Path of Fire is becoming a ghost town.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@GreyWolf.8670 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:Keep in mind these maps are bigger than previous maps, everything is more spread out, therefore the player base will be more spread out...
**I've only had one instance of getting the notice that a map is closing because of diminishing population
**....that should tell you everything you need to know.

That could just mean there isn't another map to put you in. You may be in the only instance.

I believe the max map population is 150. With five new PoF maps, if there's only one instance, then that would mean less than 750 players in PoF. Say 1500 to take into account US/EU split. Really?

@Nikal.4921 said:Nothing going on in PoF zones this morning, so I logged. This has become an all-too-common occurrence. What's the point of playing PoF zones if all the rewards are in the gem shop?

I can't even bear just getting out and exploring, what with hordes of insta-respawn mobs tailing me every foot of the way. I just, I'm just really disappointed.

Yeah, I have to second this. It was really great for the first couple of weeks, but they just didn't do a good enough job of making it attractive for the longer term. I also agree that they are just putting too many "rewards" in the gem store as opposed to in-game at this point. Anyone smart should realize that repeated cash grabs don't really work and only drive away people. If you make a high quality, immersive game, people will spend money on it.

Just like with HoT before it, we needed a lot more than we got with this expansion - new weapons, new dungeons, and attractive, repeatable content. Mike calling it a "content-focused expansion" to set it apart from HoT was a false advertisement. My only hope is that LW 4 will move forward very soon and that we'll get all of these things as part of that that act to fill out the world that PoF started.

@Osu.6307 said:Anet, when people said they hated meta events because they were grindy/boring/repetitive, etc., what they really meant was "WE WANT MORE META EVENTS!!!"

The metas don't matter. It's just about what there is to work toward. People complained about metas because they required too much coordination. They were right. But, now, we don't have much that's enjoyable to work toward in PoF. I think part of the problem is that they made it so you gain mastery XP really fast when it was really slow in HoT. Part of it is that they put too much stuff in the gem store.

I logged on, and bumped into two random players in Crystal Oasis, and we went on to do tons of stuff, and went on to Desert Highlands, then the next map. There was lots of people around us doing stuff too. I have not been on and seen any of the maps empty yet. There's always people running around.

@Lestat.4970 said:

@hchadw.1097 said:

@Vyrulisse.1246 said:Nothing real meaningful or desirable that players want to work towards. No real long-term goals in the expansion. Not good enough rewards (though some were buffed today so maybe it's better in that regard for a few event chains). I wonder what could have been put in the expansion for players to work towards that would keep them around on Path of Fire maps awhile... maybe something to do with a huge addition to the game in Mounts. New mounts? No that would be too time consuming and we already have enough that's more than fair for the expansion. I know! How about some mount skins? Yeah that would be a decent reward for content, something we could work towards...

What's that? Oh you're just going to dump 30 of them into an RNG lootcrate? Oh okay... guess that works too. Can't even put a few of them in the game? No? Alright... nevermind.

Mount skins would have been nice.. oh yeah... they tossed those on the gemstore... longevity does not seem to be the goal.. .. quick buck does.....

Do you not realize how expensive it is to run a company? According to the gw2 wiki, anet has around 400 employees. Let's say the average salary is 60k (that's low balling really hard by the way). That means they would have to make 24 million USD just to pay yearly salaries. According to their outlook for q4 of this year, they are projected to make around 28 million USD. They NEED gem sales to survive.

And why would they be looking to make "a quick buck"? This is their livelihood, not some get rich quick scheme. You're complaining about cosmetic items for God's sake. Could there be a little more cosmetic items in game rather than the gem store? Sure, there could, but ultimately its just not that big of a deal so think before you spew nonsense out your mouth.

You're logic is flawed by q3 being just one quarter so lets say if avg wage was $80k then they would need 400*20k to cover wages. Then you have servers, electricity, rent, insurance, dividends to the shity ncsoft. Personally I have no issue with cosmetics being gem store only as they have created the ability to convert ingame gold to gems. All my issues are with their shity rng & focus on gambling mechanics to feed addiction. They were doing this event before mounts with the blc chests. Instead of releasing quality at a fair price they are focusing on quantity & forcing players to gamble for the best stuff. It will be very profitable for the ones who they can get to play along but it's very flawed concept unless they have rigged the gamble like they did blc chests so instead of equal odds of 1/30 for each mount you get stuff like 1/1000 for the stardust forcing players to buy more licenses to increase the odds in their favor.

Probability, who needs it?

@Skyline Crash.6254 said:

@Lestat.4970 said:

@hchadw.1097 said:

@Vyrulisse.1246 said:Nothing real meaningful or desirable that players want to work towards. No real long-term goals in the expansion. Not good enough rewards (though some were buffed today so maybe it's better in that regard for a few event chains). I wonder what could have been put in the expansion for players to work towards that would keep them around on Path of Fire maps awhile... maybe something to do with a huge addition to the game in Mounts. New mounts? No that would be too time consuming and we already have enough that's more than fair for the expansion. I know! How about some mount skins? Yeah that would be a decent reward for content, something we could work towards...

What's that? Oh you're just going to dump 30 of them into an RNG lootcrate? Oh okay... guess that works too. Can't even put a few of them in the game? No? Alright... nevermind.

Mount skins would have been nice.. oh yeah... they tossed those on the gemstore... longevity does not seem to be the goal.. .. quick buck does.....

Do you not realize how expensive it is to run a company? According to the gw2 wiki, anet has around 400 employees. Let's say the average salary is 60k (that's low balling really hard by the way). That means they would have to make 24 million USD just to pay yearly salaries. According to their outlook for q4 of this year, they are projected to make around 28 million USD. They NEED gem sales to survive.

And why would they be looking to make "a quick buck"? This is their livelihood, not some get rich quick scheme. You're complaining about cosmetic items for God's sake. Could there be a little more cosmetic items in game rather than the gem store? Sure, there could, but ultimately its just not that big of a deal so think before you spew nonsense out your mouth.

You're logic is flawed by q3 being just one quarter so lets say if avg wage was $80k then they would need 400*20k to cover wages. Then you have servers, electricity, rent, insurance, dividends to the shity ncsoft. Personally I have no issue with cosmetics being gem store only as they have created the ability to convert ingame gold to gems. All my issues are with their shity rng & focus on gambling mechanics to feed addiction. They were doing this event before mounts with the blc chests. Instead of releasing quality at a fair price they are focusing on quantity & forcing players to gamble for the best stuff. It will be very profitable for the ones who they can get to play along but it's very flawed concept unless they have rigged the gamble like they did blc chests so instead of equal odds of 1/30 for each mount you get stuff like 1/1000 for the stardust forcing players to buy more licenses to increase the odds in their favor.

Lol that's fair, oversight on my part. But regardless, they need a lot of money to survive. Historically, they only make money in the 20 mil range during expansion drops. Otherwise they're in the 10s for the other quarters. And yeah,
salaries are realistically in the 80k range and up

I'm gonna guess no. That's not a realistic assumption whatsoever. You can halve that and approach a more realistic number.

@Cuddy.6247 said:

@Lestat.4970 said:

@hchadw.1097 said:

Lol that's fair, oversight on my part. But regardless, they need a lot of money to survive. Historically, they only make money in the 20 mil range during expansion drops. Otherwise they're in the 10s for the other quarters. And yeah,

I'm gonna guess no. That's not a realistic assumption whatsoever. You can halve that and approach a more realistic number.

So you're saying game devs only get 40k right near seattle washington?

@Skyline Crash.6254 said:

@Cuddy.6247 said:

@Lestat.4970 said:

@hchadw.1097 said:

So you're saying game devs only get 40k right near seattle washington?

"Game Developer" is a broad area... there are artists who make an average of closer to 40k nationally, and programmers who make closer to 90k average nationally... Storyboarders... Designers.... PR.... Etc. The average salary range is anywhere from 35,000 to 120,000 depending on what KIND of game developer you are, with the actual average total falling around 80k (which ofc is balanced against the outliers on either end).

@DebraKadabra.5278 said:Here we go again about needing more meta events lol. PoF was specifically developed to move AWAY from the full-map timed meta events, and I for one am glad that that changed.

Agreed. People need to stop asking for meta events. HOT map design with meta's go against the entire design philosophy of GW2. You're supposed to run around doing stuff and change the world by doing events or failing them. HOT metas are just scheduling your playtime/fun which felt awful. I spent more time waiting around than actually playing the game.

Archived