Let's talk balance..

The Game Slayer.7632

• 2 weeks later...

For the past 10 years, guardian has been the closest to the GOAT, consistently, across 2/3 game modes, and the 3rd had nothing that really went as obviously favored, so, yes, it is accurate to say "best in all game mode for the longest". 

Thinking otherwise is delusional cope. You are welcome to it, but people will laugh at you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 7/6/2022 at 8:43 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Reality is, people are duckn tired of Firebrand being the "god king" of Gw2.

Which is less about how good Firebrand( and Guard) have it but more about how ridiculously kitten the Balance is for others.

Add the fact that Guard and Necro are the only 2 classes with good Base Fundations to build on top.

Is Guard the best class currently? I would say yes. But thats not hard if everything ( sparing Necro and Engi) is in such a horrific state.

Firebrand has been Meta in 10/5man content for years.

WvW is unplayable without Firebrand.

What class do experienced players tell newcomers to play? Guard or Necro.

Because history shows, these 2 never get bad.

"Reality is, people are duckn tired of Firebrand being the "god king" of Gw2."

Is fb that? best quckness I agree, but ranking 14 in the benchmarks on snowcrows does not sound like the "god king" to me at all.
"Which is less about how good Firebrand( and Guard) have it but more about how ridiculously kitten the Balance is for others."
Whos balance is so bad if I am allowed to ask? Thief with the highest dps bench in the game? Warrior with nr 2? Mesmer with the best utility in the game being poertals and a better bench on an easy to play virtuooso rotation? OR revenant with a better bnech and being the easiest alac exept maybe mech? Considering you have knowledge of Gw2Wingman can you show me the part that shows that guard is proken or is that just about its popularity in fractals since it is very easy to play?
"Is Guard the best class currently? I would say yes."

Is it? How often do you see not support guards in high tier content? And even as support, best quckness yes but conditon alac mech or heal alac mech is easily comparable if not better
"But thats not hard if everything ( sparing Necro and Engi) is in such a horrific state."
I was gona comment on that but this should be enough https://snowcrows.com/benchmarks
"What class do experienced players tell newcomers to play? Guard or Necro."
Yes cause they are easy starting points into gw2, nobody will argue that, but easy does not mean they are the best

To finish this post of I am not the best guardian player to ever exist but if you search for a bit you can find my name on gw2 wingman in multiple places... I am being asked to swap class in my static because guard rn (exept for qfb and hfb) are not comparable to other classes at a high level

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

For the past 10 years, guardian has been the closest to the GOAT, consistently, across 2/3 game modes, and the 3rd had nothing that really went as obviously favored, so, yes, it is accurate to say "best in all game mode for the longest". 

Thinking otherwise is delusional cope. You are welcome to it, but people will laugh at you.

I'd argue it's only been top-tier in WvW the entire time, and that's only because of its almost-exclusive access to aoe stability.

There have been loads of PvP and PvE metas where it was mediocre (and a few times where it was outright garbage) relative to everything else. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, cat.8975 said:

There have been loads of PvP and PvE metas where it was mediocre (and a few times where it was outright garbage) relative to everything else.

In the absolute worse-for-Guardians meta, shortly after HoT, it was #2, because Dragonhunter was kinda meh, and the concept of "key boons" wasn't there yet. It still had unique access to everything you'd need to support the team, and a reliable DPS option. Just because it wasn't The Best Always doesn't mean it isn't consistently, overall, The Best.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

In the absolute worse-for-Guardians meta, shortly after HoT, it was #2, because Dragonhunter was kinda meh, and the concept of "key boons" wasn't there yet. It still had unique access to everything you'd need to support the team, and a reliable DPS option. Just because it wasn't The Best Always doesn't mean it isn't consistently, overall, The Best.

(PvE) Pre-HoT you only brought a guard if you needed aegis or reflects. It was great in Arah and situationally helpful in a few other dungeon paths, but I definitely wouldn't call it The Best in those days. Between the release of specializations (mid-2015) and whenever they finally buffed radiance + greatsword + scepter, it was considered pretty worthless. The best sustained dps build was hammer dh until we got symbols on scepter and sword. The burst dps from traps was solid for dungeons, but dungeons were largely irrelevant at that point. As for Fractals, you weren't allowed to pug above scale 80, as the Boon Thieves instability would passively kill your party due to retal.

(PvP) I've watched variations of support, bruiser, and dps builds come and go over the years. I wouldn't say it's been consistently The Best in PvP either, but instead just generally solid. I wonder if anyone has compiled a list of all of the historically "best" builds for throughout the years. You could probably make some cool graphs out of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cat.8975 said:

I wouldn't say it's been consistently The Best in PvP either, but instead just generally solid

I agree, but that's just it. It's always been at worst just solid, but it has never been bad. Since no class has been better at PvP than "solid", and plenty have reeked over the years, I'd say Guardian is, in that format, clearly above average, overall.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

oh, this. so much this. they really don't know how good they have had it. LOL

• Like 1
  • Confused 3