Please fix disparity of leather availability compared to other base crafting mats.

McWelp.1723

6 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I'm not convinced that comparing leather to wood and metal is a valid comparison.

How is it any different? It is base crafting material and used in similar quantities as other base mats.

Its (hardened leather) just bit of an ordeal to get and costs 4x compared to other base mats.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Actually it looks like leather is overall too cheap these days for that. There is still a profit to be made from VM but considering the karma cost for converting you might actually be losing gold in the form opportunity cost by doing the conversion.

What else is there to do with karma? Honest question, because I have so much that I can barely spend it all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, McWelp.1723 said:

If it was 'fixed' T6 leather price would be similar to ore/wood so their workarounds very much are not working that well. Other crafters do not need to expand their content for base mats.

So what you really want is a passive way to obtain leather which would end up tanking the cost?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

One  adjustment I would make it giving a chance for leather to be salvaged from bows and maybe a small chance from all armor weights since it is also consumed when crafting all armor weights.

logs
- used in weapons
- salvaged from weapons

cloths
- used in armor
- salvaged from light armor

ores
- used in weapons and armor
- salvaged from weapons and heavy armor

leather
- used in weapons and armor
- salvaged from medium armor

That is what they should have done instead of that stupid horse pasture.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Or things can be adjusted to increase the cost of other base mats.

Yeah, that would work too..

I think base issue is that leather can only be salvaged/looted from boxes, and cannot be gathered. Other base mats have the salvage option too and on top of that you can go and just plug them out of the ground, making them lot easier to obtain..

• Confused 2

49 minutes ago, McWelp.1723 said:

Yeah, that would work too..

I think base issue is that leather can only be salvaged/looted from boxes, and cannot be gathered. Other base mats have the salvage option too and on top of that you can go and just plug them out of the ground, making them lot easier to obtain..

Cloth?

Perhaps another way to look into the differences is to look at the demand disparities.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Cloth?

Perhaps another way to look into the differences is to look at the demand disparities.

Availability of cloth does not seem to be the issue. Gossamer scrap costs around 50c in trading post.  Funny thing about cloth is that T1 is more valuable than gossamer (around 70c)

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, McWelp.1723 said:

Availability of cloth does not seem to be the issue. Gossamer scrap costs around 50c in trading post.  Funny thing about cloth is that T1 is more valuable than gossamer (around 70c)

You should look at the demand disparities between the four material types

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, RaVeN.1790 said:

I just have the jade bot scavenger protocol on as well and get often bags of leather from kills

What is the drop rate for hardened leather on it?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scavenger_Bag:_Leather

Drop rate on hardened leather seems pretty horrible. But its still free leather.

Edited by McWelp.1723
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

I would rather that crafting materials would all increase in price rather than that the few worth thinking, "Oh, nice, I got X." come down in price.  The game feels incredibly unrewarding as it is, and making more mats meh would make that issue more pronounced.

They could do the mystic forge events periodically to selectively push up the price for whatever. A bit heavy handed but as a temporary event there is also a low risk of causing long term issues.

• Like 2

If you go onto gw2spidy, or any site that aggregates TP data, you'll see that for the first 3 years of the game, hardened leather was basically vendor trash.  It wasn't until the release of HoT that the prices skyrocketed (specifically the first half of 2016).  So what could have caused this you may ask?

1. To sync armor crafting with weapon crafting, and to help maintain the value of leather, masterwork, rare, and exotic inscriptions will now be crafted with patches made from leather and cloth.
  2. Some minor tweaks have been made to salvage tables to normalize output across all levels, and a small reduction has been made on tier 5 metal, leather, and wood, as well as a reduction on tier 6 leather and cloth.
  3. Refining hardened leather now results in 3 hardened leather sections instead of 2.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2015-10-23#Items

I'm not sure what caused the drop during summer of 2017.  It could have been the mass engi farming of Lake Doric, the advanced leather rack, perceived impact of trade caches from PoF, and so on.

Looking at the total cost for exotic armor sets, you can see the profound impact that those changes had:

Berserker's Light Armor (198 leather and 84 cloth)

Berserker's Medium Armor (234 leather and 60 cloth)

Berserker's Heavy Armor (180 leather, 62 cloth, and 32 ore)

x6 Berkerker's Intricate Gossamer Insignia (180 leather and 48 cloth)

Just look at the sheer amount of leather needed with most of it tied to the insignias.  Perhaps revisiting the changes made with the release of HoT would be more beneficial than simply increasing the sources.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 4