wail of doom

felincyriac.5981

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 8:57 PM, SleepyBat.9034 said:

Maybe they thought it would be too strong if it was a unblockable fear.

There is a good number of people(including me) that think daze is better due to less counterplay and unblockable daze was apparently fine. We have an unblockable mark with the same fear duration. But yeah the situation really sucks, I was actually using a banshee's veiled warhorn in sPVP before the nerf. They just decided to kick this skill in the nuts for some reason.

Many people repeatedly asked for fear on wail of doom (I wasn't part of them).

The reason it is no longer unblockable is most likely because necromancer have many potential traits effects that can proc out of landing fear while a daze, as long as it may be, can proc a single trait at most.

I mean, unblockable daze + torment is fine.

On another hand, unblockable fear (terror) + torment + chill + vuln + bleed + quickness + fury is a bit more difficult to accept.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Many people repeatedly asked for fear on wail of doom (I wasn't part of them).

The reason it is no longer unblockable is most likely because necromancer have many potential traits effects that can proc out of landing fear while a daze, as long as it may be, can proc a single trait at most.

I mean, unblockable daze + torment is fine.

On another hand, unblockable fear (terror) + torment + chill + vuln + bleed + quickness + fury is a bit more difficult to accept.

I don't see any complaints about unblockable staff 5.

Its not like you get all of those things for free, gotta pick a bunch of traits which sacrifices other strong traits. Your specific example is reaper + curses + spite. GL with that lol.

Not only did they make it blockable, but they also increased the cast time by 50%. It's a miracle if it actually works vs melee.

The idea to make it a fear was good, for better synergy, but they ham fisted it and never gave an explanation. 

Edited by felincyriac.5981

11 minutes ago, felincyriac.5981 said:

I don't see any complaints about unblockable staff 5.

Its not like you get all of those things for free, gotta pick a bunch of traits which sacrifices other strong traits. Your specific example is reaper + curses + spite. GL with that lol.

Not only did they make it blockable, but they also increased the cast time by 50%. It's a miracle if it actually works vs melee.

The idea to make it a fear was good, for better synergy, but they ham fisted it and never gave an explanation. 

Staff need soul reaping to be unblockable which mean that you'll lose out a few goodies in the trade.

Furthermore, you can use staff and warhorn as source of fear on the same build while before you only had staff which basically mean double the fear (even more now in PvE since staff's CD reduction).

Now, sure, before you didn't even need to think about switching weapon, yet all of this is powercreep and you need to allocate some power budget in order to keep things balanced. You sure can say it wasn't needed, that the skill is weak or whatever, nonetheless fact is that necromancer can now have perma self quickness and ferocity with little investment while it was a way harder before. Fact is that terror potential dps output have increased a lot by sole virtue of the fact that you can land fear more often than before... etc.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Staff need soul reaping to be unblockable which mean that you'll lose out a few goodies in the trade.

Furthermore, you can use staff and warhorn as source of fear on the same build while before you only had staff which basically mean double the fear (even more now in PvE since staff's CD reduction).

Now, sure, before you didn't even need to think about switching weapon, yet all of this is powercreep and you need to allocate some power budget in order to keep things balanced. You sure can say it wasn't needed, that the skill is weak or whatever, nonetheless fact is that necromancer can now have perma self quickness and ferocity with little investment while it was a way harder before. Fact is that terror potential dps output have increased a lot by sole virtue of the fact that you can land fear more often than before... etc.

same way you'll loose all the "goodies" if you want every additional proc with fear. My point was that no one has called out staff 5 being broken because it could become unblockable. The reasonable thing would've been to just make the wh5 into a fear and then adjust it if necessary, not gut it from the start and not even acknowledge it.

Even with perma self quickness and ferocity, I don't see necro dominating anywhere, speaks to just how equally, if not more, broken the other specs are. Or rather, its the new normal.

Edited by felincyriac.5981
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

You've put your finger on it, they probably didn't like the idea of giving necromancer access to 3 different fear skills that are unblockable on the same build.

Personally I like the fear change, I'm all for more synergy.

Edited by SleepyBat.9034
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, felincyriac.5981 said:

Even with perma self quickness and ferocity, I don't see necro dominating anywhere, speaks to just how equally, if not more, broken the other specs are. Or rather, its the new normal.

With or without quickness necromancer is set to be in a dominant position in WvW by design.

With or without unblockable you'll land the fear in PvE 99% of the time, so it's not a very important feature for this gamemode.

Now this leave us with sPvP, a gamemode for a minority which label it as "dead" whenever they can and complain for the smallest imaginary wound to their pride. And fear uptime is something that the sPvP community have already a beef against even if it's somehow tame at the moment due to the necromancer's community favoring different builds than fear builds. However, just letting a fear build lose in the gamemode is sure to lit the fire of hate.

34 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

With or without quickness necromancer is set to be in a dominant position in WvW by design.

With or without unblockable you'll land the fear in PvE 99% of the time, so it's not a very important feature for this gamemode.

Now this leave us with sPvP, a gamemode for a minority which label it as "dead" whenever they can and complain for the smallest imaginary wound to their pride. And fear uptime is something that the sPvP community have already a beef against even if it's somehow tame at the moment due to the necromancer's community favoring different builds than fear builds. However, just letting a fear build lose in the gamemode is sure to lit the fire of hate.

You can already play gimmick fear builds at low levels in spvp, no one complains about that, because there are far better specs out there. 

My issue with this is that they went further than just changing the daze to a fear. This skill used to be great for quickly interrupting channelled blocked etc.  Even if the skill turned out to be strong, they could've made adjustments afterwards.