Well, Steam complaints are starting to flood in...

Crono.4197

Just now, robertthebard.8150 said:

Really?  Because here's the information from FFIV's page:  FFIV  It seems to say something completely different from what you're pushing here.  I wonder, if I looked up ESO and WoW in the same way if I'd more fictional "facts"?

What is completely different?  $40 for the 'FINAL FANTASY XIV ONLINE COMPLETE EDITION' it includes the base game and all expansions through Endwalker – all in one comprehensive package!'' 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Maikimaik.1974 said:

Well this is highly dishonest considering both WoW and FFXIV charge monthly subscription fees that are 4 to 5 times more expensive than a single LW episode.

No, that isn't dishonest. People are well aware of the subscription fee associated with both WoW and FFXIV, but those incremental content updates between expansions come at no additional cost to the player. You'll note I did say "Each incremental patch between expansion releases is "free" in that there is no extra charge to participate in it". Ignoring the context in which I was making the statement, and its very contents, is "dishonest".

Also while a single month of a sub may cost more than a single LW episode, the purchasing of the entire Season 2 pack is roughly $15 (which you'll be spending $20 on due to the increments that they let you purchase gems), another $11 to $12 or so for the Season 3 pack, and another $11 to $12 for the Season 4 pack, and another $11 to $12 for the Icebrood Saga pack. This isn't including the purchase of EoD and PoF/HoT which are both $30. In total you'd be spending $20 at least 3 times for a total of 4800 Gems ($20 x 2 + $10 only gets you to 4000 when the total cost for all packs is 4160; funny how they make that work out like that, huh) Which all this totals out to $120 up front for full access to the game. For someone new coming into the game...that is a lot of money in total just to get access to the whole game outright. Destiny 2 and ESO both have these similar issues. The buy in to start, if you want full access, is fairly freaking steep. Even WoW and FFXIV both bundle prior expansions into purchases of the current one these days, to make their games more accessible up front as opposed to having a crazy up front cost to access the whole game when they already have a subscription.

That also doesn't refute the fact that the two other highly notable MMORPGs I mentioned both have no sub fee while also still providing content updates at no additional cost to the player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Miragen.6127 said:

What is completely different?  $40 for the 'FINAL FANTASY XIV ONLINE COMPLETE EDITION' it includes the base game and all expansions through Endwalker – all in one comprehensive package!'' 

...and 14.99 a month if you want to play it unrestricted.  So, you're deliberately misleading people in this thread, what's that about?

$14.99 a month for 12 months is $179.88 dollars a year.  There are other packages with different rates, but for a baseline, this will suffice.  That's how much "included" stuff costs to actually use.  WoW's month to month is the same, as is ESO's.  Again, they too offer different packages for pricing, but this again will suffice to demonstrate that "but they include all the stuffs" is misleading.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

I mean I already did, 15$ for a complete WoW experience, 40$ for a complete FF14 experience $40 for a complete New World experience, $40 for ESO.

In the long run you'll get different numbers with subscriptions, expansions and whatnot, but for an entry level experience.

You forgot the addendum "For a month" to Wow, and ESO certainly cost more than 40 dollar for all content.

Had to correct myself in doubt, but I'm pretty sure FFXIV is also subscription based.

That's disingenious.

Edited by Naxos.2503
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Maikimaik.1974 said:

Could you please stop lying? $15 for a "complete" WoW experience that lasts a whopping 1 month is a temporary, 2 week long promotion.

Interesting take to describe factual information as ''lying''.

claim your FREE copy of the Shadowlands Base Edition, along with a Level 50 Character Boost through the Battle.net Desktop App. Play the complete Shadowlands experience and get an early start preparing for the launch of Dragonflight later in 2022

Sure it's a temporary promotion to redeem it, but that is more than what Guild Wars 2 is doing, discounts are also temporary, doesn't change that as of right now ESO is cheap to get in to.

Blizzard is giving away an expansion from late 2020, ArenaNet charges you for expansions from 2015.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Miragen.6127 said:

claim your FREE copy of the Shadowlands Base Edition, along with a Level 50 Character Boost through the Battle.net Desktop App. Play the complete Shadowlands experience and get an early start preparing for the launch of Dragonflight later in 2022

Sure it's a temporary promotion to redeem it, but that is more than what Guild Wars 2 is doing, discounts are also temporary, doesn't change that as of right now ESO is cheap to get in to.

Blizzard is giving away an expansion from late 2020, ArenaNet charges you for expansions from 2015.

Great stuff. Still subscription based.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Naxos.2503 said:

You forgot the addendum "For a month" to Wow, and ESO certainly cost more than 40 dollar for all content. That's disingenious.

I clearly stated that, but feel free to only read what you want to hear so you can complain about it or play dumb and pretend you didn't know WoW had a subscription model as you'd be the only person on the planet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Except that once you buy the complete Steam package, you don't have to spend any money on the game, unless you choose to.  You can log in every day and play to your heart's content, and never have to use that credit card, if you don't choose to.  Not to mention, WoW's free trial caps at 20, are you going to be able to use that 50 character w/out paying a sub?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

...and 14.99 a month if you want to play it unrestricted.  So, you're deliberately misleading people in this thread, what's that about?

$14.99 a month for 12 months is $179.88 dollars a year.  There are other packages with different rates, but for a baseline, this will suffice.  That's how much "included" stuff costs to actually use.  WoW's month to month is the same, as is ESO's.  Again, they too offer different packages for pricing, but this again will suffice to demonstrate that "but they include all the stuffs" is misleading.

Your lacking reading comprehension isn't the same as me misleading you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

This promotion lasts for two weeks and I don't remember them ever doing something similar before.

LS episodes are consistently free for several months after release.

You cannot compare a temporary promotion of one game with the full price of another.

Edited by Maikimaik.1974

Except that once you buy the complete Steam package, you don't have to spend any money on the game, unless you choose to.  You can log in every day and play to your heart's content, and never have to use that credit card, if you don't choose to.  Not to mention, WoW's free trial caps at 20, are you going to be able to use that 50 character w/out paying a sub?

Unless you choose to, you just have to deal with the nuisance of the cash shop and intentional inconveniences and inventory management constantly and can easily spend more monthly than a WoW sub to get the same level of convenience.. it's only cheaper because you pay for it by being inconvenienced and dealing with it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Your lacking reading comprehension isn't the same as me misleading you.

No, I'm just being polite, so I don't get any messages from forum moderators.  In case you didn't notice, you're not misleading me, I actually looked up data and posted it, demonstrating how false your information is.

• Like 4

Just now, Maikimaik.1974 said:

This promotion lasts dor two weeks.

LS episodes are consistently free for several months after release.

You cannot compare a temporary promotion of one game with the full price of another.

Again I'm talking about the situation as of right now, the fact that LW was free 5 years ago isn't relevant to a player who is looking at their options today, they see a promotion on WoW and ESO and a hefty price tag on GW2.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Miragen.6127 said:

I clearly stated that, but feel free to only read what you want to hear so you can complain about it or play dumb and pretend you didn't know WoW had a subscription model as you'd be the only person on the planet.

Oh I'm not. I'm just finding it interesting how you dont see how the Rising costs of a subscription model dont quickly add up and overtake the prices of a buy to play game and still find it cheaper. 

By your numbers, any subscription models you listed, for the price of the 100€ bundle on gw2, let you play 3 months, before it gets more expensive than Gw2. And somehow you dont see how that may be relevant. 

I return your comment to you about playing dumb.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

Before eod, gw2 had events giving all living world for free. For newer players that did not buy them yet. When new living world is released they are free for quite some time before you have to pay for them. It’s not only blizzard that “gives” content for free

• Like 3

No, I'm just being polite, so I don't get any messages from forum moderators.  In case you didn't notice, you're not misleading me, I actually looked up data and posted it, demonstrating how false your information is.

If you refuse to acknowledge what an entry level experience is and ignore me specifically stating that the cost will vary over time due to subscription fees and other costs, that's on you.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

Again I'm talking about the situation as of right now, the fact that LW was free 5 years ago isn't relevant to a player who is looking at their options today, they see a promotion on WoW and ESO and a hefty price tag on GW2.

Not everyone is stingy and only buys the cheapest or discounted stuff. And the price is not the only factor, in the end it comes down to what game people like more. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 1

A situation that lasts for two weeks is entirely irrelevant if we want to honestly compare the price of two games. Literally just 11 days from now WoW will again cost $65 to access the entire game for a single month.

• Like 2

If you refuse to acknowledge what an entry level experience is and ignore me specifically stating that the cost will vary over time due to subscription fees and other costs, that's on you.

I'm talking about overall value, not 30 days of game time.  I notice you ignored the per year cost of your "but they include all the stuffs", right?  There must be a reason for that, right?  yes, there is, because if you have to acknowledge that you can play GW 2 indefinitely for free after your initial investment, your arguments fall flat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Naxos.2503 said:

Oh I'm not. I'm just finding it interesting how you dont see how the Rising costs of a subscription model dont quickly add up and overtake the prices of a buy to play game and still find it cheaper. 

By your numbers, any subscription models you listed, for the price of the 100€ bundle on gw2, let you play 3 months, before it gets more expensive than Gw2. And somehow you dont see how that may be relevant. 

I return your comment to you about playing dumb.

I never said any of those things, just you create a nice little strawman, again I clearly stated the additional costs that will occur in the long run, you just decided to not acknowledge that part of it. 

Everyone understands that monthly fees are monthly and increase as months progress, but I didn't know I needed to include math for dummies in my comment and expected at least a basic level of understanding from people.

Entry level, for you to experience the game right now today, not some arbitrary number about what the costs are 6 months from now or whatever you're trying to push.

• Confused 1

Just now, Voyant.1327 said:

We essentially have people arguing over whether they prefer a subscription based model over a f2p in 2022.

This is like people arguing whether tea or lemonade is better.

Its whatever you like the taste of.

Not really, we're arguing whether buy to play or a sub model is cheaper.  Pick one...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Voyant.1327 said:

We essentially have people arguing over whether they prefer a subscription based model over a f2p in 2022.

This is like people arguing whether tea or lemonade is better.

Its whatever you like the taste of.

Preferences are fine, but false information is not. So long as someone claims Guild wars 2 is somehow More expensive than subscription based MMos, I'll take issue.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

Before eod, gw2 had events giving all living world for free. For newer players that did not buy them yet. When new living world is released they are free for quite some time before you have to pay for them. It’s not only blizzard that “gives” content for free

Guess I just have to built a time machine now.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3