Ranked PvP Character swap

Tralse.1982

15 hours ago, Kuya.6495 said:

Has anet said anywhere that swapping characters before a spvp match begins is a bug/exploit? Anyone have links?

Well, it's not really either. But it's worth remembering that SSDs weren't readily available for the majority of players when GW2 launched. Relogging to a new character could easily take 1-2+ minutes per loading screen on old HDs back in the day.

There was a brief "SSD meta" when they did become popular though. If anyone remembers it. People relogged when they got downed because it was faster than getting stomped and waiting for the respawn timer until they changed how that stuff worked because of this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is a good example I had today, and why I made this post in the first place. I don't think the majority of you understand, that from a new player perspective, this looks like cheating. Newer or inexperienced players don't know all classes, or have other characters built and ready to be logged into at a moments notice to "counter" an enemy comp, or even be able to properly identify said counters. So this system is literally just going to discourage new players, which in turn-> will lead to more griping about ArenaNet never putting new content on PvP. Why would they? All my friends who did PvP have all stopped PvPing because its extremely unfriendly to new players, so theres no money in it for Arenanet.

The match I saw today was just silly. Both teams seemed relatively balanced (we both had 1 support guardian, 1 necro, and a few scattering of classes, thief, ranger etc). 3 players on the other team saw we didn't have all new elite specs, and all logged. So, we played against support guardian, WB, Harb, Reaper, and minion necro. Does that seem fair?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

For ranked, I agree. In unranked it makes sense to be able to swap, to get practice with different counters and experiment. I still don't like it, but I would be more inclined to let it slide, I think. Also one my guildmates gave a suggestion while we were discussing how awful PvP is right now, which I thought was decent. Since so many people are unhappy with how unbalanced new elite specs are, namely Harb and WB, would it be possible to have a unranked PvP made that you can queue and lock out current expansion Elite specs? 

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2022 at 5:46 AM, Tralse.1982 said:

This is a good example I had today, and why I made this post in the first place. I don't think the majority of you understand, that from a new player perspective, this looks like cheating. Newer or inexperienced players don't know all classes, or have other characters built and ready to be logged into at a moments notice to "counter" an enemy comp, or even be able to properly identify said counters. So this system is literally just going to discourage new players, which in turn-> will lead to more griping about ArenaNet never putting new content on PvP. Why would they? All my friends who did PvP have all stopped PvPing because its extremely unfriendly to new players, so theres no money in it for Arenanet.

The match I saw today was just silly. Both teams seemed relatively balanced (we both had 1 support guardian, 1 necro, and a few scattering of classes, thief, ranger etc). 3 players on the other team saw we didn't have all new elite specs, and all logged. So, we played against support guardian, WB, Harb, Reaper, and minion necro. Does that seem fair?

New players don't know a lot of skills, should anet remove every skill in the game and let everyone fight with autos?
New players can't dodge properly, should anet remove dodge?
New players can't kite, should anet remake pvp maps into flat circle arena without single obstacle?

Do you see where this type of logic leads?

Instead of asking for removing legit and fair instruments you should learn how to use them.

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 4

17 hours ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

New players don't know a lot of skills, should anet remove every skill in the game and let everyone fight with autos?
New players can't kite, should anet remake pvp maps into flat circle arena without single obstacle?

Instead of asking for removing legit and fair instruments you should learn how to use them.

Your logic is flawed. As many previous people have mentioned, those mechanics are built into the game and are explicitly said YES you can do this. YES here is dodge, you can dodge. Failing to dodge then becomes on you. Swapping characters isn't explained anywhere, and based off the consensus I've gotten from players- most people think its an exploit. If this is an intended thing, it should be explained somewhere, but its not. Instead its just an advantage for the "elite" to pound on the new, which is what it seems like.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

That sounds like a completely different type of logic, not to mention, completely wrong. There is a dedicated dodge tutorial in every stating zone in the game for new players. There is also a big yellow bar above their health that explains what dodging is everytime it is hovered over.

Kiting is something that everyone can do at any moment completely equally.

Class-swapping is not only never explained anywhere, but it can be abused with DuoQ to game the matchmaker because the matchmaker uses what profession you queue as in matchmaking.

Its effectively match manipulation and its 100% spineless. Class swap OUT! 😡👉🚪

Edited by Multicolorhipster.9751
I didn't edit anything I just wanted to spite the wintrader cartel
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Tralse.1982 said:

based off the consensus I've gotten from players- most people think its an exploit.

Most people are gold rated.

1 hour ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

Kiting is something that everyone can do at any moment completely equally.

Yep, just like character swapping.

Personally, I'd like to brought back midmatch swapping. So my teammates can swap instead of afking after dying as spellbreaker at far 5 times in a row.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

Yep, just like character swapping.

That's right. Completely ignore the bit about people using DuoQ  to abuse class-swapping. 

Class-swapping and kiting aren't related in the slightest and the mere mention of such is just ????

You can't distract me. I'm going to take the wintrader cartel down, mark my words.

1 hour ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

Personally, I'd like to brought back midmatch swapping. So my teammates can swap instead of afking after dying as spellbreaker at far 5 times in a row.

I bet you and anyone else that abuses class-swapping would indeed like that very much. On this we are in agreement.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm going to take the wintrader cartel down, mark my words.

There are possibilities to do it ingame, but forum warriors aren't good at it.

I bet you and anyone else that abuses class-swapping would indeed like that very much. On this we are in agreement.

I swear, this forum is pinnacle of people talking about things they know nothing about.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

There are possibilities to do it ingame, but forum warriors aren't good at it.

Any true forum warrior detective would use both the forums and the game itself.

We have to come here when the cartel collectively whines to have 'features' added in or back in that exclusively benefit them at the expense of everyone else.

26 minutes ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

I swear, this forum is pinnacle of people talking about things they know nothing about.

What does it take to be considered knowledgeable in this area?

Many times i've come into games where wintrader #1 and wintrader #2 are duo'd, looking like total clowns as they battle to land their counterpick usually against 1 person on the other team, whoever they consider the best person among whatever the matchmaker could come up with.

Once you pass gold 3, this is like an hourly occurrence. 

This isn't Overwatch. ⏱️

• Like 1

There's this situation you scout the other team and swap to a build there'll do better against that comp

Ppl also q up as the worst class in the meta just to try mirroring that class in the other team and swap to their main. This one is hard to tell because once you find a match you can swap after picking the map you want and ppl will never know you swapd

This has been discussed manh many times, i rather deal with the swapping than prolly lose some games before it start cuz my team has 3 side noders and 2 roamers and the other team is perfectly balanced rolewise

38 minutes ago, Highlie.7641 said:

At one point they where holding a vote to change it...

But the bottom feeders otherwise known as top 250 whined on twitch / you tube and we got stuck with an obviously broken system.

(This is pretty frequent with these bottom feeders, which is why you should never take the matchmaker seriously) Seriously the dev's listening to this type of trash is the reason gw2 pvp scene died. there are so many examples at this point it's just pathetic. 

It is so telling and explains a lot about this sub forum that its denizens think the top rated players in the game mode, the ones who make the content and produce the build and gameplay guides, are the "bottom feeders". Truly this forum should be renamed from PvP Forum to Crab Forum. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kuya.6495 said:

It is so telling and explains a lot about this sub forum that its denizens think the top rated players in the game mode, the ones who make the content and produce the build and gameplay guides, are the "bottom feeders". Truly this forum should be renamed from PvP Forum to Crab Forum. 

They're counterfeit role modelz that don't give two kittens about people like you, me, or anyone else for that matter.

They do everything in their power to rig the outcomes of matches and they don't care who's day they ruin in doing so.

Imagine making content for a game to bring in more people, only to exploit those same people. I got no respect for the top clowns, and I can't imagine why anyone would.

2 hours ago, Highlie.7641 said:

At one point they where holding a vote to change it...

But the bottom feeders otherwise known as top 250 whined on twitch / you tube and we got stuck with an obviously broken system.

I don't think this applies to the top 250 ever. Mind, there's only like 10-20 people doing this(on NA) and they're the very top%. More like top 25 on a 'good' season. Top 5 when the wintraders could care less, which is usually.

You can tell because every season there's a sizable and obvious rating gap between who is cheating and who is not. Its made even more evident when mediocre or totally unknown players start to mysteriously make their way to the top spots with 80, 90, or even 100% of games won.

It also seems to be a much bigger problem on NA than EU, but that's just an observation.

Here is a screenshot of the current NA leaderboard and you can see it. https://prnt.sc/GKBmzvb4D2d0

Notice how between spots 3 & 4 there's already a sudden 100+ rating difference and this is only about half way through the season.

Also, for rank 1. No clue who that is. Never; after 9 years playing, have I ever seen this person who suddenly is set to be God of PvP with 88% of their games won, but in PvP seeing a boosted alt-account take rank 1 is a bimonthly experience.

In my experience the rest of the top 250 is usually way more skilled mechanically. Probably because they don't need to cheat and game the matchmaker to win.

• Like 2