Mounts Required, why.

4 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

OP couldn't be more wrong.  The story is Anet's opportunity to train the player how to use the mounts properly.  The story is the best time to require that player learn how to use the mounts.

It's not about right or wrong. It's about opinion and preference.
You're welcome to yours as I am to mine.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

Your welcome to have your opinion.  But it's uninformed and lacks experience with the subject matter.  Uniformed opinions are wrong.

It's not uninformed? I know how masteries work, know their reasoning for doing the mounts in this fashion. I just disagree with it. You're assuming a bit there.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

17 minutes ago, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

I unfortunately do not have anymore teleport to friend items at the moment because I tried that. We learned that if you get there without raptor mastery 3 you cannot do the heart for the npc to unlock bunny.

I just am used to and prefer Mounts being the harder/last thing to earn (with bosses, dungeons, raids, etc. Not timegates though, Looking at you Skyscale), not up front and required.

Hmm interesting, did not know that.  I recall getting my raptor, going to the next map and discovering I could not cross to continue. Had to spend some time leveling it up, and I can appreciate that it makes you slow down and take more time on a map.   For those out there who enjoy opening up a map first, that can be a little irksome.  

38 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

Look at it this way. Leveling the mounts are part of the story when you play it for the first time. 

This is probably the best way to look at it imo.  It is part of the story, getting to know and befriend your mount, and get some map currency and achievements in the process.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Hmm interesting, did not know that.  I recall getting my raptor, going to the next map and discovering I could not cross to continue. Had to spend some time leveling it up, and I can appreciate that it makes you slow down and take more time on a map.   For those out there who enjoy opening up a map first, that can be a little irksome.  

This is probably the best way to look at it imo.  It is part of the story, getting to know and befriend your mount, and get some map currency and achievements in the process.

That is what I did as well, and it is the best way to look at it as is.

It's just my preference for Mounts and movement based shortcuts to be unlocked at the end as something that makes the map easier, once the story is done. As a big pay off for all your work, especially in reward for harder content like raids and such.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

Road blocks can be annoying and while I myself dont find the raptor mastery gating a problem I could see why you do.

As justification as to why they chose to do this and this might help you accept why it is done.

When anet develops content especially story it needs to account for what the player can do. So since pof introduces the mounts they need to make sure you reach a certain baseline otherwise they are unable to incorporate that feature into any of their story.  Which would make the pof expandion a fairly poor afair as the story would end up making no use of the mounts and even if it did for optional things within the story you would likely see greater pushback there.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

That is what I did as well, and it is the best way to look at it as is.

It's just my preference for Mounts and movement based shortcuts to be unlocked at the end as something that makes the map easier, once the story is done. As a big pay off for all your work, especially in reward for harder content like raids and such.

That's reasonable, and traditional for most games I think.  I rather like that they incorporated it into the story and open world, which is where GW2 shines, and made it a very natural feel with big, wide maps and obnoxious aggroing enemies to avoid lol.  Does it lack the feeling of reward and accomplishment...perhaps.  It does help you to obtain future goals though and to see it through on your adventures.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kodokuna Akuma.9570 said:

Road blocks can be annoying and while I myself dont find the raptor mastery gating a problem I could see why you do.

As justification as to why they chose to do this and this might help you accept why it is done.

When anet develops content especially story it needs to account for what the player can do. So since pof introduces the mounts they need to make sure you reach a certain baseline otherwise they are unable to incorporate that feature into any of their story.  Which would make the pof expandion a fairly poor afair as the story would end up making no use of the mounts and even if it did for optional things within the story you would likely see greater pushback there.

I can understand that as to why it was done the way it has been done. Again, it's not hard to do the masteries, just an extra step for an extra step, for an extra step. Which I feel the time on that could be better spent in other aspects of the story.

Mounts are a huge thing however and to my personal preference should be one of the final large pay offs for an expansion/end game content. "You beat the story, killed the big bad, we entrust this companion to you for your journey" kind of thing. To reach unlockables, secrets, etc. GW2 went a different path, nothing wrong with that in general, I just find it not to my liking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

That's reasonable, and traditional for most games I think.  I rather like that they incorporated it into the story and open world, which is where GW2 shines, and made it a very natural feel with big, wide maps and obnoxious aggroing enemies to avoid lol.  Does it lack the feeling of reward and accomplishment...perhaps.  It does help you to obtain future goals though and to see it through on your adventures.  

Nothing wrong with liking it as it is, as there is nothing wrong with me disliking it. If you like it i'm glad. I do find it interesting that of all the things that require lots and lots of time to do in this game, that mounts were the thing they chose to not do it for most of them. Most.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, yoni.7015 said:

But isn’t that the griffon that you can get after you completed the story? It would be a bit weird if you get five mounts at once after the story. 

There is indeed the griffon after, but you get ALL of the mounts over one expansion. Only the Griffon and the Skyscale are after. That makes the early mounts feel forced and unnecessary to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

As I've said, I am aware. I know it's not hard. Just feels unnecessary to need a mount to get a mount to continue story. Feels very redundant.

I didn't say it's hard...you mentioned that leveling to progress is normal and fine in your opinion and I just pointed out that unlocking masteries is the exact same thing.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

There is indeed the griffon after, but you get ALL of the mounts over one expansion. Only the Griffon and the Skyscale are after. That makes the early mounts feel forced and unnecessary to me.

Why do they feel forced and unnecessary? They are not. You get them one by one while playing the story. 
By now I don’t even know what your problem is or why you are complaining about mounts five years after they were implemented. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, yoni.7015 said:

Why do they feel forced and unnecessary? They are not. You get them one by one while playing the story. 

"Here's a mount. Level it up and get another mount to move on. etc" it's like an overly excited kid showing off a bunch of new toys to you one after the other. Yes they all have a function, but it feels like they forced them to have those purposes just for the sake of having them to get you to the next one. Not truly for the pay off of a cool way to get around the world as a reward.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, Sarius.9285 said:

I didn't say it's hard...you mentioned that leveling to progress is normal and fine in your opinion and I just pointed out that unlocking masteries is the exact same thing.

It's more the redundancy of needing a mount to get a mount etc. Putting time into a mount, to then get another one to put time into. Makes them feel less important to the story and more just an extra step in it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

1 minute ago, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

"Here's a mount. Level it up and get another mount to move on. etc" it's like an overly excited kid showing off a bunch of new toys to you one after the other. Yes they all have a function, but it feels like they forced them to have those purposes just for the sake of having them to get you to the next one. Not truly for the pay off of a cool way to get around the world as a reward.

I disagree. That’s nonsense. They all have unique movement abilities and purposes but not for the sake to get the next one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I think most people forget how unnatural it feels as a new player going through the story. Suddenly your progress stops and you're told "Oh, you'll need to go ahead and grind xp for a while so you can unlock the ability to jump on mushrooms". It's very jarring. I had the exact same experience. When you're really enjoying the story and suddenly are forced to stop enjoying it because you were leveling the 'wrong' mastery, it's annoying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

Nothing wrong with liking it as it is, as there is nothing wrong with me disliking it. If you like it i'm glad. I do find it interesting that of all the things that require lots and lots of time to do in this game, that mounts were the thing they chose to not do it for most of them. Most.

I agree, to each their own, there's no wrong answer.  I've rather enjoyed considering if they had designed it entirely to be accessible by walking/running as opposed to mounts, even though it's a feature of PoF much like gliding in HoT.  It's an interesting hypothetical situation and would have made for a different game play. 

So let's say they had it as a reward for...map completion of each area, or personal story completion in corresponding maps.  Would that have felt more tacked on or more rewarding?  Would a quest chain, much like with the roller beetle, griffon, or skyscale have felt better to do afterwards than during the course of the story and exploration?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I agree, to each their own, there's no wrong answer.  I've rather enjoyed considering if they had designed it entirely to be accessible by walking/running as opposed to mounts, even though it's a feature of PoF much like gliding in HoT.  It's an interesting hypothetical situation and would have made for a different game play. 

So let's say they had it as a reward for...map completion of each area, or personal story completion in corresponding maps.  Would that have felt more tacked on or more rewarding?  Would a quest chain, much like with the roller beetle, griffon, or skyscale have felt better to do afterwards than during the course of the story and exploration?

I do believe the quest chain rewarded, or map completion rewarded, would have felt much better to me as a player to receive for the other mounts. Skyscale only feels good to get AFTER you've got it though, because it's over. Thanks timegating lol.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

I think most people forget how unnatural it feels as a new player going through the story. Suddenly your progress stops and you're told "Oh, you'll need to go ahead and grind xp for a while so you can unlock the ability to jump on mushrooms". It's very jarring. I had the exact same experience. When you're really enjoying the story and suddenly are forced to stop enjoying it because you were leveling the 'wrong' mastery, it's annoying.

Even though I am bringing up PoF, HoT was worse about the mastery grind at first for the gliding and such. PoF mastery for the "required movement map mechanic" is easier. No less unnecessary feeling to me.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

You literally need mastery 3 raptor just for the long jump to get the springer to get the final memory crystal in the main story for PoF lol.

Yes but the long jump is not just there to get the springer. It is a quite useful ability, even after you got the springer. 

• Like 4