Why 100% condi duration in open world builds?

Axelteas.7192

I play since beta, and still dont understand why in every build website is recommended full vipers+krait rune for open world and dungeon builds.

In open world mobs die within seconds and even veteran mobs die before all the conditions get extinguished.

I know viper is beter in hard bosses and all that, but why against trash? I'm I losing something?

Wouldn't kill faster and with better raw condi burst by using full sinister with some rune that boosts pure condi damage?

You're assuming a perfect world where you're just standing still, hitting enemies and veteran is the highest rank. In the real world, especially in Heart of Thorns and similar content, you need to be moving around, avoiding damage, helping allies, and facing enemies of elite, champion and even legendary ranks.

If you're a Thief or similar you're also going to be in and out of stealth alot.

Having a very high condition duration lets you do more with less. With 100% duration, you only have to apply half the conditions for the same damage over time, giving you more room to perform other tasks.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

I play since beta, and still dont understand why in every build website is recommended full vipers+krait rune for open world and dungeon builds.

In open world mobs die within seconds and even veteran mobs die before all the conditions get extinguished.

I know viper is beter in hard bosses and all that, but why against trash? I'm I losing something?

Wouldn't kill faster and with better raw condi burst by using full sinister with some rune that boosts pure condi damage?

True you could use a Power style build for trash and then change to Condition style build for a boss but I think for most people that will mess up your muscle memory.

I mean my Open World build is not the highest DPS since I take a lot of defensive stuff.

Edited by Mell.4873

The difference in condi "burst" between viper/krait and something that trades experise for raw dmg is very minor and since trash dies so fast either way, it doesn't really matter. However in longer fights the extra duration can make a significant difference.

So for more burst the best option is to just go power (Which incase of ranger is the better dps option currently, unless you happen to be one of the very few players who can pull off a flawless untamed rotation - and even then in terms of burst power slb is still far better)

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

The difference in condi "burst" between viper/krait and something that trades experise for raw dmg is very minor and since trash dies so fast either way, it doesn't really matter. However in longer fights the extra duration can make a significant difference.

So for more burst the best option is to just go power (Which incase of ranger is the better dps option currently, unless you happen to be one of the very few players who can pull off a flawless untamed rotation - and even then in terms of burst power slb is still far better)

With the recent buffs to power, axe has become super hybrid. I've even played with half armor viper and the other half berserker and it worked so well. I cannot do the same with shortbow or torch.

Edited by Axelteas.7192

Just like how when you are in heavy moving encounters (wether its a moving boss, or you having to move/dodge mechanics) ranged build that does DPS 100% of the time can quickly be superior to a much better melee build that can only do damage 80% of the time. There are also moments when conditions have a superior positioning to power.

If you're just trying to kill [insert random trash mob/vet] as fast as possible you're correct. Power all teh wayy. Untill its a 1 or 2-shot, cuz you cant kill what is already dead, naturally.

But there is more to the game. Wether its 3min+ solo champions battles, the big boss battles (wether its Mordremoth style, or the usual 15/30/60min rotationing encounters) some things actually take long enough for conditions to stack up and last their full duration. And fully apply and run-off again. And again.

Then there are the mechanics you need to do which sometimes actually means NOT dpsing gives the best result. Could be to avoid the big red insta-death area's to running explosives or using stuns for the break bars. All that time your condi's will keep chugging on.

Like recently i did the new Svanir bossfight. Depending on the boss own targetting its quite mobile, especially when the people it targets also start running away. Ended up lasting >10min that fight. The combination of lots of movement and mechanics means ranged and conditions (esp ranged condi builds) were superior than the straight forward berserker melee builds cuz they are able to apply their damage more efficiently.

edit: oh, and lets not forget condi duration benefits things like vulnerability/weakness/chill/... as well. All fine and dandy when you're with 100 other players. But when you are in small group or even solo play, having those up reliably can make a big difference. Like my alac axe ranger may not be the strongest, but having reliable 25 vuln+weakness+chill for 100% of the time trivializes things i probably shouldnt be considering solo and carry groups as well. 

Edited by Myrdreon.7398

On 9/7/2022 at 5:52 PM, Levetty.1279 said:

This is why you don't use condi builds in open world. It baffles me everytime somebody recommends one.

With condos, usually you are staking roughness and vitality, so you can tag and ape down massive amounts of mobs at the same time…. Not doable mealy as well with power builds.