Ranger weak now

Sansar.1302

6 hours ago, Sansar.1302 said:

Been playing since the first year, right now ranger feels so weak, i think this is the weakest ranger ever have been.

I only play spvp and wvw.

I dont know your build but I would say it is at its strongest right now. I mean I'm almost leaning towards it being a bit OP in gold since there is a cheese build which can one shot people.

The ranger kit in general is very strong, even without the much condi cleans currently the biggest threats in PvP are high burst power builds. The Longbow ranger can really shut them down and for every else you have Greatsword. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Sansar.1302 said:

usualy sit in plat 1 or 2, and i can not remember when ranger where this weak

Hmm I haven't played pvp competively for so long prior to EoD so I guess I don't really know. I mean 1 ranger per match on average is okay, I has been a bit saturated of late with Willbenders but if you nerf those it would definitely be 1 ranger per match. 

12 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

I dont know your build but I would say it is at its strongest right now. I mean I'm almost leaning towards it being a bit OP in gold since there is a cheese build which can one shot people.

The ranger kit in general is very strong, even without the much condi cleans currently the biggest threats in PvP are high burst power builds. The Longbow ranger can really shut them down and for every else you have Greatsword. 

Mate...the OP is right...if I jump on a willbender..I'd be on you in a blink of an eye and destroy the oneshot lb build, once you know how ranger works..it becomes the easiest class to down and that's the reason you don't see the class being played at the highest levels of PvP or picked as top roamer by gank groups.

The confuse emotes on the OP post are from silver/bronzies who don't know where the dodge button is

In reality ranger suffers from very obvious issues :

1) Low access to stability...lowest among all classes...only  better than thief at this point but yeah...thief won't even need that much stability

2) Pets are mostly dead weight at this point after several nerfs, I don't use anything outside smokescale/birds/gazelle...everything is stupidly useless against decent players

3) Class didn't keep very well with mobility power creep..even my core ele is faster than my ranger....even when I use the staff/gs power build

4) Rather bad at fightning multiple opponents, when they are good is literally impossible on ranger to do anything but run.

The OP is entirely correct, the class was much much stronger in the past and the power level went way lower compared to other professions playing in a similar role.

Sustain and dmg on soulbeast is much lower compared to the past, meanwhile scrapper/holo is almost the same...say if ranger and engi were both 10 before, now ranger is a 5 where engi got lowered to just 7.

In wvw a cele scrapper/holo will outsustain a cele sb any day of the week and this is just an example, the dmg on ranger is quite subpar unless you heavily invest into and the sustain is good...but not great

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

Mate...the OP is right...if I jump on a willbender..I'd be on you in a blink of an eye and destroy the oneshot lb build, once you know how ranger works..it becomes the easiest class to down and that's the reason you don't see the class being played at the highest levels of PvP or picked as top roamer by gank groups.

The confuse emotes on the OP post are from silver/bronzies who don't know where the dodge button is

In reality ranger suffers from very obvious issues :

1) Low access to stability...lowest among all classes...only  better than thief at this point but yeah...thief won't even need that much stability

2) Pets are mostly dead weight at this point after several nerfs, I don't use anything outside smokescale/birds/gazelle...everything is stupidly useless against decent players

3) Class didn't keep very well with mobility power creep..even my core ele is faster than my ranger....even when I use the staff/gs power build

4) Rather bad at fightning multiple opponents, when they are good is literally impossible on ranger to do anything but run.

The OP is entirely correct, the class was much much stronger in the past and the power level went way lower compared to other professions playing in a similar role.

Sustain and dmg on soulbeast is much lower compared to the past, meanwhile scrapper/holo is almost the same...say if ranger and engi were both 10 before, now ranger is a 5 where engi got lowered to just 7.

In wvw a cele scrapper/holo will outsustain a cele sb any day of the week and this is just an example, the dmg on ranger is quite subpar unless you heavily invest into and the sustain is good...but not great

I think you made my point for since Ranger is very strong in anything lower than gold 3. Right now gold 3 is roughly the top 1000 (if I'm generous) players since it includes part of the top 250. 

We shall wait and see since I'm sure they will buff or change Untamed. The stability thing is not a problem since you have a utility for Soulbeast and Untamed that can dump a few stacks on yourself.

• Confused 2

39 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

I think you made my point for since Ranger is very strong in anything lower than gold 3. Right now gold 3 is roughly the top 1000 (if I'm generous) players since it includes part of the top 250. 

We shall wait and see since I'm sure they will buff or change Untamed. The stability thing is not a problem since you have a utility for Soulbeast and Untamed that can dump a few stacks on yourself.

The problem with saying that it's good gold 3 and below is that what happens when you get to gold 3? Either people know how to fight it and you get destroyed or you're more skilled and manage to pull further in, somehow.

Nothing should have a stopgap like this for pvp progress- not ranger, not guardian (which as far as I know is pretty good in pvp, at least with the support core or the power DH builds), not engineer, not mesmer.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

The problem with saying that it's good gold 3 and below is that what happens when you get to gold 3? Either people know how to fight it and you get destroyed or you're more skilled and manage to pull further in, somehow.

Nothing should have a stopgap like this for pvp progress- not ranger, not guardian (which as far as I know is pretty good in pvp, at least with the support core or the power DH builds), not engineer, not mesmer.

Well the answer in or above gold 3 is to just change the sic em Soulbeast build. Essentially you have to make you own off-meta build. 

I use a mix of condi + CC and I do amazing since both wolf and lighting wyvern can chain stun. Some classes get absolutely destroyed with this combo especially Necro or Guardian (not willbender) who are more stationary.

I can reach as high as plat 1 with it but I'm getting into the top 150 by then so I don't stay long. 

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Confused 3