Untamed is Rangers Low Intensity Build

Mell.4873

The straight 25% Power damage increase while Unleashed pared with Restorative Strikes provide the perfect Trait recipe for a very good LI Build.

Everyone weapon has good Power auto-attack options so really anything can be used and practices with these two traits. Sure your not pulling Soulbeast or even Fervent Force Untamed numbers but LI Builds normally are about tagging mobs and not doing the bulk of the damage.
The best Combo has to be Axe 1 since it can bounce between targets and can be used for both Power and Condition damage (good with Celestials).

You can bring this build to any Meta event and be able to help while using your entire utility bar for something else. For example, Spirit of Nature, "Search and Rescue" and "Protect Me".

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Haha 3

Ferocious Symbiosis is your low intensity Untamed trait. It gives you a straight up damage increase without raising your APM. Restorative Strikes is a highly situational trait and doesn't have much applicability to normal gameplay. For meta events and instanced content, other people are going to be healing you anyway. For solo gameplay your dodge button and heal skill (and maybe a "protect me!" or "guard" utility skill) will be fine for anything up to legendary mobs. The only reason to consider restorative strikes is you want to solo legendary bounties for some reason. I am hard pressed to think of any other situation in which you might want to take Restorative Strikes. WvW and SPvP is very bursty which makes Restorative Strikes inadequate for self preservation.

Edited by Valfar.3761
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beddo.1907 said:

If you lowered the bar any lower, you would need a shovel.

Low Intensity.........

1 hour ago, Valfar.3761 said:

Ferocious Symbiosis is your low intensity Untamed trait. It gives you a straight up damage increase without raising your APM. Restorative Strikes is a highly situational trait and doesn't have much applicability to normal gameplay. For meta events and instanced content, other people are going to be healing you anyway. For solo gameplay your dodge button and heal skill (and maybe a "protect me!" or "guard" utility skill) will be fine for anything up to legendary mobs. The only reason to consider restorative strikes is you want to solo legendary bounties for some reason. I am hard pressed to think of any other situation in which you might want to take Restorative Strikes. WvW and SPvP is very bursty which makes Restorative Strikes inadequate for self preservation.

15% damage increase means nothing on a LI build.

I'm looking for a build with the least amount of button presses, with Restorative Strikes you would almost never need to heal. You can also use heals like "We Heal As One!" for boon application and not worry about your health. Also I would not use LI builds for Solo.

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Haha 3

Better off with celebeast and just use LB to tag things while perma merged.  You'll do more damage and have more access to self-sustain then you ever will on Untamed.  

Also, holy contradiction:

7 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Low Intensity.........

15% damage increase means nothing on a LI build.

10 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

The straight 25% Power damage increase while Unleashed pared with Restorative Strikes provide the perfect Trait recipe for a very good LI Build.

If you insist on randomly having a 'heal on X' type trait then celebeast with:

Predator's Cunning - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Is what you will use.  Then instead of LB just run SB with piercing arrows and you can pew pew your way to victory.  Will never even need to swap weapons either! 

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Low Intensity

When people say low intensity they genrally mean a dps build doing decent numbers without a complex rotation.

You seem to want an ultra safe build with just auto attacking for open world but I'm not really sure why and I think the only build in the game that could actually do what you seem to want is Rifle Mechanist,  even Restorative Strikes isn't going to be that good if all you are doing is auto attacking.

Edited by Levetty.1279
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Better off with celebeast and just use LB to tag things while perma merged.  You'll do more damage and have more access to self-sustain then you ever will on Untamed.  

Also, holy contradiction:

If you insist on randomly having a 'heal on X' type trait then celebeast with:

Predator's Cunning - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Is what you will use.  Then instead of LB just run SB with piercing arrows and you can pew pew your way to victory.  Will never even need to swap weapons either! 

I use that on the Untamed version too.

The main downside is that Soulbeast is your sustain isn't as good since you rely on certain skills to boost your damage and your primary healing is through poison applications. The Cantrip heal Perilous Gift is much better for sustain as well.

7 hours ago, Levetty.1279 said:

When people say low intensity they genrally mean a dps build doing decent numbers without a complex rotation.

You seem to want an ultra safe build with just auto attacking for open world but I'm not really sure why and I think the only build in the game that could actually do what you seem to want is Rifle Mechanist,  even Restorative Strikes isn't going to be that good if all you are doing is auto attacking.

You got it, I mean the just a personal distinction.
LI generally mean less complex and not really high DPS since there are LI healers/supports.

Edited by Mell.4873

37 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

I use that on the Untamed version too.

The main downside is that Soulbeast is your sustain isn't as good since you rely on certain skills to boost your damage and your primary healing is through poison applications. The Cantrip heal Perilous Gift is much better for sustain as well.

You can prefer different builds, but to say that Perilous Gift is much better for sustain than Celebeast, is just misleading.  

Firstly, Perilous Gift (like everything Untamed) is based around competitive--you are supposed to use it at as low of HP as possible to get the maximum benefit--this is the opposite of LI.  

Secondly, by not even ever unmerging you have more stats on Celebeast with BM than you ever will on Untamed.  Meaning you have better sustain on a LI build, because again, to get sustain on Untamed you actually have to do things.  

I made a topic a while back about Soulbeast being more complex than Untamed now with swap back--I still think this is the case, but only at the high skill side of things.  I absolutely think that Soulbeast still is the easiest to play at the low skill floor because of all the damage bonuses you can get for no effort.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

You can prefer different builds, but to say that Perilous Gift is much better for sustain than Celebeast, is just misleading.  

Firstly, Perilous Gift (like everything Untamed) is based around competitive--you are supposed to use it at as low of HP as possible to get the maximum benefit--this is the opposite of LI.  

Secondly, by not even ever unmerging you have more stats on Celebeast with BM than you ever will on Untamed.  Meaning you have better sustain on a LI build, because again, to get sustain on Untamed you actually have to do things.  

I made a topic a while back about Soulbeast being more complex than Untamed now with swap back--I still think this is the case, but only at the high skill side of things.  I absolutely think that Soulbeast still is the easiest to play at the low skill floor because of all the damage bonuses you can get for no effort.  

Hmm it is just a preference, I'm really only talking about standing still and just auto attacking. Anything more complex would fall outside the LI build.
Merged Soulbeast Damage VS Unleashed Untamed does lead to be about a 10-15% damage increase on Soulbeast (with Beastmastery) but again no percentage heal off attacks.

I guess when I comes down to it, use both.

PS Also you can be a Berserkers Untamed

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Confused 3

Anything becomes "low intensity" when you just autoattack. Has nothing to do with "LI build". Does ranger have a good autoattack only build? No. You gotta press at least some buttons to be somewhat useful. But LI does not equal autoattack only (that would be more of an "afk build" which shouldn't be a thing to begin with) and there are certainly ranger builds that aren't quite as APM heavy as FF Untamed. And soulbeast tends to perform a bit better with less player input than untamed, at least dps wise. Untamed has more passive tankyness due to the 25% dmg reduction (tho camping unleashed pet will further reduce dmg output, just like RS) but soulbeast can also get some passive sustain (eg Natural Healing) - without dmg loss.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Anything becomes "low intensity" when you just autoattack. Has nothing to do with "LI build". Does ranger have a good autoattack only build? No. You gotta press at least some buttons to be somewhat useful. But LI does not equal autoattack only (that would be more of an "afk build" which shouldn't be a thing to begin with) and there are certainly ranger builds that aren't quite as APM heavy as FF Untamed. And soulbeast tends to perform a bit better with less player input than untamed, at least dps wise. Untamed has more passive tankyness due to the 25% dmg reduction (tho camping unleashed pet will further reduce dmg output, just like RS) but soulbeast can also get some passive sustain (eg Natural Healing) - without dmg loss.

Again I'm just talking about Ranger, I'm not concerned whether it is the best LI build.
But everything else I agree with and I guess I am talking about an AFK build. Well what every Engineer Rifle spam is, same sort of build.

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Confused 3

On 11/7/2022 at 2:33 PM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I made a topic a while back about Soulbeast being more complex than Untamed now with swap back--I still think this is the case, but only at the high skill side of things

It is.

Eternal Bond allows for much more complex play & a lot more viability for diversifying different types of builds. There is so much more you can do on a Soulbeast that actually works, than you can do on Untamed. Untamed is really pigeonholed into running just the marks mod/tele-burst LB/GS and you have to use Drake/Smokescale. Untamed has to be setup in a very specific way and if you change any of the meta selections, the build falls apart and it's just bad.

I know a lot of people would say "But my condi Untamed!" No, all variants of Untamed that are not using LB/GS tele-burst, are worse than Core/Druid/Soulbeast versions of those same builds. Untamed for pvp/wvw is only good with that one build and that one build is only good due to the bloated teleport skill that functions on a 20s ICD. If that skill was to have the 50% reduction to ICD on strike removed and it had to be used with the natural 40s ICD, Untamed would quickly drop out of viability & favor.

As far as pve goes, Untamed has the one condi build that looks real cool in a benchmark video, but in actual application that build kind of sucks man. The rotation is absurdly difficult to get any real damage out of the build, and against creatures with actual mechanics that fight back, it's plainly impractical to stand still long enough to actually land that absurdly difficult DPS rotation. Its self-sustained defense is also bad. Realistically, Soulbeast both power & condi builds are far more practical in terms of DPS being easy to land in short intervals that don't require perfect uninterrupted phases, and in the area of self-sustained defenses.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

I know a lot of people would say "But my condi Untamed!" No, all variants of Untamed that are not using LB/GS tele-burst, are worse than Core/Druid/Soulbeast versions of those same builds. Untamed for pvp/wvw is only good with that one build and that one build is only good due to the bloated teleport skill that functions on a 20s ICD. If that skill was to have the 50% reduction to ICD on strike removed and it had to be used with the natural 40s ICD, Untamed would quickly drop out of viability & favor.

As far as pve goes, Untamed has the one condi build that looks real cool in a benchmark video, but in actual application that build kind of sucks man. The rotation is absurdly difficult to get any real damage out of the build, and against creatures with actual mechanics that fight back, it's plainly impractical to stand still long enough to actually land that absurdly difficult DPS rotation. Its self-sustained defense is also bad. Realistically, Soulbeast both power & condi builds are far more practical in terms of DPS being easy to land in short intervals that don't require perfect uninterrupted phases, and in the area of self-sustained defenses.

I'm high Gold 3 and I don't use the Untamed Teleport except for in WvW but its more of an escape or chase utility.

In terms of PvE it is behind Soulbeast but it can hardly be compared. Soulbeast is dead out of water if you get interrupted during your rotation. No Learn to play required when you are forced to dodge after you pop "Sic Em", Untamed does not have this problem.

• Soulbeast can get up to 30k in PvE with self buffs but will drop under 5k if their rotation is ruined
  • Untamed can get up to 20k in PvE with self buffs and drops to about 10k if their rotation is ruined
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

17 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

I'm high Gold 3 and I don't use the Untamed Teleport except for in WvW but its more of an escape or chase utility.

In terms of PvE it is behind Soulbeast but it can hardly be compared. Soulbeast is dead out of water if you get interrupted during your rotation. No Learn to play required when you are forced to dodge after you pop "Sic Em", Untamed does not have this problem.

• Soulbeast can get up to 30k in PvE with self buffs but will drop under 5k if their rotation is ruined
  • Untamed can get up to 20k in PvE with self buffs and drops to about 10k if their rotation is ruined

It is more the opposite, soulbeast has lower self buffed dps, but easier/more consistent dmg output. Untamed is great at self buffing and soloing bosses, but very susceptible to anything that causes your cc to miss. In most actual grp encounters soulbeast will have better dmg.

(Not getting your burst messed up on slb is mostly a matter of encounter knowledge)

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

It is more the opposite, soulbeast has lower self buffed dps, but easier/more consistent dmg output. Untamed is great at self buffing and soloing bosses, but very susceptible to anything that causes your cc to miss. In most actual grp encounters soulbeast will have better dmg.

(Not getting your burst messed up on slb is mostly a matter of encounter knowledge)

Yeah perfect breakdown, again which is why I advocate you have a build for both.

My group Soulbeast build is a stance share version (not instanced content, I use Mesmer for that)

19 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

I think the point was not using it in sPvP is putting yourself at a direct handicap as there is nothing that can replace that mobility on Untamed. 

You don't have the speed a merged slb has, and you don't have the movement abilities they have either--so outside of weapon mobility (which is shared) you need to use Unnatural Traversal.  

25 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I think the point was not using it in sPvP is putting yourself at a direct handicap as there is nothing that can replace that mobility on Untamed. 

You don't have the speed a merged slb has, and you don't have the movement abilities they have either--so outside of weapon mobility (which is shared) you need to use Unnatural Traversal.  

In addition, Unnatural Traversal basically makes your burst connect every time, since you can precast GS2 and teleport as you swing due to UT being instant cast.

22 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

22 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

In addition, Unnatural Traversal basically makes your burst connect every time, since you can precast GS2 and teleport as you swing due to UT being instant cast.

I have trained myself not to use Greatsword since its to predictable. I use Shortbow and Axe/Warhorn.

When I fight other Rangers I can endlessly predict when they do something and can pretty much counter it until they die. Axe Ambush for example is amazing VS Greatsword. Even in WvW I don't use Greatsword or Longbow.

5 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

I have trained myself not to use Greatsword since its to predictable. I use Shortbow and Axe/Warhorn.

When I fight other Rangers I can endlessly predict when they do something and can pretty much counter it until they die. Axe Ambush for example is amazing VS Greatsword. Even in WvW I don't use Greatsword or Longbow.

I know you quoted me along with this, so just informing all of the counter points here are falling into 'weapon mobility'.  So you'd still be handicapped by not using UT on Untamed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I know you quoted me along with this, so just informing all of the counter points here are falling into 'weapon mobility'.  So you'd still be handicapped by not using UT on Untamed.  

Yes but only in WvW, for sPvP I don't need it.

• Confused 1