If Anet added in game ads, what would be the least annoying places to put them?

10 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Berate: to scold or condemn vehemently and at length.
I suppose I may have inferred anger or frustration in your words. Outrage? Righteous indignation?
My inner monologue supplied an angry tone as I read your words.
I may have assigned too much emotion to your phrasing. 

Hrm three comments really isn't, "at length either." Poor choice of words on my part.

Yeah, I'm confused about your choice of words as much as apparently you are. 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 8/7/2022 at 1:53 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

I am not asking if you would quit playing.  I am not asking if you want in game ads.  Lets pretend that all mmos will have in game ads in five years.  What is tolerable ad placement?

Example placement: 
small video windows added to menus.

in a corner of the character selection screen.
A small window added to the Trading post, so that a video plays as you browse the listings. (add is muted unless you adjust it's volume)
Ads could play before the gates open in PvP.  It may even encourage people to ready up instead of waiting out the timer.
They could also just add non-animated banners or slogans to menu screens.  "do the dew" and such.

a single wandering npc in each town that pitches advertisement slogans each time they pass a waypoint; they walk at normal speed, their route takes them past each waypoint in the city, and they only use local chat.
festival firework consumables that create a sparkly slogan in the sky when used.

Why would you even ask this? I would literally quit. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2022 at 1:57 PM, Zok.4956 said:

There is none.

Why? I rather would like to pretend that all mmos will be free and without microtransactions in five years

and people like you are *exactly* why games would WANT ads. Paying people to work on things is not free. Nor is the hardware and everything else needed to run them. Thank goodness enough people don't mind paying for things because they understand reality.

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Islyn.8019 said:

and people like you are *exactly* why games would WANT ads. Paying people to work on things is not free. Nor is the hardware and everything else needed to run them. Thank goodness enough people don't mind paying for things because they understand reality.

The US has free libraries (for now anyway, prob for-profit people want to ruin that too). It's true that everything requires labor, but a lot of the money stuff is just a generalized form of compensation and indirection. Birds aren't paying each other to fly in formation. If someone wanted things to be free and also didn't want to contribute any labor of their own, I'd be concerned about their understanding of things, but otherwise, naw.

Games like this are "free" (with a million caveats) because it's a lucrative business model and makes lots of money. Games don't do the model because some people want games for free. And in the same way, if a game like this thought about putting in ads, it wouldn't be because some people want games for free, it'd be because they think it'll make them more money.

Your given reason for their motivations is wrong, basically.

• Like 4

It is as if I had asked, "what would you do if the moon disappeared," and then people suddenly started accusing me, and each other, of hating the moon.  
The moon can't disappear why would you want that?!  Just no."
"Why do you hate the moon?"
"Are you trying to destroy the moon?"
"The moon is necessary for the Earth's tides, why are you trying to ruin the ocean?!"
"The moon isn't going anywhere, this is obviously a troll post."
"Why are you even asking that question? Why would you want to live in a moonless world"
"Don't give the gods any ideas!"
"Op is obviously an alien who wants to steal our moon"

• Haha 1
  • Confused 10

3 hours ago, Islyn.8019 said:

I think you totally missed the point of my answer.

I just compared pretending two unrealistic things ("all games have ads in 5 years" and "all games are free and without microtransactions in 5 years") and which one of the two I would prefer pretending.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

It is as if I had asked, "what would you do if the moon disappeared,"

But you didn't ask "What would you do if GW2 would have ads?".

Instead you asked with "What is tolerable ad placement?" the same question that people trying to add ads in GW2 would ask themselves. That's a big difference.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 7

50 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

It is as if I had asked, "what would you do if the moon disappeared," and then people suddenly started accusing me, and each other, of hating the moon.  
The moon can't disappear why would you want that?!  Just no."
"Why do you hate the moon?"
"Are you trying to destroy the moon?"
"The moon is necessary for the Earth's tides, why are you trying to ruin the ocean?!"
"The moon isn't going anywhere, this is obviously a troll post."
"Why are you even asking that question? Why would you want to live in a moonless world"
"Don't give the gods any ideas!"
"Op is obviously an alien who wants to steal our moon"

If you want to go there, a more accurate comparison would be if you had said, "if a corporation destroyed the moon, what would be the most acceptable climate disaster scenario for you to cope with? I am not asking if you would stop the corporation from doing it or fight back, I just want to know how you'd put up with it."

I think you were intending it as more of a prepper mindset question? ("how would you handle this bad scenario"), but it comes off to me as more of a learned helplessness scenario, where we are doomed and we just have to deal with it, so might as well consider in what way we'd accept our fate without a fight; because you insisted on what is tolerable as the question, rather than the wording you use in your analogy "what would you do" And "what would you do" makes way more sense if your intention is for people to think about a bad scenario and how they'd handle it and "I would quit and would never tolerate it" is a perfectly valid and reasonable answer. Like nobody has to play this game or any video game for that matter. We are not locked into whatever environment these companies try to push. Only psychologically if we are addicted, that's about the extent of it.

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

I think you totally missed the point of my answer.

I just compared pretending two unrealistic things ("all games have ads in 5 years" and "all games are free and without microtransactions in 5 years") and which one of the two I would prefer pretending.

Oh sorry then - this whole thread is absurd anyway and I can't believe I bothered replying  - but I do admit I woke in the middle of the night on painkiller haze and probably just misunderstood - sorry! 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

If you want to go there, a more accurate comparison would be if you had said, "if a corporation destroyed the moon, what would be the most acceptable climate disaster scenario for you to cope with? I am not asking if you would stop the corporation from doing it or fight back, I just want to know how you'd put up with it."

I think you were intending it as more of a prepper mindset question? ("how would you handle this bad scenario"), but it comes off to me as more of a learned helplessness scenario, where we are doomed and we just have to deal with it, so might as well consider in what way we'd accept our fate without a fight; because you insisted on what is tolerable as the question, rather than the wording you use in your analogy "what would you do" And "what would you do" makes way more sense if your intention is for people to think about a bad scenario and how they'd handle it and "I would quit and would never tolerate it" is a perfectly valid and reasonable answer. Like nobody has to play this game or any video game for that matter. We are not locked into whatever environment these companies try to push. Only psychologically if we are addicted, that's about the extent of it.

Valid points.   

I could have used a more mundane disaster for an example, like driving on an icy road.

If you are on an icy road you have various driving options. I wasn't particularly interested in people saying that they would just stay home in icy weather.

Staying home is probably the best course of action, but it isn't an interesting answer.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

On 8/13/2022 at 8:54 AM, Zebulous.2934 said:

Valid points.   

I could have used a more mundane disaster for an example, like driving on an icy road.

If you are on an icy road you have various driving options. I wasn't particularly interested in people saying that they would just stay home in icy weather.

Staying home is probably the best course of action, but it isn't an interesting answer.

I understand what you’re saying, but “what do you think would be the best way to have your right eye punctured” isn’t an interesting question, either.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I understand what you’re saying, but “what do you think would be the best way to have your right eye punctured” isn’t an interesting question, either.

Well, if someone were getting lasik eye surgery I am sure that it would be a very interesting question.  I hear some folks who had the more primitive versions of the procedure had prismatic coronas appear whenever they viewed any light source, while others developed chronic eye irritation. 

I have been quite satisfied with the answers I have received so far, even the quitters, since most of them explained why.
I wasn't too keen about all of the folks who indulged in speculation about my character, but it is the internet what can you do?

"And here we will place a maze in front of the amusement park restrooms."  
I don't think the guests will find that very amusing sir. 
"Well if they want to be amused, they can build their own amusement parks!"
-Dogbert

• Confused 3

4 minutes ago, DaFishBob.6518 said:

Eight hours later

I agree with locking it, so why am I still able to reply?

Well first time for everything maybe the moderatior fell asleep or got told from upstairs that the top dogs are watching this thread for confirmation were to put adds.

We will never know.

• Haha 1