Please release the numbers that show that Gandara is the most populated server on EU right now

Karagee.6830

1 hour ago, Karagee.6830 said:

Oh boy. At the times I don't play our score is in the gutter. You really want to check the scores and participation for Gandara, in T5, in the morning and early afternoon? Be my guest. I occasionally have played at those times: we have very few people, so it's not like we have a surge which is dwarfed by an even bigger surge by every other server.

My questions are how do YOU know, not how do I know.  I certainly can go look into it myself if I cared enough about it, yet then that's my own conclusions, not you making your conclusions.  I end up reading something totally different from the available data than how you read it and that tells me nothing about how you are reading it.

38 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Depends on whether those two linked servers have a similar population or not. But why does it even matter?

I already said multiple times that some servers very likely have higher population than gandara at times. Emphasis on "at times". At other times those servers might have much lower population, while gandara appears to be more stable. Take SFR for example - they are likely one of the highest, if not THE highest populated/active server right now. Yet whenever SFR has been unlinked, they have consistently been weaker than gandara without link.

I don't know why BB is treated specially, but it might be because a) there is no alternative for players who want to play on a spanish server and b) maybe also because the server doesn't seem to be very attractive for bandwagoners, so the likelyhood of BB getting mega stacked is lower than for some others. Tho it would be an interesting experiment if all the bandwagoners decide to join BB to see what happens and if that server could be pushed to full status.

Is special treatment for one world fair? No, i don't think so, but still - the correct move would be to lock BB, not to unlock other servers above the "full" threshold. But since BB being open doesn't really cause any balance issues right now (except of the perceived unfairness), is it really neccessary to screw over another server?

Being outnumbered at certain times - especially outside of primetime - is not uncommon and completely different from being "outnumbered always and everywhere". And right now Gandara is winning their skirmishes, so i guess players are back from vacation and you aren't actually always outnumbered anymore?

Generally population disparities are lower than what they used to be pre world linking. You know, back when gandara was a healthy "gold" server while some bronze tier servers had the "pleasure" to experience population differences that gandarans wouldn't even dream of in their worst nightmares. We are talking about the winning side having up to 10x the total score of the losing server - several weeks in a row. Go figure. Nowadays we rarely see double the warscore for one side over another and even that usually only happens after relinking when matchups are messed up.

Edit: I found even more extreme cases - like a server not even getting above 20k score total - within an entire week (with the winning server having 500k+). That's less than 1/10 of gandaras score right now, and the current matchup isn't even over (I know i know, the score isn't compareable1:1, but still)

Servers that accidentally, emphasis on accidentally, get no link, don't play for 2 months because they can't take it. And yet one server (well 2 with BB) is forced to do this almost all the time. Does that seem fair to you?

BB is treated differently because it's the only Spanish server, that is correct. That means they can and will make exceptions. Now, why can BB have players coming in but not Gandara, despite being a third larger? It makes no sense. At least open us until we get the same numbers as BB, with those numbers we are going to be without link every time, guaranteed, but at least we wont be half the opponents.

Yes people got fed up with having to stay away and still be locked. I'm not going back just yet. So what you see now is what happens usually on Friday and Saturday. Before we get outnumbered every other day of the week as I repeatedly said, despite people continuing to ignore it. As you can see it was short lived as in the next skirmish we're already last (and we were last in ppt when you posted btw). Come back in a week and if everything is back to normal, we'll see how your take aged.

The bottom line is there are many ways to fix this, but there is no logical reason to keep the server close and without a link for 10-12 months straight every time. If you don't want to eliminate a tier, then open Gandara and cap us at the same level BB is right now. Mentioning that in the previous system things were as bad or worse for more people (and I disagree but this is beyond what we're discussing here) is asinine. They created this system to balance things out and avoid screwing the same people over and over and yet that's exactly what is happening. 

Now I'm curious to hear what you think should be done in this situation. Nothing and leave Gandara permanently outnumbered without a link and locked? Is that it?

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

The matchups are never competitive. After relinks mass Transfers to the next bandwagon only to rofl stomp and outnumbering the enemy 3 to 1. Anet should simply listen and block the transfer  for several weeks after the relink.

I proposed that. Lots of people proposed that. Again and again.

Also that isn't going to help the situation Gandara is in, I'm sure you understand that.

Transfers are a problem for T1 balance, with overstacked servers. We have other issues and since we have a community where people don't just bugger off, we have no transfers in and we can't get stacked through a link, because we have none of those options, your observation about transfers is valid, but will have to go in a different thread as it has nothing to do with Gandara allegedly being the second most populated server on EU after BB.

Edited by Karagee.6830
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

My questions are how do YOU know, not how do I know.  I certainly can go look into it myself if I cared enough about it, yet then that's my own conclusions, not you making your conclusions.  I end up reading something totally different from the available data than how you read it and that tells me nothing about how you are reading it.

I guess I will have to explain through drawings. Just wait, I'm gonna grab my computer and show you in pictures so you can understand just how far from the truth you are.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Karagee.6830 said:

I proposed that. Lots of people proposed that. Again and again.

Also that isn't going to help the situation Gandara is in, I'm sure you understand that.

Transfers are a problem for T1 balance, with overstacked servers. We have other issues and since we have a community where people don't just bugger off and we have no transfers in, your observation about transfers is valid, but will have to go in a different thread as it has nothing to do with Gandara allegedly being the second most populated server on EU after BB.

Im playing on a national server since rls so it is nothing new for me beeing heavy outnumbered. Even in 2012 my server got rofl stomped during nighttime because no international player would go on a German or French server. So that kitten gandara faces faced every german/french server years ago and back then no int.Sever cared about it because the national servers where "farming" spots. I'm now online and im the only player on EBG against 20 GH & FSP. Nice ehh`? I can feel you. Our Links Server Arbor is a pretty ghosttown. Only a few players on it. No Commanders, no public nothing. Alot of them transferred shortly after the relink away. Because they can get better baggies with FoW, RoS, RoF or GH. So DL stands in fact pretty alone like Elona or your Server.

Edited by Grebcol.5984
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Karagee.6830 said:

I guess I will have to explain through drawings. Just wait, I'm gonna grab my computer and show you in pictures so you can understand just how far from the truth you are.

So with your lack of answers I'm to take it that you haven't really thought about how you're using the data that is externally available and mitigating any drawbacks to it, which is to be expected when someone accuses Anet of lying/has to resort to conspiracy to explain something.  There's no reason for anyone to take what you claim at face value.  Data gets misused all the time.

Edited by Chaba.5410

2 minutes ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

Im playing on a national server since rls so it is nothing new for me beeing heavy outnumbered. Even in 2012 my server got rofl stomped during nighttime because no international player would go on a German or French server. So that kitten gandara faces faced every german/french server years ago and back then no int.Sever cared about it because the national servers where "farming" spots. I'm now online and im the only player on EBG against 20 GH & FSP. Nice ehh`? I can feel you.

Yes imagine that happening to you for a year. Then imagine that you can't recruit people (whether or not they would come is another story, but you do have that option, w don't). Congratulations, you are now Gandara.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Karagee.6830 said:

Yes imagine that happening to you for a year. Then imagine that you can't recruit people (whether or not they would come is another story, but you do have that option, w don't). Congratulations, you are now Gandara.

yeah we had that situation for more than 1 year. Getting roflstomped during night & morning . I can remember how we defended our maps with 10 peoples against full zone blobs. But no one cared about it. Many rather still made fun of it.

The only solution would be when Anet would delete the last bracket and merge some servers. So that every Server have a Link. There are to many German & French Servers.  Or the rls of the Alliance system.

(And pls get the rid with that transfer after relink)

Edited by Grebcol.5984

2 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

So with your lack of answers I'm to take it that you haven't really thought about how you're using the data that is externally available, which is to be expected when someone accuses Anet of lying/has to resort to conspiracy to explain something.  There's no reason for anyone to take what you claim at face value.  Data gets misused all the time.

Not another cop out and more moaning , please. It seems to be the only thing you do.

I was going to look for scores for morning and day during the weekends and throughout the day on weekdays were you see lopsided scores over and over (overall score so ppt from objectives + kills + other things like donkeys, everything). Because I can't use the current match as it would be even more lopsided, I'm struggling to locate data for past matches that is not aggregate.

Also a little comprehension of the English language: I never said that Anet lied. I said that they don't interact with their customers, as I would like them to, so they don't have to brazenly lie through their teeth. And yes, them saying Gandara has the highest participation among 27 (26 excluding BB) servers on EU, which is the topic of this thread, would be an outright lie, as others have explained to you here and elsewhere.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

yeah we had that situation for more than 1 year. Getting roflstomped during night & morning . I can remember how we defended our maps with 10 peoples against full zone blobs. But no one cared about it. Many rather still made fun of it.

The only solution would be when Anet would delete the last bracket and merge some servers. So that every Server have a Link. There are to many German & French Servers.  Or the rls of the Alliance system.

(And pls get the rid with that transfer after relink)

Both Elona and DL were on T3 last relink (Elona yo-yoing from T2 and DL more T3/T4) and you both had K+D similar or higher than your opponents. Looking at your numbers to turn into Gandara you'd have needed to get rid of over a third of your team's players (you were comfortably at 65k-70k when Gandara was cruising on 40k-45k K+D).

And unfortunately no amount of tinkering with the system is going to make time slots imbalances disappear. If they can make more obvious and gigantic imbalances disappear it would already be a success. 

I'm honestly curious: do you think like someone from WSR in this thread that you'd be better off without a link (assuming you are on DL and not Elona)? I have to understand this mentality because it's truly, incredibly foreign to me.

Edited by Karagee.6830
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Karagee.6830 said:

Also a little comprehension of the English language: I never said that Anet lied. I said that they don't interact with their customers, as I would like them to, so they don't have to brazenly lie through their teeth. And yes, them saying Gandara has the highest participation among 27 (26 excluding BB) servers on EU, which is the topic of this thread, would be an outright lie, as others have explained to you here and elsewhere.

This isn't you? When I wrote that "Well that's what Anet told us is how population is counted for years now." you responded that it's an impossibility to be true.  Sure looks like you're accusing them of lying to me.

My only point ever has been that you should double-check your usage of what external-facing data is available to us and realize that the Full status is based on internal metrics we have no access to.  Not use anecdotes.  Not make a direct link between total PvP activity and a rolling average of playhours smoothed out over some unknown number of weeks.  Now I could tell you why the in-game K+D and the number from the API is different, but it's probably better if you figure that one out and think about it yourself.

Edited by Chaba.5410

7 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

This isn't you? When I wrote that "Well that's what Anet told us is how population is counted for years now." you responded that it's an impossibility to be true.  Sure looks like you're accusing them of lying to me.

My only point ever has been that you should double-check your usage of what external-facing data is available to us and realize that the Full status is based on internal metrics we have no access to.  Not use anecdotes.  Not make a direct link between total PvP activity and a rolling average of playhours smoothed out over some unknown number of weeks.  Now I could tell you why the in-game K+D and the number from the API is different, but it's probably better if you figure that one out and think about it yourself.

Once again comprehension. I said neither you nor them proved in any way that what they said is what they currently do. Stop moving the goalposts and making strawmen.

The quote is fine. I believe it should be impossible with the way they claim they select links for Gandara to be full and without link for stints of 10 months. I think this is not even debatable. I went further and explained how we are outnumbered all the time except 2 nights a week and I have explained how there are links with more than double our 'flow' for 2 months (which is pretty accurate since nobody keeps parricipation by repairing walls ever few minutes anymore). This andcdotal evidence is the exact opposite of what you would expect if things were working as Anet said they should

Even without checking I assume the discrepancies in the deaths are due to the omnipresent outnumbered buff for some servers. This is irrelevant for the problem at hand anyway, as both thr Api numbers and in-game numbers paint exactly the same picture, no more and no less. Stop looking at miniscule details and start looking at the bigger picture.

Edited by Karagee.6830
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Karagee.6830 said:

Oh just imagine... as if most worlds havent been there at one time or another. But no, its special when it comes to Gandara. 

If Gandara gets adjusted to medium and becomes a link to the top T1 world I'm pretty sure you wouldnt shed a single tear for the next bottom tier punching bag.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Oh just imagine... as if most worlds havent been there at one time or another. But no, its special when it comes to Gandara. 

I don't think that's the point here.
Personally I haven't been around for long enough (only 4 years now) to really tell what it's like for other servers. But I have noticed  groups perma-stuck in T1, made some friends there and it isn't that fun for them either. But at least they are rarely in the situation of being FULL and having no link, or a FULL link. So at least they can invite their friends from elsewhere to join them. So they are stuck in a kitten situation, but at least communities there can grow and change. And if they don't it's not because they can't. AND EVEN if it's FULL+FULL, that won't last for the better part of a year! It likely won't last longer than part of a linkup period, so less than 8 weeks.

There is something that's special when it comes to Gandara, but probably not in the way you meant it. Not that we're stuck in T5. It's that we're stuck without a link instead. And we're full. So the only thing we can do to our community is shrink it down. And as the last few weeks have shown, even that might not lead to anything.
And this situation has been a constant for almost a year now.
It might not be so bad, if we would get a link at least every second linkup period, but not even that has happened. And each time without is ~8 weeks. That's a long time.
That's what actualy is special. That's what's annoying to us. And yet we keep playing. And it feels like we're being punished for it (even if it isn't meant that way).

A game should never do that.

Edited by nthmetal.9652
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

If Gandara gets adjusted to medium and becomes a link to the top T1 world I'm pretty sure you wouldnt shed a single tear for the next bottom tier punching bag.

Wow here we go with another that fails to see the whole picture and decided to focus only on one aspect (no link) or another (Full) or another (time scale of the previous 2 issues) when it's the combination of all 3 that makes the situation unbearable and unfair.  Can you please give us an example of a server Full and unlinked for 10-12 months? You see, we'd have no problem being on our own, the punching bag as you call it, and locked every other relink, but here we are in this situation every relink, one after another after another, endlessly.

You should really talk to people from Gandara. As a matter of fact you will find that we have overwhelming sympathy for any server that has to go through this even for 2 months every year rather than 10-12, because we are always in their situation. Personally, I usually roam in a small party on enemy borderlands and I always try to help the unlinked server in my match, even Desolation and SFR, for this very reason, unless we are fighting for 1st place, in which case we'll do what it's more likely to win us the week. And by that I don't mean just trying to double team the third server with my small group, I mean even contesting their garrison when the other unlinked server is attacking them, to make it harder for defenders. That actually damages my wxp and participation, because I could be flipping camps, towers or keeps in the time I spend to keep the garrison contested. It only gives me personal satisfaction. Sometimes I even build guild siege by myself, so the garrison keeps getting contested when the guards respawn for the benefit of the other unlinked server. That of course means that I have to actually make a run for supplies, for no benefit whatsoever other than sticking two fingers to Anet and their linking lunacy, imagine that, it's how far that goes. So I suggest you check yourself and your assumptions.

Edited by Karagee.6830
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

The matchups are never competitive. After relinks mass Transfers to the next bandwagon only to rofl stomp and outnumbering the enemy 3 to 1. Anet should simply listen and block the transfer  for several weeks after the relink.

I agree with your statement and will just add:

Matchups can never really be competitive. Because it's not world-versus-world but world-versus-world-versus-world and two servers/worlds teaming up and focus (more or less) the third server is a core mechanic (including the drama) of this game mode.

4 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

with this I am sure that you are very far from reality. let's take stock here. if you are a close-knit team with a healthy team spirit always and in any case even when you can only lose, you are punished (first big mistake) if you see your team in difficulty and try to do something more as far as possible, you are punished (second big mistake) if you do not get a link, you are punished for 60 days (third big mistake)

when you are lucky enough to suffer these '' mistakes '' for free , gandara for 1 year us for 6 months others for a little less, I can assure you that you can only wish that no one, of any other team suffer the same music.

my wish is that all 27 teams can have fun, to do this you would have to have games with 3 similar teams (with a similar k + d) and I'm sure many players want this.

with this awareness, what can we gather from this post, what is the point that can unite us?

in the short term : we can chedere all together that any server does not remain without a link for more than 60 days ( bb included, we also put to them a limit of players and treat them like everyone else, this is my thought )

in the long term: I imagine that now we are almost there, you will have alliances, you have asked for it, you have voted for it and arenanet rightly imagined it and thought about it and with effort and passion has almost realized it. I don't, i don't wax, I have no responsibility my conscience is as light as air. Ironically, for you gandara guys it will just be that at that point you will no longer have a gandara to get busy.

Edited by Mabi black.1824
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

I agree with your statement and will just add:

Matchups can never really be competitive. Because it's not world-versus-world but world-versus-world-versus-world and two servers/worlds teaming up and focus (more or less) the third server is a core mechanic (including the drama) of this game mode.

I believe that this is not a problem, indeed it is one of those mechanics that arenanet has thought and is really effective, fun, the 3-way clash. it is up to the players to build an effective and fun strategy , each time different according to the teams you face. the important thing is to have 3 similar teams.

15 hours ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

Im playing on a national server since rls so it is nothing new for me beeing heavy outnumbered. Even in 2012 my server got rofl stomped during nighttime because no international player would go on a German or French server. So that kitten gandara faces faced every german/french server years ago and back then no int.Sever cared about it because the national servers where "farming" spots. I'm now online and im the only player on EBG against 20 GH & FSP. Nice ehh`? I can feel you. Our Links Server Arbor is a pretty ghosttown. Only a few players on it. No Commanders, no public nothing. Alot of them transferred shortly after the relink away. Because they can get better baggies with FoW, RoS, RoF or GH. So DL stands in fact pretty alone like Elona or your Server.

I think you're misunderstanding the situation. The problem is that the server has been full for more than a year (one week open in 2 years).

People quit the game, etc. so we slowly lose people over time, but with the server constantly full, there is no way to recruit people to replace them. The fact that we're underpopulated a majority of the time shows that the full status is undeserved.

5 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

with this I am sure that you are very far from reality. let's take stock here. if you are a close-knit team with a healthy team spirit always and in any case even when you can only lose, you are punished (first big mistake) if you see your team in difficulty and try to do something more as far as possible, you are punished (second big mistake) if you do not get a link, you are punished for 60 days (third big mistake)

when you are lucky enough to suffer these '' mistakes '' for free , gandara for 1 year us for 6 months others for a little less, I can assure you that you can only wish that no one, of any other team suffer the same music.

my wish is that all 27 teams can have fun, to do this you would have to have games with 3 similar teams (with a similar k + d) and I'm sure many players want this.

with this awareness, what can we gather from this post, what is the point that can unite us?

in the short term : we can chedere all together that any server does not remain without a link for more than 60 days ( bb included, we also put to them a limit of players and treat them like everyone else, this is my thought )

in the long term: I imagine that now we are almost there, you will have alliances, you have asked for it, you have voted for it and arenanet rightly imagined it and thought about it and with effort and passion has almost realized it. I don't, i don't wax, I have no responsibility my conscience is as light as air. Ironically, for you gandara guys it will just be that at that point you will no longer have a gandara to get busy.

Well, a lot of people will stick together then. Maybe not me, but a lot of people on Gandara planned exactly that and devised ways to form a community alliance. And I'm sure they will stick together, like large groups from other servers that are planning the same thing, even though Alliances will come with their dose of stacking of a different kind (stacking based on skill/hours played etc): it will be like playing a 3v3 basketball competition and instead of limiting and putting boundaries to how the teams are made up to keep things interesting, you allow an NBA superstar to participate while the rest are good amateurs. It will still be better than a 3v1 competition to be sure. We'll see how this pans out, but today is the day of the summer solstice, spring is officially over and nothing has been said or done about Anet's Alliances spring declarations, so it's a fair to assume they are not coming anytime soon and at the very least they are significantly behind Anet's expected development. But you know what? I'm sure some blind believers, these forums seem so full of, will still expect something to be done or said in spring 2022 come August and September

Edited by Karagee.6830

15 hours ago, Karagee.6830 said:

Once again comprehension. I said neither you nor them proved in any way that what they said is what they currently do. Stop moving the goalposts and making strawmen.

I believe it should be impossible with the way they claim they select links for Gandara to be full and without link for stints of 10 months. I think this is not even debatable. I went further and explained how we are outnumbered all the time except 2 nights a week and I have explained how there are links with more than double our 'flow' for 2 months (which is pretty accurate since nobody keeps parricipation by repairing walls ever few minutes anymore). This andcdotal evidence is the exact opposite of what you would expect if things were working as Anet said they should

Even without checking I assume the discrepancies in the deaths are due to the omnipresent outnumbered buff for some servers. This is irrelevant for the problem at hand anyway, as both thr Api numbers and in-game numbers paint exactly the same picture, no more and no less. Stop looking at miniscule details and start looking at the bigger picture.

Your quote implied that you believe Anet is lying.  No one has any reason to believe they are and the evidence you presented to prove this claim is problematic and not looking at the bigger picture.

How is asking you questions about your evidence that they aren't doing what they said "moving the goal posts"?  You just wrote now that you believe your claim isn't even debatable?  I don't believe that and neither do you.  No one has access to the internal-facing data that determines Full status and population.  That's what you're asking for by starting this thread, isn't it?  If they released the numbers and it showed that Gandara really has the highest number of playhours and they couldn't give you a link because they have 27 servers they need to make 15 teams out of so it's competitive in most of the tiers (they said they can't do all tiers all the time), what would you do?

You're lucky if your in-game data on K+D matches what the API reports.  In my match there's a disparity of about 6k kills for my server so the API reports 20% less total kills, which is rather significant.  It would mean the API shows quite a bit less population for my server than reality when using K+D to assume population.  The EU event logger is keeping up for the current T5 EU match.  Did it keep up for your past matches and how would you know?

Edited by Chaba.5410

5 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

If they released the numbers and it showed that Gandara really has the highest number of playhours and they couldn't give you a link because they have 27 servers they need to make competitive teams out of for the rest of the tiers, what would you do?

Then, unlike what I have done so far, I would actually say they would be either lying about the numbers or lying about having an algorythm to determine automatically which servers are Full and which aren't. Something's gotta give, you can't have your cake and eat it.

Please provide context about your matchup and which site you are using. The K+D numbers often lag behind in the API but are very much in line with the game numbers. Some differences are due to websites lagging behind and smoothing the numbers (because sometimes they do not update for several ticks, strings of the same numbers were reported when the Api was released)

Edited by Karagee.6830

8 hours ago, nthmetal.9652 said:

But I have noticed  groups perma-stuck in T1, made some friends there and it isn't that fun for them either.

A game should never do that.

One of the things Anet told us in the past about server links is that they try not to make teams when relinks happen in such a way that upsets the competitiveness of matches across the tiers too much.  What this means is that when a server is stuck in T1 or T5, they are not going to do a relink with it that causes that team to suddenly be overpowered or underpowered to the point where it quickly moves through the ranks.  They're not willing to trade temporary match volatility for individual servers.  It's kind of a crime, but it is what it is.

12 minutes ago, Karagee.6830 said:

Please provide context about your matchup and which site you are using. The K+D numbers often lag behind in the API but are very much in line with the game numbers. Some differences are due to websites lagging behind and smoothing the numbers (because sometimes they do not update for several ticks, strings of the same numbers were reported when the Api was released)

NA T3.  It's not the API's "tick" lag I'm referring to.  It's messages getting completely lost by the event logger when it comes under heavy load and is a constraint of their internal network architecture, as Anet told us in the past.  I just doublechecked to make sure all the options were turned off on the werdes site and my match is showing about a 3k underreporting of kills.  Wvwintel.com also shows about a 3k difference.  I'm sad that wvwstats.com is down.