Research Notes are antagonistic to players

On 10/20/2022 at 2:09 AM, Mik.3401 said:

The system is over complicated i guess to encourage people to spend real money to buy gems and then buy legendaries with it. Just a business model 

Most likely this since they went back to make Aurene Legos purchasable on the TP, when they made a point to make the Gen 2 Legos BoA 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just want my holiday food back. I use Hallows Eve and Wintersday food to supply my army of alts with food and utilities for a whole year. It was frustrating to open Trick or Treat bags that I thought would have those food+utils, when instead I should have just sold the bags. And honestly, it's more useful to salvage food with the Composter than it is to waste food on research notes. For an average player who doesn't have an ascended cooking garden, maybe it's a better deal to turn them into research notes.  Overall I think keeping the food in the holiday bags would just mean that the rock-bottom price for holiday foods would finally raise up on the TP and make them worth selling. Taking these foods out of the holiday bags was a really heavy handed way to attempt to get a certain result - that is, the result of paying a certain price for crafted goods or crafting it yourself.

Edited by Poisonfrog.9812
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Poisonfrog.9812 said:

Overall I think keeping the food in the holiday bags would just mean that the rock-bottom price for holiday foods would finally raise up on the TP and make them worth selling. Taking these foods out of the holiday bags was a really heavy handed way to attempt to get a certain result - that is, the result of paying a certain price for crafted goods or crafting it yourself.

For reference, fast.farming calculates the cheapest cost per research note is currently 68 copper. For a few years, I was straight up vendoring foods that I didn't want for mere tens of coppers, because it wasn't worth the listing fee to put them on the TP.  But if their price went up from a few coppers to 68 copper as a result of being able to salvage to research notes, that's a big price increase! (Comparatively speaking.)  Instead, 10 years in somebody decided that fiddling with the food source itself was the best way to keep research notes from getting too cheap.  Or as if leaving stuff like rock-bottom holiday food alone for 10 years somehow needed to finally be rectified.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Poisonfrog.9812 said:

For reference, fast.farming calculates the cheapest cost per research note is currently 68 copper. For a few years, I was straight up vendoring foods that I didn't want for mere tens of coppers, because it wasn't worth the listing fee to put them on the TP.  But if their price went up from a few coppers to 68 copper as a result of being able to salvage to research notes, that's a big price increase! (Comparatively speaking.)  Instead, 10 years in somebody decided that fiddling with the food source itself was the best way to keep research notes from getting too cheap.  Or as if leaving stuff like rock-bottom holiday food alone for 10 years somehow needed to finally be rectified.

That's a result of design decisions being made by people that do not play their own game (or likely any game at all). They just systematically leech all the fun out of it based on some theoretical (but not very practical) design principles they have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

That's a result of design decisions being made by people that do not play their own game (or likely any game at all). They just systematically leech all the fun out of it based on some theoretical (but not very practical) design principles they have.

Because that worthless food was somehow the pinnacle of gw2's "fun"? Even the post you've quoted said:

For a few years, I was straight up vendoring foods that I didn't want for mere tens of coppers, because it wasn't worth the listing fee to put them on the TP.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

It's a horrible system and I do my best to avoid interacting with it. Once in a while I stat swap some ascended gear in the forge and salvage it for notes. I don't bother crafting stuff especially to salvage, I don't bother buying stuff to salvage. If a merchant item requires the notes I either wait for them to accumulate over time or just ignore the item.

• Like 1