GW2 should finally add "inspect gear" ability to examine other players' cosmetics

16 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

This thread is from July of last year, hello.

Inspect anxiety wasn't any part of the points I was making in 2022, rather the opposite; that it's simple to ask someone (or the community at large) about fashion or browse the wardrobe/wiki instead of requesting a feature from ArenaNet that might well be poorly implemented. Inherently, a skins-only inspect feature shouldn't hurt anything, but the many existing methods by which to determine what skins are being worn + ArenaNet's track record for monkey-pawing requested features are what lead me to conclude it might not be worth the development time.

Knowing Anet, you're probably right about that...they would most likely mess us something as simple as an Inspect feature lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

I get, having inspect anxiety, but you won't know that someone inspected you. You won't feel a thing, I promise!

I get having anxiety, but human interaction -especially over the internet in the mmorpg- won't hurt you, I promise!

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

9 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

I get having anxiety, but no one is going to steal your personal information by inspecting your character. 

Sure! Exactly the same way I get having anxiety, but no one is going to steal your personal information when you ask them what skins they're using, right? Good, looks like "problem" solved by regular interaction over the internet in an mmorpg.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Sure! Exactly the same way I get having anxiety, but no one is going to steal your personal information when you ask them what skins they're using, right? Good, looks like "problem" solved by regular interaction over the internet in an mmorpg.

Not everyone wants to be harassed by strangers, so no. The problem is not solved. It won't hurt anyone if someone inspects your character, riiiiight?

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Not everyone wants to be harassed by strangers, so no. The problem is not solved. It won't hurt anyone if someone inspects your character, riiiiight?

Asking a question about skins the player is using ingame isn't harassment. If someone won't be willing to share with you that information then they simply won't.
So again: asking a question won't hurt anyone, right? Right.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Smoky.5348 said:

Speak for yourself, I tell you as my heart races from writing this short message for five minutes.

Oops, that wasn't a question...

You seem to be doing perfectly fine to me. Turning the "but my heart races from writing this short message(....)" into even shorter "hi, what skins are you using?" should be even easier to do, so good job.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You seem to be doing perfectly fine to me. Turning the "but my heart races from writing this short message(....)" into even shorter "hi, what skins are you using?" should be even easier to do, so good job.

I just now said to speak for yourself, though. Hm, I see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Smoky.5348 said:

I just now said to speak for yourself, though. Hm, I see.

Sure, but what I'm doing is commenting on what I see and currently I rather clearly see no issues with responding to what someone said or writing whatever you want to write. I think that kind of proves the point? 
Note that the post you responded to with that "speak for yourself" after I said "it won't hurt anyone" was directly repeated after someone else said it. So... If you're directing that to me, it's only fair that you also direct the same response to that person.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Sure, but what I'm doing is commenting on what I see and currently I rather clearly see no issues with responding to what someone said or writing whatever you want to write. I think that kind of proves the point? 
Note that the post you responded to with that "speak for yourself" after I said "it won't hurt anyone" was directly repeated after someone else said it. So... If you're directing that to me, it's only fair that you also direct the same response to that person.

Well, I aimed it at you 'cause it didn't make sense when you said it. I can clearly see that I am metaphorically hurt by having to ask someone on a whim or having to answer someone on a whim. This is a forum; I can take as much time as l want to prep my nerves and decide on what to say, which is not the case in-game. And even then, I still metaphorically hurt. That's what I was initially trying to hint at. And if you still can't see my issues, that's why I tried to tell my joke to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Good thing it exist for those who want it, even better that it's outside of gw2 and optional. My fashion is a child of my own creativity. You want it, you work for it, at least by browsing a wardrobe. Or you can always ask, so I know it's appreciated, you get the look, I get a proud smile on my face. Double win.

Edited by Biziut.3594
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Ah this argument...I LOVE this argument! Many other MMORPG's, such as EQ2, WoW, SWTOR, etc have a gear inspect feature, and they seem to be going perfectly fine to me. GW2 would do perfectly fine to add it as another way for players to obtain information. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Ah this argument...I LOVE this argument!

You're saying you love this argument, but you didn't explain why nor, really, addressed it in any way at all. Instead you pivoted into "but some of the other games have it!". What is this supposed to be addressing here? (and tbh I think you simply misread what you've quoted there in the first place)

19 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Many other MMORPG's, such as EQ2, WoW, SWTOR, etc have a gear inspect feature, and they seem to be going perfectly fine to me. GW2 would do perfectly fine to add it as another way for players to obtain information. 

Many other mmorpgs don't have it and seem to be going perfectly fine too, soo...

Feel free to sign into this site though to share your characters with the community:

On 7/24/2023 at 1:36 PM, Terter.4125 said:
Hey, just letting you know that now there is a website for inspecting character's equipment and build. Kinda like WoW Armory. It's called gw2geary.com

That should fit what you want.

Actually maybe you're already signed in, let me check.
...nope, you're not. So you're not overly fond with sharing the same information you want to see from the others, eh?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You're saying you love this argument, but you didn't explain why nor, really, addressed it in any way at all. Instead you pivoted into "but some of the other games have it!". What is this supposed to be addressing here? (and tbh I think you simply misread what you've quoted there in the first place)

Many other mmorpgs don't have it and seem to be going perfectly fine too, soo...

Feel free to sign into this site though to share your characters with the community:

That should fit what you want.

Actually maybe you're already signed in, let me check.
...nope, you're not. So you're not overly fond with sharing the same information you want to see from the others, eh?

I don't really need to explain why I love things. You're afraid that other people are going to know you are logged into a game? What does that have to do with someone able to see what gear you wear when they inspect your character? Those are two completely different things.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I don't really need to explain why I love things.

Yeah, you just misread what you've quoted in that post, no problem. 😉

You're afraid that other people are going to know you are logged into a game? What does that have to do with someone able to see what gear you wear when they inspect your character? Those are two completely different things.

I don't really need to explain what I'm afraid* of (apparently this is how you want to "discuss" things here? Personally I think it defeats the point of having a discussion in the first place, but whatever suits you), the point stands that if you want to know what skins someone is using, it's really easy to simply ask a question. Or, as already mentioned, sign into the site linked by the other person on the previous page.

Edited by Sobx.1758
*your choice of word, not mine
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yeah, you just misread what you've quoted in that post, no problem. 😉

I don't really need to explain what I'm afraid* of (apparently this is how you want to "discuss" things here? Personally I think it defeats the point of having a discussion in the first place, but whatever suits you), the point stands that if you want to know what skins someone is using, it's really easy to simply ask a question. Or, as already mentioned, sign into the site linked by the other person on the previous page.

Why not skip third party sites, and just do BOTH in game?  That makes waaaaaaay more sense to me.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Why not skip third party sites, and just do BOTH in game?  That makes waaaaaaay more sense to me.

3rd party sites won't hurt you, they use official API keys with information you're giving them access to. Again, it seems "it won't hurt you"/"it won't steal your personal information" is what you were arguing your stance with, so hopefully it's still equally valid argumentation for you.

You can use that site or, again, simply ask the player ingame. Fast and easy. You either want to share your information with other players no matter who they are or you don't. If you do, use the site. If you don't, the idea you're supporting here goes against that -and in this case you can still ask the players what they're using so they can decide whether or not they want to share it with you. Sounds perfectly fine to me.

And I still wonder why you're not signed in there if you're so eager on pushing the general access to that information.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

58 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

3rd party sites won't hurt you, they use official API keys with information you're giving them access to. Again, it seems "it won't hurt you"/"it won't steal your personal information" is what you were arguing your stance with, so hopefully it's still equally valid argumentation for you.

You can use that site or, again, simply ask the player ingame. Fast and easy. You either want to share your information with other players no matter who they are or you don't. If you do, use the site. If you don't, the idea you're supporting here goes against that -and in this case you can still ask the players what they're using so they can decide whether or not they want to share it with you. Sounds perfectly fine to me.

And I still wonder why you're not signed in there if you're so eager on pushing the general access to that information.

Again, your concern here is that you don't think people should be able to inspect a player in game, and see what gear they are wearing....they either have to provide that information via text, OR opt into a site that provides it....why? What is so caveated about what armor you're wearing?  Do you loose a piece of yourself every time someone inspects your gear to see what you're running? I don't get it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Again, your concern here is that you don't think people should be able to inspect a player in game, and see what gear they are wearing....they either have to provide that information via text, OR opt into a site that provides it....why? What is so caveated about what armor you're wearing?  Do you loose a piece of yourself every time someone inspects your gear to see what you're running? I don't get it.

What is so hard about asking the player what he's using or signing up for the site if you want other people to freely inspect you? And if that's truly what you're up for then why didn't you still do it?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What is so hard about asking the player what he's using or signing up for the site if you want other people to freely inspect you? And if that's truly what you're up for then why didn't you still do it?

The good news is, for those that want to, that option would still be available! There would just now be another option for those that choose not to do that, they would be able to simply inspect a character they see, and view what they are wearing. The player would pick which option works best for them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

The good news is, for those that want to, that option would still be available! There would just now be another option for those that choose not to do that, they would be able to simply inspect a character they see, and view what they are wearing.

Not only "it would be available", but it already is available. So if you want to allow people to look into what you're wearing, once again, I don't understand why you're still not signed up for that?
But since it looks like you'll just keep avoiding everything, I guess this is it. The bottom line is: if you want to know what someone uses, ask them, it takes 5 seconds too. If you want other people to be able to see what you have then put the money where your mouth is and sign up for the site that allows it through the use of official api key.

The player would pick which option works best for them!

The option I want is for you to not have a possibility to freely see what I'm using and it's an option you're actively trying to take away from me.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4