Scepter

Eddbopkins.2630

I think it's busted on catalyst, dragons tooth every 6 seconds? Yeah that's fun. The burning application is quite nutty too, especially when you take into account max might stacks. I normally run a build with crazy high cleanse but the passive condition application on that spec is so high it still wins. Rock Barrier is a tad excessive when you take into account all the other defenses.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I havnt played this game in awhile but the switch from ground targeting on dragons tooth and water trident and making shattering shards apply chill instead of vulnerability is a huge disappointment. I dont care about the buffs or nerfs to the rest of the skills, but the way you control stuff just moved into braindead territory and I feel an overwhelming sense of dread. I liked evasive arcana and rolling around making blast finishers, I liked being able to predict enemy movement and launch a ground targetted spell there, now its completely braindead, manual car (fun) to soulless automatic

edit: yeah I just played it and it feels awful. I hate everything about these changes and I dont think i want to play scepter ever again, or login. This change feels like if you removed clone on dodge from mesmers and just said "oh you auto generate clones every X seconds" or you removed blinks from all classes, or dagger 5 stealth on thief, I really want to emphasize how much I hate this

just delete scepter this sucks so much I'll only play staff or d/d i literally dont care if dragons tooth deals 10 million damage now or any other buffs to it, the new feel is awful

Edited by Ceeps.3185
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ceeps.3185 said:

I havnt played this game in awhile but the switch from ground targeting on dragons tooth and water trident and making shattering shards apply chill instead of vulnerability is a huge disappointment. I dont care about the buffs or nerfs to the rest of the skills, but the way you control stuff just moved into braindead territory and I feel an overwhelming sense of dread. I liked evasive arcana and rolling around making blast finishers, I liked being able to predict enemy movement and launch a ground targetted spell there, now its completely braindead, manual car (fun) to soulless automatic

edit: yeah I just played it and it feels awful. I hate everything about these changes and I dont think i want to play scepter ever again, or login. This change feels like if you removed clone on dodge from mesmers and just said "oh you auto generate clones every X seconds" or you removed blinks from all classes, or dagger 5 stealth on thief, I really want to emphasize how much I hate this

just delete scepter this sucks so much I'll only play staff or d/d i literally dont care if dragons tooth deals 10 million damage now or any other buffs to it, the new feel is awful

This is the only acceptable anti-scepter buffs take. Everyone else so far just cries that it's impossible to fight, this man just wants his 5-speed back 😹👏

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Aside of the typical "it's not op 'cause is my main"

Scepter ele is OP and need a nerf (I mean, Cata). Blindness, spike damage, unblockable damage, AoE, stun, blocks, more stun, etc. There are many ways to do it without touching the scepter by itself (so core-eles gonna still a thing). 

But yall know how this works; for nerf a spec they nerf the core game.

Edit: forgot to specify that I'm talking about PvP only. 

Edited by ZolracAtrox.2908
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, ZolracAtrox.2908 said:

Aside of the typical "it's not op 'cause is my main"

Scepter ele is OP and need a nerf (I mean, Cata). Blindness, spike damage, unblockable damage, AoE, stun, blocks, more stun, etc. There are many ways to do it without touching the scepter by itself (so core-eles gonna still a thing). 

But yall know how this works; for nerf a spec they nerf the core game.

You say that but weaver dose more dmg with scpter and cata dose more dmg with hammer. For wvw no one realy talking about the 11k leaps of faith from gurds hehe. If you have low armor and not an tankly build you should take high dmg that just a turth playing an ele class will tell you.

Think of sctper as an pure dps wepon for ele the only pure dps wepon at least for core ele every thing else is mixed. It should do high dmg and "magic" should be harder to block (sadly no real magic dmg in this game) so unblockable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

You say that but weaver dose more dmg with scpter and cata dose more dmg with hammer. For wvw no one realy talking about the 11k leaps of faith from gurds hehe. If you have low armor and not an tankly build you should take high dmg that just a turth playing an ele class will tell you.

Think of sctper as an pure dps wepon for ele the only pure dps wepon at least for core ele every thing else is mixed. It should do high dmg and "magic" should be harder to block (sadly no real magic dmg in this game) so unblockable.

Im not agaisnt glassy specs; but scepter weaver and catalyst clearly are not glassy in PvP (how I edited later; I was talking about PvP; in WvW im 100% totally agaisnt Staff nerfs). Weaver has more pure damage than Catalyst but catalyst has lots of blocks, aoe stun, etc.

If they wanna do those high damage, aoe, stun, blind it's ok; but then don't give them tons of shields, stab, defensive stun, immob and dodges as currently.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, ZolracAtrox.2908 said:

Im not agaisnt glassy specs; but scepter weaver and catalyst clearly are not glassy in PvP (how I edited later; I was talking about PvP; in WvW im 100% totally agaisnt Staff nerfs). Weaver has more pure damage than Catalyst but catalyst has lots of blocks, aoe stun, etc.

If they wanna do those high damage, aoe, stun, blind it's ok; but then don't give them tons of shields, stab, defensive stun, immob and dodges as currently.  

Weaver has more stuns skills on scpter then catalyst. Maybe your issues is catalyest having good def utitilys vs that ele has as core tempest and weaver? (what is anet deal with making there ranged favor dps class melee only eleit spec and giving them all def base utitilys!?)

Scepter is the only real ranged dps ele has right now staff not there and all of the other weapons are not ranged. What scpter is doing IS what ele should of been doing from the start.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jski.6180 said:

Weaver has more stuns skills on scpter then catalyst. Maybe your issues is catalyest having good def utitilys vs that ele has as core tempest and weaver? (what is anet deal with making there ranged favor dps class melee only eleit spec and giving them all def base utitilys!?)

Scepter is the only real ranged dps ele has right now staff not there and all of the other weapons are not ranged. What scpter is doing IS what ele should of been doing from the start.

And that's why I said they should nerf specs , not scepter itself. 

If the specs are OP 'cause a core weapon has too much synergi, nerf the synergi, not the core weapon. Core should only be nerfed if is the core class that's overperforming

Edited by ZolracAtrox.2908

Just now, ZolracAtrox.2908 said:

And that's why I said they should nerf specs, not scepter itself

Catalyses in no way is broken as an class though. This is what an mages looks like and we are "ok" with other classes playing this way for years now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

Catalyses in no way is broken as an class though. This is what an mages looks like and we are "ok" with other classes playing this way for years now.

One thing is a class themed skill base and another is overshadow the rest of specs. I mean, gn holosmith is ok in his themed playstyle, but stills broken and should be nerfed, along with heal tempest, defense spellbreaker, shiro vindi, untamed, etc. And im talking about numbers, not about destroy their structure.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jski.6180 said:

It isn't a pure dps weapon, tho. Still has baked in defenses in form of healing (water trident), barrier (rock barrier), multiple blinds, vigor, etc.

The only difference to other weapons is that it is a (mostly) selfish weapon, while other weapons usually include group support. But calling it a pure dps weapon is a stretch.

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

It isn't a pure dps weapon, tho. Still has baked in defenses in form of healing (water trident), barrier (rock barrier), multiple blinds, vigor, etc.

The only difference to other weapons is that it is a (mostly) selfish weapon, while other weapons usually include group support. But calling it a pure dps weapon is a stretch.

It is not you could point out any cc soft or not is also a type of def and we see on what is called "dps" wepon on other classes. Scepter is a pure dps wepon for the ele class.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jski.6180 said:

It is not you could point out any cc soft or not is also a type of def and we see on what is called "dps" wepon on other classes. Scepter is a pure dps wepon for the ele class.

Fine, let's ignore the soft and hard CC. Still has a self heal, barrier and bonus toughness in the kit. How many pure dps weapons do you know from other classes which have this kind of defense?

2 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Fine, let's ignore the soft and hard CC. Still has a self heal, barrier and bonus toughness in the kit. How many pure dps weapons do you know from other classes which have this kind of defense?

I am saying dont ignore it all weapons in gw2 have some level of def build in even an leap can be seen as def. But out of all of eles weapons scepter has no support at all for the group it is uniquest in that way and there by an pure dps wepon.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

I am saying dont ignore it all weapons in gw2 have some level of def build in even an leap can be seen as def. But out of all of eles weapons scepter has no support at all for the group it is uniquest in that way and there by an pure dps wepon.

Pure dps weapon implies that a weapon basically does nothing else but damage... hence the word pure.

So you are saying "this weapon does nothing but damage! except these mechanics which give the weapon defense, but excluding that, it does nothing but damage, so I stand to the point that it does nothing but damage!"

This seems contradictory. As said, if you would have called it the most selfish weapon of the elementalist, that I would agree with since it is missing supportive qualities except some blinds to help allies avoid damage. But calling this a pure dps weapon doesn't make sense.

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Pure dps weapon implies that a weapon basically does nothing else but damage... hence the word pure.

So you are saying "this weapon does nothing but damage! except these mechanics which give the weapon defense, but excluding that, it does nothing but damage, so I stand to the point that it does nothing but damage!"

This seems contradictory. As said, if you would have called it the most selfish weapon of the elementalist, that I would agree with since it is missing supportive qualities except some blinds to help allies avoid damage. But calling this a pure dps weapon doesn't make sense.

Its is out side and different from all other ele weapons so yes. In a game like GW2 that means it IS an pure dps wepon.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

Its is out side and different from all other ele weapons so yes. In a game like GW2 that means it IS an pure dps wepon.

Dude, here is a definition of the word pure:

"Having a homogeneous or uniform composition; not mixed."

A weapon with defensive mechanics mixed into it's kit is by definition not a pure dps weapon. This just makes no sense. Scepter is the most damage oriented weapon elementalist has, that is true. But elementalist currently has no pure dps weapon, they all have defensive mechanics baked in.

Want to see an example of a pure dps weapon? Warrior axe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Dude, here is a definition of the word pure:

"Having a homogeneous or uniform composition; not mixed."

A weapon with defensive mechanics mixed into it's kit is by definition not a pure dps weapon. This just makes no sense. Scepter is the most damage oriented weapon elementalist has, that is true. But elementalist currently has no pure dps weapon, they all have defensive mechanics baked in.

Want to see an example of a pure dps weapon? Warrior axe.

And in a game like GW2 any skill that takes you out of getting hit form some one or getting hit hard is an mean of def its out right silly not to call that an def effect build into all weapons and skill sets that IS what you would call a pure dps wepon in gw2. Scpter is an pure dps wepon for the ele and gw2 set of skills.

Warrior axe has an leap and an cripal these are def skill used in the right context. I would still call it an pure dps wepon BUT it has some means of def.

I mean lesson to your self your trying to void out all means of calling an dps aimed wepon maybe dps aimed classes because they have some means of healing and def for them self. That means there are NO pure dps classes in gw2 because they all have some means of self healing. Its a bad fath argument.

Scpter on ele has no support skills they where removed for more dps. There are no other core wepon like this for the ele class and from the same point of the ele class who ALWAYS gets healing and def from water atument and earth atuments even if they main aimed is not that can no longer be called an pure dps class in any forgment is just plan silly. It is different from all other core weapons and it makes up for the lost (heck it dose not even have an aura generation or transmutation like the other core weapons) is to call it an pure dps wepon.

Edited by Jski.6180
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/21/2022 at 8:18 AM, Ragnarox.9601 said:

Scepter now is just too much, they need to tone it down, its annoying. 

Btw I play ele and they need to balance it better. 

Lots of oneshot ele builds in pvp, we dont need that.

I doubt you play ele with that comment. There are no oneshot ele builds. Why is it only a problem when it's ele? What about immob spam druids, stealth spam theives, lolbladesworns and so many more. Why is it not ok for when an ele weapon or build brought to a level alongside other classes?

This puts it better than I could. 

Edited by Serephen.3420
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Scepter itself has no hard cc...what are you talking about? A lot of classes get things like that without caring which weapon they use. A lot of glass classes also have more natural defences than glass ele would as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/27/2022 at 4:43 AM, SleepyBat.9034 said:

I think it's busted on catalyst, dragons tooth every 6 seconds? Yeah that's fun. The burning application is quite nutty too, especially when you take into account max might stacks. I normally run a build with crazy high cleanse but the passive condition application on that spec is so high it still wins. Rock Barrier is a tad excessive when you take into account all the other defenses.

Dragon's tooth, a skill you need to dodge like so many others in the game. For example unrelenting assault on rev.

• Confused 2

Let's put the definitional debate aside. The intent of the statement appears to be that scepter is the one core ele weapon that doesn't have a significant portion of its power budget allocated to support. It's not technically 'pure' because some of the skills do have defence, sustain, and/or control aspects, but these are intended for keeping the user alive or to help set enemies up for the kill. Not many weapons have literally nothing but damage in their bar, and elementalist does have the lowest base defensive stats after all.

A semantic debate has little bearing on what, I think, is the point being made - that sceptre is the natural choice out of the core lineup for the pure DPS role, and therefore should actually be decent in that role.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Serephen.3420 said:

I doubt you play ele with that comment. There are no oneshot ele builds. Why is it only a problem when it's ele? What about immob spam druids, stealth spam theives, lolbladesworns and so many more. Why is it not ok for when an ele weapon or build brought to a level alongside other classes?

This puts it better than I could. 

Ah yes, the tipical elementalist victimhood video "only bad when ele..." . Don't worry; for me all that you've mentioned should be nerf; along with catalyst's scepter sinergy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1