but for you to say it doesn't exist or it is a myth is not being truthful or fair to those who have experienced this.

While there are toxic group that kick people for minor inconvenience, the majority isnt like that. Especially now because people are not looking for world records or anything. They just want their turtle so they take it chill and learn.

That being said, being kicked because you are using the wrong spec has nothing to do with toxicity. If I'm asking for Quickness and you comes in bring DPS only, I will be kicking you. You are free to play whatever you want but the group you join is also free to replace you with someone they need. Being kicked for gear check is also very rare but it does happens and usually the group lfg tells you all of that. 

11 hours ago, Baron Von Graymouse.7801 said:

I am not saying that Anet needs to give the item away. All I am saying is that there needs to be an alternate way of getting it in the open world and not being forced into instanced content that quite frankly I am not interested in doing. 

Not everything needs or has to have an alternative in open world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I like the strike mission, but the turtle is again the problem. I seriously doubt that population of players, that strike missions are meant for, overlaps nicely with the population of players the turtles are meant for.

And now we have players biting the bullet and playing something, that they don't really want to play, alongside players that have to hit those HP sponges that much harder to compensate for it, dragging the fight on and on and on. Whom of them is supposed to find joy in this?

And who is this turtle meant for anyway? Raiders only?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Not everything needs or has to have an alternative in open world. 

The strike mission requirement is probably meant to advertise the content, that's all. Logically speaking  what you replied to makes some sense though, think about where the reward is actually usable. Only in the open world, not in strikes, not in WvW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Peterson.5172 said:

maybe anet could change it to aetherblade, simpler & shorter, less of a time cost to re-try, and less likely to annoy some people out of strikes

Hmmm Kaineng is probably the easiest anyway. And least mechanics. Aether is shorter though. I mean aether is easy but the 3 circle sniper thing can plain wipe you. You have to cc, you have to jump (well at least should).

There is really nothing in kaineng that cant be recovered from. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/12/2022 at 6:31 PM, Zok.4956 said:

It could even be, that players, who struggled with the fight in the story

On every of my melee characters I picked the Aurene bubble at Ankka. Such blatant melee hate on that one I just wanted to get through it and not be bothered by that nonsense specter chasing you around while you can't do anything at all or her teleporting into the bad and you waving at her from the distance.

My Ele also got downed twice while trying out Catalyst before Mai decided to invoke Scarlett, she actually has some serious output in melee range with that saber as it turns out and Catalyst is really kittening squishy for a bruiser-ish spec.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Jajo.1428 said:

I like the strike mission, but the turtle is again the problem. I seriously doubt that population of players, that strike missions are meant for, overlaps nicely with the population of players the turtles are meant for.

And now we have players biting the bullet and playing something, that they don't really want to play, alongside players that have to hit those HP sponges that much harder to compensate for it, dragging the fight on and on and on. Whom of them is supposed to find joy in this?

And who is this turtle meant for anyway? Raiders only?

Surely don't overlap.

Turtle have a appeal to "child'" cuz "ride a turtle". In topics, there some parents  who relate that they bought this xpac thinking in their children. The so bashed "casuals" play this game even in family.

Or to WvWer's who are predicting that the mount can be used there in the future.

Both tends to hate pve-intense raid like.

And instanced content? well, mount can't even be used here. the SpeedRunners crowds are interested in economics, number. If is a content producer, are interested in making cool videos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

Both tends to hate pve-intense raid like.

Ah cmon youre talking out of your behind. I'm a parent and an WvWer and I like strikes, especially the new ones and don't mind I have to complete strikes for anything. And I know plenty parents from my 2 main guilds.

If my dauther would have an issue with getting anything, I can always help her, but this one is so trivial someone can just wipe and stay down till the end (not like this is a must since it really not hard).

And with WvW guild we actually really like strikes and fractals. We like pve content that is actually a bit challenging and strikes are fast so we dont need to commit many hours like for raids. So if there is lack of content in WvW we go for some strikes. And I know plenty of WvW guilds that also raid or WvWers that have also raid guilds.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

I managed to clear it but all it did was remind me this game really needs to go back to 1party/5man instanced content because it's not fun or interesting at all with how cluttered the screen is. Considering it's a forced-intro to strikes and raids to get people interested; it really does the opposite. Alas we'll continue to be forced into such things with no QoL. 

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/11/2022 at 10:02 PM, Aerisskyy.8291 said:

The Strike mission is hard, with soo-wong 50 man team comped can do it, but for most people they  dont want to waste there time on a dead meta, however the strike missions going to kill the casual players on getting a turtle, unless you dumb down the strike mission level difficulty, most dont do strike missions as casuals, i refuse strikes and raids but if anet keeps trying to force me into content i do not, want then the game wont be fun anymore, think of the casual players.

i got better things to do then be rammed down my throat strike missions, raids, if arena net isnt planning another exspansion and its going to cater to the elitests, then fine, the game will be dead to me.

i want pve and fun, not here we gave you a way to buy a turtle however you must be forced into a strike mission.

the strike mission is dead, why because no one wants to do it, master li half the time slays the entire party the other half is the 3 goons kill you off, another time it could be the sniper and robot, that event isnt good or fun, strike mission to get turtle isnt fun, consider yourself a game for harcores and change the discription, casual players shouldnt be forced to wasted 10 plus hours or more on a stupid strike mission to get a turtle.

im starting to think the game is completely dead.

just my 2 cents.

let the debate begin.

~Commander Eirena Skyy

Just get better. Its not hard. Look up a guide on how to DPS as your build. Sorry to say this. But get good. I love the game.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 3

On 3/12/2022 at 7:54 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

GoB is a poor comparison anyway. Legendaries have always been the long grind reward requiring play in many areas. Unlike expansion core features.

What exactly do you mean by "expansion core features"? It's yet another mount and while that addition is "k", I don't see by what metric it needs to be so easly unlocked. It's just something else the expansion adds that needs to be unlocked by playing specified content. Not exactly out of ordinary for expansion features, whether someone wants to call it "core" for some reason or not.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What exactly do you mean by "expansion core features"? 

I quoted it somewhere here in one of these many threads, but not interested in chasing it down at the moment. Nevertheless, if you watch the turtle guild chat preview, one of the devs (sorry, I'm terrible at remembering names) talks about it being an "on-the-box" feature, and one of the main features of the game. I don't think he uses the specific word "core", but at least for ArenaNet they did single it out as a uniquely important EoD feature in that video.

Please note before you argue against anything I'm not saying here, that all I'm pointing out is that ArenaNet said it was a specially prominent feature.

EDIT: Hey, someone responded to that post, inadvertently finding it for me through notices.

Nick Hernandez - "This is a staple piece, and kinda one of the main features we're shipping for this expansion. It's one of the back-of-the-box features..." 

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2