Why must the level 80 boost occupy a shared inventory slot?

I mean, come on.  I have one of every profession at 80.  I won't use this until the far distant future if a new class ever comes out.  I'd love to stow this in my bank until then and be able to actually use the shared slot for something that I need now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

That is the whole point of the boost, so you can unlock the slot.

If a future expansion does come with a new class, it is likely to provide a level 80 boost anyways. Every expansion has, and only one actually introduced a new class.

Btw the only real use of the boost is the convienience of not clicking through the level up chests. Other than that you just  get some stones, boosters, and teleport to friends but you can get  those by just using the boost on any character.

Personally I just used it for a new duplicate of a class I already had since new character slots cost less than templates.

But I have used one just to get the items.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've always assumed it's to stop new players losing or deleting it. If you bought GW2 after HoT came out you get a level 80 booster right away so it's likely to be the first rare/valuable item a lot of players get and therefore the one they're most likely to lose track of or accidentally delete (for example by putting it into a character's inventory and then deleting the character). Putting it into a shared inventory slot and making it impossible to remove without using it means that can't happen and customer support don't have to deal with all the tickets that would be created if it was.

It might be a good idea to add an option like if you've already got a level 80 character you can put it into the bank, because by then you probably know how to keep track of important items, but I have no idea if that's possible.

By the way you can use the boost on a character who is already level 80. It won't change their build at all and it will give them all the items from the boost as well as removing it from the shared inventory slot. If you don't want another character now it's a good option because it frees up the slot and you can always save up tomes of knowledge or birthday scrolls to level another character.

I might do that with the EoD one. I'm hesitating because I do have another character in mind and I'd want him to be a deadeye right away so the boost would be useful, but I don't even have time for the ones I've got so I'm not sure I want to make another.

Yeah, tons of threads about this.

I ended up buying a new character slot and wasting it on leveling another character.

You got me Anet, good job, pat yourself on the back, your anti consumer practices managed to wrangle more money out of me.

So i'd say it's working as intended. 

EDIT: I hope people can appreciate the irony of me having to buy an item to use an item i paid for already. 

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Yeah, tons of threads about this.

I ended up buying a new character slot and wasting it on leveling another character.

You got me Anet, good job, pat yourself on the back, your anti consumer practices managed to wrangle more money out of me.

So i'd say it's working as intended. 

EDIT: I hope people can appreciate the irony of me having to buy an item to use an item i paid for already. 

I don't understand why that was necessary. If you didn't want another character why didn't you just use the boost on an existing character?

11 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I don't understand why that was necessary. If you didn't want another character why didn't you just use the boost on an existing character?

Cause it's a waste of money then. I paid for both by preordering the expansion. It says it comes with a shared inventory slot AND a level 80 boost.

But since they made it impossible to separate them without expending the lvl 80 boost, i needed to either:

1. Spend the lvl 80 boost on nothing, deleting 95% of it's value on the spot - therefore "spending that value on being able to use a shared inventory slot

or

2. Purchasing a character slot so i can get full value of the lvl 80 boost - yet still spending value on being able to use the shared slot.

So you see, in either case, i needed to expend additional value to access the value i already paid for.

Since you have to spend one to acces the other, that's just an inch from the line of being false advertising. Nice dodge Anet btw.

In both situations, i'm required to spend additional value (either in gems or by not deleting a thing i paid for), to use a shared inventory slot - that i paid for to begin with.

And it's a neat little system to make it all seem like it's my choice, when really, it isn't.

I was "guided" into that direction by that system. And that's 100% anti consumer. 

As for the character slot? What if i wanted to grind gold to convert to gems to later spend on a character slot? But since i wanted to use the thing i paid for, the shared character slot now, not let it rot for god knows how long, i "made a decision" to buy a character slot. About the character? I'll probably use it one day. But til then it's just "kinda here". I didn't want or need it right now. I wanted it on my own terms.

And if you said it's on me, you'd be right. I agree, i didn't have to, blah blah, all the 99% arguments anyone can spew definitely apply here. But i still can't shake the feeling that i was Anet's little kitten in this transaction. And when your customer is left feeling that way, there's something wrong here, no matter how you try to justify it. 

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Cause it's a waste of money then. I paid for both by preordering the expansion. It says it comes with a shared inventory slot AND a level 80 boost.

But since they made it impossible to separate them without expending the lvl 80 boost, i needed to either:

1. Spend the lvl 80 boost on nothing, deleting 95% of it's value on the spot - therefore "spending that value on being able to use a shared inventory slot

or

2. Purchasing a character slot so i can get full value of the lvl 80 boost - yet still spending value on being able to use the shared slot.

So you see, in either case, i needed to expend additional value to access the value i already paid for.

Since you have to spend one to acces the other, that's just an inch from the line of being false advertising. Nice dodge Anet btw.

In both situations, i'm required to spend additional value (either in gems or by not deleting a thing i paid for), to use a shared inventory slot - that i paid for to begin with.

And it's a neat little system to make it all seem like it's my choice, when really, it isn't.

I was "guided" into that direction by that system. And that's 100% anti consumer. 

As for the character slot? What if i wanted to grind gold to convert to gems to later spend on a character slot? But since i wanted to use the thing i paid for, the shared character slot now, not let it rot for god knows how long, i "made a decision" to buy a character slot. About the character? I'll probably use it one day. But til then it's just "kinda here". I didn't want or need it right now. I wanted it on my own terms.

And if you said it's on me, you'd be right. I agree, i didn't have to, blah blah, all the 99% arguments anyone can spew definitely apply here. But i still can't shake the feeling that i was Anet's little kitten in this transaction. And when your customer is left feeling that way, there's something wrong here, no matter how you try to justify it. 

The boost and slot comes regardless; you don't have to preorder for that. I only preordered to use the inventory slot a bit faster.

If we really value the level 80 boost at 2000 gems, that's $ 25.... and they're selling the game for $30.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

The boost and slot comes regardless; you don't have to preorder for that. I only preordered to use the inventory slot a bit faster.

If we really value the level 80 boost at 2000 gems, that's $ 25.... and they're selling the game for $40.

Like i said, no matter how you try to justify it, or how much anyone thinks boost is worth or isn't, that still doesn't mean that locking the boost to the inventory slot until you spend it, isn't anti consumer, and there isn't really any argument on why Anet couldn't just make it go in the normal inventory/bank slot. They are the ones who program the game, they are the ones who purpusefully programmed that thing to only be allowed in the shared slot. There is no reason they couldn't have programmed it differently. Hence - they did that on purpose, and it leaves a sour taste in the mouth a bit. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Like i said, no matter how you try to justify it, or how much anyone thinks boost is worth or isn't, that still doesn't mean that locking the boost to the inventory slot until you spend it, isn't anti consumer, and there isn't really any argument on why Anet couldn't just make it go in the normal inventory/bank slot. They are the ones who program the game, they are the ones who purpusefully programmed that thing to only be allowed in the shared slot. There is no reason they couldn't have programmed it differently. Hence - they did that on purpose, and it leaves a sour taste in the mouth a bit. 

Yea but I hardly consider it false advertising.

If you bought it under the expectation you would have an 80 boost, then you knew beforehand you would need to buy a new character slot to make use of it at all.

You can't just have your cake and eat it too.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Yea but I hardly consider it false advertising.

I said and i quote:

1 hour ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

I specifically said it's not false advertising, just very close, but that it actually isn't.

44 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

If you bought it under the expectation you would have an 80 boost, then you knew beforehand you would need to buy a new character slot to make use of it at all.

Did i? What if i had max slots? Then i practically paid for something that i have to delete. Or not get its full value. 

And what if i did want another character, but not right now? Does the fact that "i wanted a character anyway" excuse the conscious decision to make it impossible to take out of the shared slot?

46 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

You can't just have your cake and eat it too.

OMG you're really starting to dig deep for thin arguments to justify Anet's scummy practices. Don't encourage bad behavieour. 

I can indeed have my cake and eat it too, or would have, had Anet just coded that lvl 80 boost differently. But they didn't do that on purpose, to "illicit a desired result". That's not excusable and don't be a sheep.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, gduber.9756 said:

I mean, come on.  I have one of every profession at 80.  I won't use this until the far distant future if a new class ever comes out.  I'd love to stow this in my bank until then and be able to actually use the shared slot for something that I need now.

I agree

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

specifically said it's not false advertising, just very close, but that it actually isn't.

Oh I know, I disagree on that point too.

Did i? What if i had max slots? Then i practically paid for something that i have to delete. Or not get its full value. 

You don't get its full value unless you buy a new character slot anyways. So how were you going to take advantage of it regardless?

This is true even if they were put separately, lol.

. That's not excusable and don't be a sheep.

Yea, I can just be not a sheep by just blindly agreeing with you.

If the boost gem was moveable, we would probably not get the free shared inventory slot... and people would complain about that ha ha. 

I am not going to use my boost until a new profession comes out (which is likely never), but I did not pay for the shared slot it is in, so no worries. 😎

1 hour ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Oh I know, I disagree on that point too.

You don't get its full value unless you buy a new character slot anyways. So how were you going to take advantage of it regardless?

This is true even if they were put separately, lol.

Yea, I can just be not a sheep by just blindly agreeing with you.

That's not how you worded it but fine.

Agree to disagree then.