Things that deserve higher prioritization

13 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

First of all over the years some people equals hundreds, but yes it's annecdotal.

HOWEVER,  you're the one that made a sweeping generalization. You said anyone that came after 2013 is having terrible experience because they've missed season 1. It's factually untrue.  If I find a single person that doesn't have a problem, what you said is factually untrue.  And of course, I know more than a single person. It's not annecdotal to them, for sure, since its their feelings.  I'd be able to play it and even though I'd wish I could play it it wouldn't particularly ruin the game for me. That's not annecdotal either.  

When you make sweeping statements and state them as fact, you shouldn't be surprised when people call you on it.

To be fair. I know a huge amount of people who generally like story rich games but are entirely disinterested in GW2s story just because of how much effort it is to get into it. Just as anecdote. I played since day 1, enjoyed my peronal story. It was a main driving factor when playing initially before dropping off due to the lack of endgame originally. 

Rejoined a few years later near the end of LWS2. And never cared about story since. I was confused by the story, disliked new lions arch and completely detached. 

The story experience at this point in time is not particularly good for new players. Both due to the order that is encouraged
(The currently common path is Personal Story -> HoT -> PoF -> EoD -> IBS -> LW4 -> LWS3 -> LWS2. That's an absolute mess of story structure)

Also, it sounds like they aren't just getting it back but updating. Which would also be excellent. Improving the onboarding experience, teaching players the mechanics of the game better, making some more end game content like the announced instanced version of battle for lions arch. Great stuff.

I've had a major problem with how ANet moves forward blindly leaving behind dead content and deteriorating the experience many people have. When it can be updated with relatively little effort and enriching our game experience once again. 

Going through that old content, updating it, making the content enjoyable again and worth doing would be fantastic. On a slow burner, sure. It shouldn't take away too much attention from development of new content, of the different active modes and such.

But I'm extremely happy they consider improving the earlier parts of the game both for my personal enjoyment and because of how clear this signal is in terms of the long term planning going on. They are still looking to branch out to new audiences and see value updating the experience. More players, new players, long term plans and solid steps towards a more well rounded game with a better learning curve (e.g. IBS -> EoD strikes). To me that's a reason to be extremely happy about the current state of things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, of course they have to "update" LW1 because the entire thing was something that could only be gone through once.  If a player didn't keep up with it, then they missed out on content.  This goes against pretty much all PvE that came after.

I wonder, then, will Anet "update" Kessex Hills?  How will that work out for players after they progress through LW1?  How would it impact players who don't engage with LW1 or skip it entirely?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Well, of course they have to "update" LW1 because the entire thing was something that could only be gone through once.  If a player didn't keep up with it, then they missed out on content.  This goes against pretty much all PvE that came after.

I wonder, then, will Anet "update" Kessex Hills?  How will that work out for players after they progress through LW1?  How would it impact players who don't engage with LW1 or skip it entirely?

I guess I imagine a lot of it will be more instanced based.  

Of course I don’t actually know, and don’t pretend to, but I could see the Attack on LA, the whole retaking LA, many of them could be more instanced based.

As one of the story steps is based in old LA, with all of the old guild coming together there, I could envision them expanding sections of that older map to allow for replaying story steps.  I kind of figure that’s what happens for most of the areas that story steps take place in.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

I guess I imagine a lot of it will be more instanced based.  

Of course I don’t actually know, and don’t pretend to, but I could see the Attack on LA, the whole retaking LA, many of them could be more instanced based.

As one of the story steps is based in old LA, with all of the old guild coming together there, I could envision them expanding sections of that older map to allow for replaying story steps.  I kind of figure that’s what happens for most of the areas that story steps take place in.  

Yeah, I can see it being more instanced, too.

1 hour ago, ewenness.6482 said:

They're Schrodinger's employees. Depending on the argument at hand they were either not working on GW2 or they were all developers integral to GW2.

Actually, the deciding factor about whether most of those devs were working on GW2 or something else was not quantum mechanics. It was something much simpler - time. Most of those devs that were fired from other projects, came to those projects after being moved off GW2. That's how GW2 lost a whole expansion team worth of devs in-between PoF and IBS.

So, yeah. Most devs affected by layoffs were not working on GW2... at that moment. But most of them were GW2 devs at some point before that. And of course some of the people that were still working on GW2 then also got laid off.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ewenness.6482 said:

They're Schrodinger's employees. Depending on the argument at hand they were either not working on GW2 or they were all developers integral to GW2.

That's because it wasn't a binary situation. Most of the layoffs were not directly for GW2 developers, however, they were using Arenanet's resources, and therefore shared resources with GW2 developers. Moreover, most had come from working on GW2 prior. 

GW2 definitely suffered tremendously as a result of all of that rigmarole regardless of what that specific ratio looked like, both leading up to and after the layoffs.

Edited by Einlanzer.1627
  • Thanks 2

Heh.  Not about nostalgia, right?

7 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

What a great idea!  While I'm usually all about the nostalgia, revisiting Cantha and the upcoming return to LS1 should scratch that itch.  I agree that it's time to see someplace completely new.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Dunno about you, but if an author released a book (GW2) and the first 1,000 copies included the first chapter (LS1) yet every copy after that had the first chapter removed and replaced with a bullet list overview (LS1 cinematic), I'd be pretty happy to hear that a new version of the book was being put out that included that first chapter, and that reason wouldn't be 'yay nostalgia!' so much as 'god, finally, I can read the whole story'.

If your point is that ArenaNet shouldn't constantly rely on nostalgia when fresh alternatives are available, then I can agree with you, however I very much doubt bringing back LS1 and expanding the Canthan continent in LS6 is about that when there's already been so much feedback that GW2 Cantha is very different from the GW1 iteration. Nestled in the announcement article was also the big news that there will be a 4th expansion for the game, so while they may be tidying up old content in preparation for new arrivals and fleshing out the last of the GW1 landmasses, that seems to me like tying off loose ends in order to move forward instead of half-exploring them and moving on immediately.

The dragons will be done, the three primary GW1 locations will be done. Doesn't that then clear the stage for the novel content you seem to want?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

To be honest. It doesn't sound like it's about nostalgia. It may be a nice side factor but that's not a particularly good reason.

Cantha had a lot of concept art and world building already done. LWS1 literally exists and needed a facelift with some reformatting. 

That sounds more like they wanna pump out cool content while spending huge amounts of effort behind the scenes to prepare and rework things for the long term. And therefore minimizing the amount of work needed to keep things going in the now. 

• Like 1