Elite Spec Equipment and Build template QoL

This has probably been addressed before, but as a casual player that has invested in all the Expansions I dont have time to learn and play a bunch of different classes. I find it a bit punishing that with the time I can invest into a single character the more thoroughly I learn that class the more I need to pay to manage its versatility. In my specific scenario the Engineer with its elite specs can be versatile class, the Scrapper in wvw and Holosmith in sPvP and T4 fractals. With the addition of EoD all core classes gained a third elite spec, but the standard amount of equipment and skill templates only 2. Seeing as you cannot access elite specs without buying the respective expansion, it would be a bit more reasonable as a specific character completely unlocks an elite spec it should be rewarded with its own Equipment and Build tab. another option could be to upon completeing an elite spec grant access to an achievement like a special collection that rewards an Equipment and Build tab. if that is not an option why cant the Equipment and Build tab expansions be for all characters. I understand how it could be seen as unfair to players that have purchased Equipment and Build tabs but you could further reward those players with an exclusive title with different tiers based on how many they bought. In my opinion it would be more beneficial to the casual players to have the ability to have access to a third Equipment and Build tab if they have fully unlocked all 3 elite specs for a single class. reward the players that have invested in the expansions and acknowledge the time investment it takes to unlock and gear 3 different elite specs for a single class.

Edited by Piromaniac.4681
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

• Piromaniac.4681 changed the title to Elite Spec Equipment and Build template QoL

There is zero reason for Arenanet to hand out equipment templates so long as there is storage for weapons and armor. The best you can hope for is permanently available value packs such that each one is 400 gems and they are frequently on sale for 20% off.
Build templates should never have been monetized but that's a separate topic.

I suspect expansions are a loss leader for Arenanet since they probably making far more money in terms of per manhour off 1600 gem mount skins, chairs of any kind, weapon skins, armor pieces charged by the piece rather than for a full set of 6, or 800 gem outfits. The "freebie" for owning an expansion is a shared inventory slot and level 80 boost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piromaniac.4681 said:

I understand how it could be seen as unfair to players that have purchased Equipment and Build tabs but you could further reward those players with an exclusive title

Ok, this has to be an attempt at satire, right? 😄 

Technically you don't need additional tabs to play more builds. You can still change traits and keep additional equipment in inventory to swap it manually.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

I said "Pay to Manage" not "Pay to Play" and keeping it in your inventory directly translates to having to upgrade and by more bag and bank slots. when you have 14-16 pieces of gear (16-18 if you include aquatic) for 1 set. casusal gamers most likely have 20 slot bags at best you almost take up 1 20 slot bag for 1 gear set, tell me how that a solution when inventory space is already extremely limited.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, Piromaniac.4681 said:

I said "Pay to Manage" not "Pay to Play" and keeping it in your inventory directly translates to having to upgrade and by more bag and bank slots. when you have 14-16 pieces of gear (16-18 if you include aquatic) for 1 set. casusal gamers most likely have 20 slot bags at best you almost take up 1 20 slot bag for 1 gear set, tell me how that a solution when inventory space is already extremely limited.

Get more inventory space?

• Confused 4

Most of my gold income goes into either build/equip templates or skins. As it stands now, I bought over 20 templates for anything from trying niche builds to 'I can't be bothered to remember switching 1 utility for this encounter so I'll buy a whole new build and equipment template for it''.

It would be amazing if they were earnable ingame... oh wait - they are. Gold to gems. Think of it as a build+equip combo for the cost of a griffon (assuming slightly above average exchange rate and no discounts, so worst case scenario).

Don't get me wrong, it's horribly monetised, overpriced, clumsy to use (though I managed to end up with a somewhat decent hotkey setup to help with that) and the fact that you get 3 elite specs with 2 equip templates and 3 build templates is pretty dumb in itself. But it's not impossible to get them purely by ingame grind - it's more of a long-term project.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just vote with your wallet/time. If you really hate it, you'll move to less predatory games. If you don't you'll cope with it or even give in.

Still, kinda sad some are so apologetic they pretend its fair the game's ask you for 50 more bucks for basic qol (or farming fulltime as a dayjob to get it for "free")

*cries in gw1 free, unlimited templates and fashion wars gold economy*

• Confused 2

Just do not buy any templates. What you want will never be available in the current system as it is. Do not try to make fixes to it - it's not fixable, because all the things you might want to fix are not bugs. They are intentionally designed features. Honestly, this is just a complete, terrible mess that should be razed to the ground, paved over and completely rebuilt from scratch. This time with the emphasis on it being an actual QoL, instead of sacrificing utility for monetization wherever possible, with players having to pay for being kittened over.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2