Pure OW PvE idea for legendary armor

Solvar.7953

5 hours ago, Caliboom.3218 said:

I find this "all OW players do is 11111" stereotype funny.

...why are you suddenly writing about that now? Who was it repsonding to?

5 hours ago, Caliboom.3218 said:

Even OW players like to experiment with different builds, boon builds, heal builds, condi builds, meme builds, whatever.

Without a change, it's easy to experiment with exotics.

5 hours ago, Markus.6415 said:

Mhm.. Mhm... I gotta say I'm a bit unsure where the actual "need" of legendary amor in open world content is? I understand that you need a selection of builds and gears for PvP, a different selection for WvW and and also a couple of builds for different PvE instanced content roles. But open world?

GW2 is already an MMO where you can get so many things, so easily and to collect a set of the best armor ingame is really not a challenge (and the best armor here is ascended, legendary is just convenient stat swap with ugly looks*). I'm not a big fan of that "I want to get everything, everywhere, all at once" mentality. You're playing a massively multiplayer online game, just to play it solo? That means you won't get everything out of it.

Exactly, well said. Always thought -before I even aimed at having any- every legendary should encourage/require the players to play wider content of the game. It's not exactly a thing for every legendary, but then again at least in order to be "fully legendary", it seems like a good choice to encourage people to play more of the game instead of just remaining in the basic ow.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Exactly, well said. Always thought -before I even aimed at having any- every legendary should encourage/require the players to play wider content of the game. It's not exactly a thing for every legendary, but then again at least in order to be "fully legendary", it seems like a good choice to encourage people to play more of the game instead of just remaining in the basic ow.

This would be a good argument (and to a degree is true already, with the Gift of Battle and Gift of Exploration), except for the fact that WvW armour takes about 15 hours a week for six months, and PvP something similar.

This isn't "play wider content", this is "get a part time job playing something you don't necessarily like for half a year".

Edited by CrashTestAuto.9108
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9

1 hour ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

This isn't "play wider content", this is "get a part time job playing something you don't necessarily like for half a year".

In order to get full legendary you have to play wider content. You have to play open world for the weapons and accessories, for the armor you can play raids, WvW or PvP, for the rings you play WvW and raid, for the amulet you can play open world or PvP and for the backpack you can choose between fractals, WvW and PvP. 
I think it’s good that you have to play every aspect of the game to get the most prestigious items in the game. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

The issue with this is the Return To achievements are extremely restrictive

lol. That emulet is just free, with effort next to none as you move through the story 🤦‍♂️ Whether it was supposed to be stretching out content to keep players in the game before the expansion or -due to obviously coinciding release dates- an attempt to bait/show off legendary armory to the players, claiming that this was in any way hard or grindy to get (which is what some people on this forum repeat) just isn't true. People trying to put that as an example of hard/long (or restrictive?) way to get leggies only show they want the opposite.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

This would be a good argument (and to a degree is true already, with the Gift of Battle and Gift of Exploration), except for the fact that WvW armour takes about 15 hours a week for six months, and PvP something similar.

Because you need to max out the rewards every week or it doesn't count, or what are you suggesting here? I wasn't maxing it out and still got the wvw leggies.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

lol. That emulet is just free, with effort next to none as you move through the story 🤦‍♂️ Whether it was supposed to be stretching out content to keep players in the game before the expansion or -due to obviously coinciding release dates- an attempt to bait/show off legendary armory to the players, claiming that this was in any way hard or grindy to get (which is what some people on this forum repeat) just isn't true. People trying to put that as an example of hard/long (or restrictive?) way to get leggies only show they want the opposite.

The only way you could possibly have got this interpretation is by both editing the post to miss most of the content (as you did), and also misread it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

6 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

The only way you could possibly have got this interpretation is by both editing the post to miss most of the content (as you did), and also misread it?

Which part, about the additional rewards? Those rewards could as well not be there and it would still be free and low effort.

6 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Part time job for six months, or less for more months.  The point doesn't change.

Long term is long term, I agree that the point doesn't change. Then you'll say nobody said anything about "beelining into legenadaries" -sure, maybe nobody directly says that, but the constant pointing out of "it takes 6 months if I max out the rewards, so it's too long/too much!" is talking about beelining into that reward. You can intertwine content in this game instead of camping just one and you don't need to max out rewards to still make progress.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Which part, about the additional rewards? Those rewards could as well not be there and it would still be free and low effort.

Long term is long term, I agree that the point doesn't change. Then you'll say nobody said anything about "beelining into legenadaries" -sure, maybe nobody directly says that, but the constant pointing out of "it takes 6 months if I max out the rewards, so it's too long/too much!" is talking about beelining into that reward. You can intertwine content in this game instead of camping just one and you don't need to max out rewards to still make progress.

It's nothing to do with beelining.  Six months is perfectly fine.  The problem, as has been repeatedly pointed out, is that six months in a game mode you don't want to play is not fun.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

39 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

It's nothing to do with beelining.  Six months is perfectly fine.  The problem, as has been repeatedly pointed out, is that six months in a game mode you don't want to play is not fun.

Then don’t do it. No one is forcing you to spend time in a game mode you don’t enjoy. Legendary armor is purely qol, it has the same stats as ascended armor. 
If they would add legendary armor to open world then you could get legendary by only playing open world in all slots but three. I don’t think this is good for the game. You should see the bigger picture here. To get full legendary you should have to play all aspects of the game. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

Genuine question, what do people get by gatekeeping a QoL item? I don't understand, are you losing something? Are the efforts you spent on your legendaries being negated? It doesn't even have to use a new skin, it can use the ascended skin, just making it stat selectable.

Edited by Caliboom.3218
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

24 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Except that it came from you responding with this:

1 hour ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

...to this:

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

So first you understood it's about playing wider content, but dismissed it bnecause "it's a part time job for half a year", but now that it's not about beelining, so it's no longer some kind of "part time job", it's about "disliking the mode". 🤨

So it would be a good argument if it wasn't part time job, but now that we understand it's not part time job, but a long term goal, it's bad because someone dislikes the mode.

In other words, to me it seems like what you wanted to initially respond there is: "it would be a good argument, but it doesn't fit the goal I have, soo... Lets say this part is bad. Ok, now that it's not part time job, the other part is also bad".

@Caliboom.3218swift dodge on that random mention of "1111" and the fact players can easly experiment with exotics, eh? 😉  The question you asked again was already answered and -tldr- nobody is gatekeeping anything from anyone. Play more of the game's content to get more rewards.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

...why are you suddenly writing about that now? Who was it repsonding to?

Without a change, it's easy to experiment with exotics.

In response to this post, it was something that had been mentioned a few times in this thread, that OW players didn't need legendary armor because they 11111 the bosses anyway.

And raiders and WvWers can also experiment with exotics as well, raids are doable with exotics since it's a minimal DPS difference and WvW is more skill based than gear based. PvPers don't even need the armor at all because the amulet system is a thing, which makes their gear null.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

13 minutes ago, Caliboom.3218 said:

In response to this post, it was something that had been mentioned a few times in this thread, that OW players didn't need legendary armor because they 11111 the bosses anyway.

And raiders and WvWers can also experiment with exotics as well, raids are doable with exotics since it's a minimal DPS difference and WvW is more skill based than gear based. PvPers don't even need the armor at all because the amulet system is a thing, which makes their gear null.

Sure they can. Notice I didn't somehow say anyone needs legendary, nobody does. But it's a reward for playing broader content of the game and as much as I'd rather see every legendary promote that, that ship clearly has sailed, so at the very least for me it's absolutely reasonable to stick to "being full legendary" requiring playing broader content of the game. It's not that leggies are needed there, it's that leggies are additional/optional rewards or goals that reward players going beyond the base open world content.

👇

That is my reasoning and it was even way before I took any interest in realistically going for any legendary gear. So whenever someone tries to go on with those "you're trying to gatekeep it from the others!", "you only care about mode x and not y!" or similar ones, it's just... extremely far from the truth. And yeah, when I say "you can easly experiment with exotics [before maaaaybe going for ascended]", I'm not "just saying it", it's based on what I did and know it's a fact. Believe it or not, I'm not just guessing and preaching something I didn't do myself. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Bear.9568 said:

Only one way to get legendary armor.

EARN IT!

Raids/PvP/WvW are your choices. Either you choose one or do without.

Vet players are more valuable then a bunch of casual/new players. We pump revenue consistently for anet. New players are here and gone in a month.

If you think anet is going to lower the requirements for legendary armor just to cater to causal/new players you're wrong.

You can either accept that you will never have legendary armor or go earn it like the vets have.

Now I’m not for open world legendaries as I agree they should take effort to get. however I will say this: 

You come across as a huge elitist here, and do not know what you’re talking about. New and casual players are important for the game. Just like veterans are.

Casual players may contribute to anet by buying gems as they don’t have the time to play all the hours farming like active players do. They are often busy. Be it from work or real life stuff. They may choose to buy gems and get gold that way since they don’t have much time to farm.

So do you think these casual players are worth less then a veteran who farms gold and buy gems that way instead? It’s those players who support the game most. The players who actually pay for the gems. Not the veterans who got the gold to exchange it. 

Telling the community that veterans are more worth then new and casual players is oozing ignorance. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bear.9568 said:

Only one way to get legendary armor.

EARN IT!

Raids/PvP/WvW are your choices. Either you choose one or do without.

Vet players are more valuable then a bunch of casual/new players. We pump revenue consistently for anet. New players are here and gone in a month.

If you think anet is going to lower the requirements for legendary armor just to cater to causal/new players you're wrong.

You can either accept that you will never have legendary armor or go earn it like the vets have.

As a matter of facts, I did earned both sets of my Legendary Armor.

How did you become a vet? You have some shortcuts? You started as a new player, the same as everyone else. New players pump revenue consistently for anet and eventually become vets.

2 hours ago, Bear.9568 said:

PvE in all it's content is a joke and easily doable by any player who puts in the time to L2P.

It's not selfish to expect that everyone earn their armor the same way that previous players have. It's called fairness.

Fact is this has been brought up too many times to count and Anet hasn't changed their stance on it.

L2P or live with your exotic/ascended armor.

So Raids is a joke since it's PvE as well? Fractals? CM Strikes? DE Meta? They're all a joke?

So according to you, it's not fair to those who started playing pre-PoF since they had no mounts?

1 hour ago, Bear.9568 said:

Did you buy the base game for $60? No, it was handed to you as F2P

Did you purchase the xpacs and LW seasons?

Did you grind out anything legendary? No, that's obv from your posts

Have you purchased anything from the gem store?

Do you even play the game or just sit here and complain about easier rewards?

The devs would agree that veteran players are more valuable to the game as they have a passion and commitment.

Yes, I did all that and probably invested more time and effort to get all my legendary items than you did. And I still support a 4th way of acquiring legendary armors

1 hour ago, yoni.7015 said:

It wouldn’t be an improvement for the game overall. 
The game already gives you multiple opportunities and ways to get legendary armor. 
Still, open world is the content where you can get the most legendary items: all legendary weapons, two accessories and one amulet. 

Why wouldn't it be an improvement when you can have more players with more long-term goals? It'll means players are more likely to stay in the game longer and probably spend more?

OpenWorld is where every single player starts at. Everyone has to play it to get further into harder contents. So it's only logical that most legendary items are acquired there. Extra legendary items in any of the game modes will not take anything away from anything. Or would you rather Anet stop implementing new legendary items into the game (be it for Raids, WvW, PvP or OW)?

• Like 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Silent.6137 said:

OpenWorld is where every single player starts at. Everyone has to play it to get further into harder contents. So it's only logical that most legendary items are acquired there. Extra legendary items in any of the game modes will not take anything away from anything. Or would you rather Anet stop implementing new legendary items into the game (be it for Raids, WvW, PvP or OW)?

It is not about taking anything away. You have to see the bigger picture here. If they add legendary armor in open world you can get full legendary in all slots but three just by playing open world. In my opinion it is better to have to play more aspects of the game in order to get full legendary. After all, legendary items are the most prestigious items in the game. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Caliboom.3218 said:

Genuine question, what do people get by gatekeeping a QoL item? I don't understand, are you losing something? Are the efforts you spent on your legendaries being negated? It doesn't even have to use a new skin, it can use the ascended skin, just making it stat selectable.

Asked and answered multiple times, in this thread alone. Literally talking to brick walls here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

Now I’m not for open world legendaries as I agree they should take effort to get. however I will say this: 

You come across as a huge elitist here, and do not know what you’re talking about. New and casual players are important for the game. Just like veterans are.

Casual players may contribute to anet by buying gems as they don’t have the time to play all the hours farming like active players do. They are often busy. Be it from work or real life stuff. They may choose to buy gems and get gold that way since they don’t have much time to farm.

So do you think these casual players are worth less then a veteran who farms gold and buy gems that way instead? It’s those players who support the game most. The players who actually pay for the gems. Not the veterans who got the gold to exchange it. 

Telling the community that veterans are more worth then new and casual players is oozing ignorance. 

It's not eliteist and I could care less of what you think you know. Fact is I've likely spent 10x what most of these players have spent on GW2.

I've played thousands of hours and grinded my way to where I'm at. I started as a casual with no experience and earned every piece of gear I have.

I do not empathize with people asking for legendary armor to be obtainable in open world. It's simply asking for a handout.

I get it, some people don't like to work and ask for handouts or to make things "their way". This isn't burger king. If you want something in life or in a game you earn it. Go grind like everyone else.

You think I liked getting rolled by Scourges/FB's in pvp? Do you think it was enjoyable to get blobbed on a WvW map when outnumbered because relinks didnt take place? NO..... it strait sucked but I persisted and got my legendary armor.

To say we should change something because players "dont like that content" is ridiculous and undermines the value of the reward.

That's all I have to say on this topic. See you in game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

It is not about taking anything away. You have to see the bigger picture here. If they add legendary armor in open world you can get full legendary in all slots but three just by playing open world. In my opinion it is better to have to play more aspects of the game in order to get full legendary. After all, legendary items are the most prestigious items in the game. 

I don't see how that is bad. It really doesn't matter if you can get all Legendary items from OW as long as they're not easy to acquire. No one is advocating OW Legendary armors be easy. It will still be just as prestigious.

Sure, it's better to play all the game modes but not all are comfortable with Raids, for example,for various reasons.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

6 minutes ago, Bear.9568 said:

It's not eliteist and I could care less of what you think you know. Fact is I've likely spent 10x what most of these players have spent on GW2.

I've played thousands of hours and grinded my way to where I'm at. I started as a casual with no experience and earned every piece of gear I have.

I do not empathize with people asking for legendary armor to be obtainable in open world. It's simply asking for a handout.

I get it, some people don't like to work and ask for handouts or to make things "their way". This isn't burger king. If you want something in life or in a game you earn it. Go grind like everyone else.

You think I liked getting rolled by Scourges/FB's in pvp? Do you think it was enjoyable to get blobbed on a WvW map when outnumbered because relinks didnt take place? NO..... it strait sucked but I persisted and got my legendary armor.

To say we should change something because players "dont like that content" is ridiculous and undermines the value of the reward.

That's all I have to say on this topic. See you in game.

I said I agree legendaries shouldn’t be added to open world but ok. Your word salad is appreciated. 

What I reacted and responded to was your behavior towards new and casual players. Even if you disagree with them, you should treat them with respect. You did not and that is what I was pointing out. 

You working and grinding for what you achieved has nothing to do with anything I said. 

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bear.9568 said:

To say we should change something because players "dont like that content" is ridiculous and undermines the value of the reward.

This is actually a good point. I mean you wouldn’t change the duration of a football game because someone says that 90 minutes are too long for him. 

6 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Sure, it's better to play all the game modes but not all are comfortable with Raids, for example,for various reasons.

Then they have two other options to get legendary armor. But sometimes it is good to step out of your comfort zone, try something new and widen your horizon, no matter if it’s in the game or in real life. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, yoni.7015 said:

Then they have to other options to get legendary armor. Sometimes it is good to step out or your comfort zone and widen your horizon, no matter if it’s in the game or in real life. 

It's easy for those of us to say words such as that but not everyone are build the same way. There are players who absolutely love this game but are terrified to venture into those game modes for whatever reason. One prime example is a guildie of mine who would not do Raid because of a "traumatic" experience the first and only time she tried it. She messed up on a training run and was chewed out publicly by someone (not sure if it was the trainer or another in the squad) instead of being told in private chat. If something like that would to happen to me, I might get angry but will probably laugh it off. It won't stop me. But I do not operate the same way as her or some of these players.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

33 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

It wouldn’t be an improvement for the game overall. 

That's something that can be argued about. Saying that things should not be changed just because everyone should be doing things exactly the same way everyone before them did it is not an argument in that discussion however. It just gives a feeling of a cranky and hidebound old grandpa mumbling about how the kids nowadays just want everything too easy and how in his days everyone was wiping their behind with leaves. And liked it.

The game already gives you multiple opportunities and ways to get legendary armor. 

Yes. So, the game already acknowledges that maybe one approach may not be enough. Besides, don't get too hung out on how many paths they are. Look at how big percentage of the player population they cover. And so it happens that all those 3 paths together require content that a huge majority of players do not play.

Still, open world is the content where you can get the most legendary items: all legendary weapons, two accessories and one amulet. 

Yes. And so what? At best it just means that some other modes are also in need of adding more legendaries to them. Besides, see above: open world gets more legendaries, because it is being played by vastly more players.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5