Best Elite spec for Classic longbow type Ranger

loxleymoon.9167

Basically what it says, never played Ranger before, mained a necro and thief on and off for years (I'm pretty casual despite hours in the game), enjoying the famous pokemon aspect, have a nice buff nord lass who's easy on the eye but my ultimate goal is a classic ranged longbow type as all my other toons tend to be in your face brawlers. I can't get my head round the elite specs though, they all seem to lend back into the brawler archetype unless you want to go Druid, which I'll definetly spec into eventually but not sure I want to unlock it first. So for for first elite spec to unlock which would you say synergises best with a classic ranged longbow type build? Soulbeast, untamed or Druid? Any help appreciated. 

• Like 1

Both Untamed and Soulbeast would work, but Soulbeast is currently better than Untamed. Overall you should read a few ranger builds to understand how and when to use ranger skills. For now I'll make a simple build to understand the mechanics.

Something like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POhAMFlZwAZdsNGKO0XqP9S8eaA-zRIYRUxXGRUBVkC2OA-e
should work as a simple LB focused Soulbeast. It's mostly made for learning ranger and should work in solo and easy group content.

If merged all pet effects go to you so beastmastery stats and Sic'em buff add up to huge DPS (there is a lot more effects, but those 2 are the most important).

2 hours ago, Beddo.1907 said:

Both Untamed and Soulbeast would work, but Soulbeast is currently better than Untamed. Overall you should read a few ranger builds to understand how and when to use ranger skills. For now I'll make a simple build to understand the mechanics.

Something like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POhAMFlZwAZdsNGKO0XqP9S8eaA-zRIYRUxXGRUBVkC2OA-e
should work as a simple LB focused Soulbeast. It's mostly made for learning ranger and should work in solo and easy group content.

If merged all pet effects go to you so beastmastery stats and Sic'em buff add up to huge DPS (there is a lot more effects, but those 2 are the most important).

Thanks man! Actually at L41 it's not far off what I'm pretty much already running. I might be wrong but it doesnt seem that the Ranger Elite specs add that much except some DPS unless you want to be really in your face melee. I might end up just rolling a Gaurdian toon so I can spec into Dragon hunter as with longbows and traps it seems to way more suit the whole vibe I was going for. Still love having the pet though but I do find the Elite specs kinda weird directions. But anyway, early days so we'll see. 

On 6/12/2022 at 11:14 PM, loxleymoon.9167 said:

Basically what it says, never played Ranger before, mained a necro and thief on and off for years (I'm pretty casual despite hours in the game), enjoying the famous pokemon aspect, have a nice buff nord lass who's easy on the eye but my ultimate goal is a classic ranged longbow type as all my other toons tend to be in your face brawlers. I can't get my head round the elite specs though, they all seem to lend back into the brawler archetype unless you want to go Druid, which I'll definetly spec into eventually but not sure I want to unlock it first. So for for first elite spec to unlock which would you say synergises best with a classic ranged longbow type build? Soulbeast, untamed or Druid? Any help appreciated. 

If you're looking to play longbow there is no spec better than soulbeast at the moment. I know some people suggested untamed or other answers that may keep you on the fence - but soulbeast is simply unmatched if you're looking for a longbow style of play.

It excels in damage by a very large margin, has higher mobility depending on pet choice, better group buffs when needed, and you can build around longbow in several different ways/builds. Trust me on this as someone who has mained and played Ranger since the day this game launched, you won't go wrong with choosing this as your spec first for longbow play.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Soulbeast is the best damage spec for ranger, and it has high burst in PvP due to longbow 2, while also having good traits and utilities. Merging with smokescale or birds gives you amazing mobility too, with either a shadowstep or multiple good movement skills.

It also uses longbow in PvE, but with how boons are generated the range typically isn't useful 90% of the time. Still an amazing burst power DPS.

• Like 3

In gw2 you play melee even if your weapon is ranged because boons and healing will be at melee range. It's also easier to rezz and get rezzed.

Soulbeast axe 5 with sick'em is the hardest hitting skill in the game, and that's a melee skill.

Since you mentioned a lot of roleplay elements in your OP, I kinda want to say Untamed is for you, as it interacts most with the pet.  You won't get the damage out of it like Soulbeast, but at least in PvE can get close to utility of Druid but with more 'pokemon' for you due to the pet control.  I also don't really like Druid for power (everything it has works with condi/bleed), and LB is strictly a power weapon.

Untamed also addresses your concern of the elites not adding much in the way of 'new' mechanics, as Untamed has the most of those (unleashed state / new pet skills, ambush skills, full pet control, etc.).  Soulbeast has the least, as its whole purpose is merging with the pet to get rid of it at opportune times (so you gain and lose equal amount of skills) and to increase damage--all of which sounds like it may not fit for you by your OP.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Well looks like this Tuesday the best will probably end up being dragonhunter.

Yeeeeeeaaaa, I 'm kinda begining to think for what I was wanting to go for, DH actually might be the better option, which is insane, I mean its a RANGER for Gods sake, they should be God tier with a longbow! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, loxleymoon.9167 said:

Yeeeeeeaaaa, I 'm kinda begining to think for what I was wanting to go for, DH actually might be the better option, which is insane, I mean its a RANGER for Gods sake, they should be God tier with a longbow! 

Ranger has quite a good longbow kit I feel, but guardian always gets the most OP stuff. With One Wolf Pack changes coming in ranger has lost the effectiveness of not only its best strike damage elite skill, but an amazing burst damage skill that synergied with longbow quite well.

You could definetly still succeed, but man is this a bad change.

Have you considered playing Condi Shortbow Soulbeast? Sure, you lose a bit of range, but if you're going to camp a bow, Shortbow will probably give you the best bang for your buck (even if you compare it to Dragonhunter, who practically never use bows).

It looks a little like this.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Soulbeast_-_Condi_Shortbow_DPS

Edited by Westenev.5289