Jump to content
  • Sign Up

[Solved] Screen Tearing with DX11


Recommended Posts

Turning off DX9 causes horizontal flickering lines across my screen.

Third-party addons seem to have no effect on it, unless they affect performance, in which case the flickering gets more frequent.
V-Sync manages to hide the issue, but its chafing in certain scenarios (too much Kitsch Wars endgame, sharp turns...) is still visible.
Doesn't happen at all when using DX9, even on the same - or (much) more demanding - Graphics and/or addon settings.

First noticed after the patch that made DX11 the new black, but that could be simply because I'd been using solely DX9 before then.


Summary of our troubleshooting with the glorious bastards of the Customer Support Vanguard:
1. Turned off everything I could at Windows' startup.
2. Cleaned up Winsock entries.
3. Ran GW2 as Admin.
4. Lowered Graphics settings to oblivion; let the in-game V-Sync take care of things instead of Nvidia's. 
5. -Repair'd the installation.
6. Ran Windows' SFC scan, finding some corrupted files and fixing them.
7. Updated both Nvidia's and Intel's graphics drivers.
8. Made and tested a new user account.
9. Completely re-installed GW2.
10. Ran GW2 as Admin in Win 7 compatibility mode.
The tearing was - and is - still present through everything, save for step (channels inner Jhin) FOUR: Tyrian V-Sync works much better than Nvidia's (namely without the honey-swimming), and it also showed that performance has powerful impact on the problem.

I remember looking this particular issue up on the forums before, finding only a single thread with very few views and no responses, and now not being able to find it anymore at all, so I imagine either this particular hitch is rather specific, or I'm missing something blindingly obvious.



SOLVED: Changed an old HDMI cable for a new DisplayPort 1.4 one.

Edited by Vyr.9387
Solution added.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your monitor is freesync or gsync compatible turn it on, they work much better than vsync. If you don’t have either best way I’ve found to reduce tearing is to get the game running at the same fps as your monitors refresh rate, I.e. 60 FPS on a 60hz monitor. You can also try nvidia reflex in the control panel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Try running the game with DXVK or d12pxy and see if you still have the same problem. These are addons that completely replace DX11 by emulating it on top of a different API.

 
Couldn't get Vulkan to work, I think. The client came up with an error after logging in as if I didn't have DX9 installed, and the game, although starting and running completely fine, immediately swapped to DX9 from 11, which means the tearing wasn't there to begin with.
Same with DX912pxy. Naturally didn't work on 11, and the problem doesn't exist on 9.

 

 

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

At how many Hertz does your monitor run? Could be a monitor-related problem.


Its box claims 165 Hz, but in Win's Advanced Display Settings the only option is 59,951 Hz.

 

 

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Tried just setting the fps limiter to 60?


Yep, nothing changed.


 

1 hour ago, Dathremar.5089 said:

If your monitor is freesync or gsync compatible turn it on, they work much better than vsync. If you don’t have either best way I’ve found to reduce tearing is to get the game running at the same fps as your monitors refresh rate, I.e. 60 FPS on a 60hz monitor. You can also try nvidia reflex in the control panel.


It should be G-Sync compatible, reference to which is both on the box, and Nvidia have a list of all compatible models on their official site, and I'd tried getting it to work after noticing the tears for the first time, but the "Set up G-Sync" option is missing from my Nvidia Control Panel.
Think the furthest I managed to get was a post about HDMI cables not being good enough or outright able to transfer the necessary data to make G-Sync work, which was cited as the reason why I wouldn't see the option. Haven't bought the correct cable yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Vyr.9387 said:

 
Couldn't get Vulkan to work, I think. The client came up with an error after logging in as if I didn't have DX9 installed, and the game, although starting and running completely fine, immediately swapped to DX9 from 11, which means the tearing wasn't there to begin with.
Same with DX912pxy. Naturally didn't work on 11, and the problem doesn't exist on 9.

 

 


Its box claims 165 Hz, but in Win's Advanced Display Settings the only option is 59,951 Hz.

 

 


Yep, nothing changed.


 


It should be G-Sync compatible, reference to which is both on the box, and Nvidia have a list of all compatible models on their official site, and I'd tried getting it to work after noticing the tears for the first time, but the "Set up G-Sync" option is missing from my Nvidia Control Panel.
Think the furthest I managed to get was a post about HDMI cables not being good enough or outright able to transfer the necessary data to make G-Sync work, which was cited as the reason why I wouldn't see the option. Haven't bought the correct cable yet.

Both of these addons should work as they are widely used by the community, if not then it points to something being wrong with your hardware or software. You can try starting the game with "-dx9" or "-dx11" from the command-line, and you should also try testing other games that use these technologies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Vyr.9387 said:

Its box claims 165 Hz, but in Win's Advanced Display Settings the only option is 59,951 Hz.

This indicate a driver issue, you should have a wide range of frequencies to select (ie 60/75/85/120/etc) unless you are running 4k HDMI on a 2.0 cable or something.

(Sounds like its running basic windows settings)

Edited by Dawdler.8521
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Both of these addons should work as they are widely used by the community, if not then it points to something being wrong with your hardware or software. You can try starting the game with "-dx9" or "-dx11" from the command-line, and you should also try testing other games that use these technologies.


Didn't mean it that way.
DX912pxy works without an issue, but since it requires the game to be using DX9 to begin with, there is no problem, because the flickering only shows up when using DX11.

When it comes to Vulkan, I've been browsing the Github page for a while now, with the most common cause of the "no GPU driver installed" error message seemingly being DXVK sometimes looking at the integrated GPU instead of the actual heavy-hitter, a remedy to which should be forcing its virtual gaze onto the latter through environment variables, but I couldn't find a way to do that yet.


 

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

This indicate a driver issue, you should have a wide range of frequencies to select (ie 60/75/85/120/etc) unless you are running 4k HDMI on a 2.0 cable or something.

(Sounds like its running basic windows settings)


Could a driver issue only affect a certain API, in one game?
No real tech background on my part; can see logic in both, but wouldn't rely on either, considering the very limited expertise.

Think I'm using the same cable which had come with the monitor, but there's been a lot of moving around since then - might've got swapped at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Vyr.9387 said:

 Its box claims 165 Hz, but in Win's Advanced Display Settings the only option is 59,951 Hz.

Then this is the issue: you are likely using the wrong type of cable, which doesn't support beyond 60 Hz.

Try a newer DisplayPort cable: https://www.cablematters.com/Blog/DisplayPort/monitor-cable-types-guide

P.S. Check your monitor's specs, too, for compatibility.
 

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Vyr.9387 said:

Could a driver issue only affect a certain API, in one game?
No real tech background on my part; can see logic in both, but wouldn't rely on either, considering the very limited expertise.

Think I'm using the same cable which had come with the monitor, but there's been a lot of moving around since then - might've got swapped at some point.

Well, I dont know if it's the problem just that its well worth a simple check, it's a red flag with the problem description of tearing.  Could be drivers, could just be the cabling.

I have an Acer Predator and 23hz, 24hz, 59hz, 60hz, 85hz, 100hz, 120hz and 144hz as selections in the regular Windows 10 advanced display settings/display adapter properties. That's with it just being a "generic PnP monitor" in device manager.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, laddies and gentlelasses, guess I'm a proud member of Cable (Life) Matters now.

Bought a DP 1.4 cable, more of the refresh rate options AND G-Sync showed up, Tyria is completely free of any visual tearing (so far), and, most importantly, we've once again empirically demonstrated that the Confused emoji means literal nothing at best, and profound ignorance at worst.
A productive couple of days all around, I have to say.

Many thanks for the ideas, and the successful resolution of the issue.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Vyr.9387 changed the title to [Solved] Screen Tearing with DX11
On 10/4/2022 at 2:29 PM, Vyr.9387 said:

[...] and, most importantly, we've once again empirically demonstrated that the Confused emoji means literal nothing at best, and profound ignorance at worst.

Truer words were never spoken.

Thank you, and glad you solved the problem.🙂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...