How do you chose spirit shards for your lvl up rewards?

Varian.1435

Basically, if it's not actually progressing a Mastery, it's going towards Spirit Shards. 

Say you're in Central Tyria, and you have a mastery path selected, but you don't have enough Central Tyrian Mastery Points to progress. If your exp bar is full, any further exp will go towards a Spirit Shard. You just won't be able to track it. 

If you're in Central Tyria and you've completed a mastery path without selecting another, or you've completed all Central Tyrian masteries, then it will show the Spirit Shard progress bar. If you still have masteries to work on, and you select one, it'll progress that mastery until full, then progress towards a Spirit Shard. There's no way to "un-select" a mastery path for a given region, as far as I know.

It's not the most intuitive at times, but tl;dr it will never go to waste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Varian.1435 said:

Honestly im not sure if im getting them. i have 681 that i assumed i got the last few times i played. I haven't seen a popup about getting them though

You won't get a popup for them, it would just be added to the "item carousel" on the right hand side of the screen when you receive it, and then it'll disappear. It goes direct to your wallet, so you won't see it in your inventory either.

It's VERY easy to miss that you've actually received one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stadsport.8714 said:

Basically, if it's not actually progressing a Mastery, it's going towards Spirit Shards. 

Say you're in Central Tyria, and you have a mastery path selected, but you don't have enough Central Tyrian Mastery Points to progress. If your exp bar is full, any further exp will go towards a Spirit Shard. You just won't be able to track it. 

If you're in Central Tyria and you've completed a mastery path without selecting another, or you've completed all Central Tyrian masteries, then it will show the Spirit Shard progress bar. If you still have masteries to work on, and you select one, it'll progress that mastery until full, then progress towards a Spirit Shard. There's no way to "un-select" a mastery path for a given region, as far as I know.

It's not the most intuitive at times, but tl;dr it will never go to waste. 

Afaik it doesn't matter, if you select a path or not, all open paths will be filled befor the XP goes into spirit shards, the selected path  just has priority over the others.

The spirit shard-bar is hidded in the background till all masteries of the region are completed (excluding the hidden mastery-tracks)

Go to gw2efficiency, make an account there, go to the STATS page, select spirit shards and see at what rate you have been acquiring them.

As mentioned by others, given there is no pop-up and special notification, you likely missed when a level up provided you with a spirit shard.

• Thanks 1