What stops you from playing gw2/wvw for longer durations in a week

Xenesis.6389

What stops you from playing gw2/wvw for longer durations in a week  

206 members have voted

1. 1. On your typical average week of wvw, what is the thing that would affect you to play less hours a week.

• Real life responsibilities - family, job, injury, holidays etc
    • No friends playing
    • No guild or guild on break
    • Class balance - my favorite class doesn't seem viable in a given area
    • Class balance - my class seems fine, other classes seem overpowered to face
    • Class balance - anet patch screwed up my spec
    • Maguuma
    • Facing any stacked blob server
    • Too many boon balls encounters
    • Not enough boon balls encounters
    • Not enough roaming encounters
    • Thieves
    • Too much solo pvp, or pvp in general
    • I don't like my server
    • I don't like my link server
    • We don't have a link server
    • My favorite commander is not playing
    • My favorite guild is not playing
    • World Restructuring beta week
    • Not enough action in my time zone

10 hours ago, Ralith Arkane.8371 said:

As the leader of a YB guild paired with Mag, I have been bored out of my skull the last 5 weeks. There is nothing fun about demoralizing the enemy in a pvp game mode in 10 year old game. The rest of the WvW community wants to run with their well-established guilds, have fights, and generally enjoy the game mode. Coming online during NA primetime is pointless for my group and everyone else stuck in this pairing because there is nothing to do. We get maybe one fight per hour and it's against the singular giant zerg the other server has formed up. I'm not leaving the server I've been on for 10 years because of an 8-week pairing, so that is out of the question. The real issue here is 1) why the heck is Maguuma open for transfers when they are dominating point-wise (regardless of population/activity) and 2) there is only ONE guild on Maguuma that actually enjoys organized fights (CTH). Everyone else is in the auto-attacks-from-range-only alliance guild that Maguuma formed when alliance betas started and there is no organized tag or fighting from them at all. It's really disappointing that the rest of the WvW community's culture is being ignored for the sake of one server, and there is no acknowledgement of that from anyone with any say in how the game mode is developed or managed. I'm not sure what it will take, but it's really disappointing that so many communities and guilds based around this game mode are forced to put their main (and sometimes sole) activity on hold for 1 week (or 8 weeks, in a paired server's case) so they can either avoid being matched up against Mag the following week or not lose active players due to boredom.

When the very, very, very first announcement for Alliances was launched, you should have seen it.  Guilds were lined up to fight each other in the Obsidian Sanctum Arena.  To pair off.  To see which guilds would "Merge" to create a super sized alliance.  They were all sizing each other up.  There were even Guild Leaders who were holding "Interviews" of which guilds that they would ally with when and if Alliances did launch.  However, alliances went on hold, the GvG came to a stop after several months, and things became tedious for many guilds.  Capture the flag no longer interested many commanders and guilds, and it all became one big Fight Club.  I highly doubt Alliances is really going to fix anything.  The problem will arise that people want to be part of the 'winning team' and they will get tired of losing all the time.  L2P mockery from opposing forces doesn't help, or from members of your own team.  Personally, I don't know why Maguuma is so hellbent on Spawn camping.  Jade Quarry learned that mistake in the first 2 to 3 years after GW2 launch.  We demoralized a lot of guilds and teams, and servers, by spawn camping.  We learned that we overfished the pond, to the point, that, no fish were coming back and replenishing.  Silently, without a SINGLE word, we stopped spawn camping.  We took the location and slowly moved on.  From time to time, we had relapses where we would spawn camp, which I got tired of participating in, because I knew that basically caused people to disappear at weeks at a time, and then we'd have nothing to fight.  NO rewards.  No way to do anything except sit on our hands with nothing to fight.  You spawn camp, you're doing nothing but shooting your team in the foot. Quite a few have already called it a month.  They're not going to hit their head against your team, if we're outmanned, outgunned, and outclassed, and then basically deal with no bodies, because our server is closed.  I don't like going against a team 15 times, getting our butt handed to us 15 times, and pretending that #16 is going to be any different.  That's when I call out my team, to head out the door for the rest of the night, because it's not worth it.  I had to work extra hard just to get PARTICIPATION this week to get chests.  You don't get participation for getting smited, and having every location spawn camped by 8 to 15 gankers waiting to kill something, and the Guilds only showing up two or three times during the week.  These last five days have been hell.  We don't have the will to win, because nobody cares about the score anymore.  We don't have the current metabuilds, because nobody has the gold to get legendary to change their builds on a whim.  Its just not fun.  You got the bodies, and we got gumption, but gumption doesn't equate to victory of any sort.  If this is what we're going to do for the next 4 to 8 weeks, I don't want any part of it.  Spawn camp till your hearts desire, I don't feel like feeding you "bags".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KeyOrion.9506 said:

When the very, very, very first announcement for Alliances was launched, you should have seen it.  Guilds were lined up to fight each other in the Obsidian Sanctum Arena.  To pair off.  To see which guilds would "Merge" to create a super sized alliance.  They were all sizing each other up.  There were even Guild Leaders who were holding "Interviews" of which guilds that they would ally with when and if Alliances did launch.  However, alliances went on hold, the GvG came to a stop after several months, and things became tedious for many guilds.  Capture the flag no longer interested many commanders and guilds, and it all became one big Fight Club.  I highly doubt Alliances is really going to fix anything.  The problem will arise that people want to be part of the 'winning team' and they will get tired of losing all the time.  L2P mockery from opposing forces doesn't help, or from members of your own team.  Personally, I don't know why Maguuma is so hellbent on Spawn camping.  Jade Quarry learned that mistake in the first 2 to 3 years after GW2 launch.  We demoralized a lot of guilds and teams, and servers, by spawn camping.  We learned that we overfished the pond, to the point, that, no fish were coming back and replenishing.  Silently, without a SINGLE word, we stopped spawn camping.  We took the location and slowly moved on.  From time to time, we had relapses where we would spawn camp, which I got tired of participating in, because I knew that basically caused people to disappear at weeks at a time, and then we'd have nothing to fight.  NO rewards.  No way to do anything except sit on our hands with nothing to fight.  You spawn camp, you're doing nothing but shooting your team in the foot. Quite a few have already called it a month.  They're not going to hit their head against your team, if we're outmanned, outgunned, and outclassed, and then basically deal with no bodies, because our server is closed.  I don't like going against a team 15 times, getting our butt handed to us 15 times, and pretending that #16 is going to be any different.  That's when I call out my team, to head out the door for the rest of the night, because it's not worth it.  I had to work extra hard just to get PARTICIPATION this week to get chests.  You don't get participation for getting smited, and having every location spawn camped by 8 to 15 gankers waiting to kill something, and the Guilds only showing up two or three times during the week.  These last five days have been hell.  We don't have the will to win, because nobody cares about the score anymore.  We don't have the current metabuilds, because nobody has the gold to get legendary to change their builds on a whim.  Its just not fun.  You got the bodies, and we got gumption, but gumption doesn't equate to victory of any sort.  If this is what we're going to do for the next 4 to 8 weeks, I don't want any part of it.  Spawn camp till your hearts desire, I don't feel like feeding you "bags".

I agree with everything you've said with one small exception; our guild has a standing rule never to spawn camp, but when the opportunity arose last night for us (in fact fighting alongside JQ; we're on HoD currently linked with SoS) to spawn camp Mag, we took advantage. But it also wasn't a situation where we were spawn camping a few players. We had about 18 players, I'd guess JQ had at least 25, and we were spawn camping probably 30-40 Mag/YB players (incl. a lot of players running the Magswag guild tag so definitely wasn't just YB guilds/players). Based on the amount of siege thrown when we were finally overrun, I'd guess Mag didn't seem to enjoy it very much lol.

In fact our guild has been coordinating this week with a JQ guild against Mag with moderate success (sometimes Mag still outnumbers both of us combined).  Xenesis would be proud!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps my reply isn't exactly what you're looking for (since it didn't exist as an option in the poll), but I'll post it anyway.

When I returned to the game after a long absence and decided to start playing WvW (since it's more fun than normal PvP), my first session and battle was me being killed by one enemy player while 2-3 people on my team were just watching and jumping around on their mounts while typing "xD" (which obviously ruined my impression of the game-mode). After that the only times I've entered WvW again was to quickly do one of the dailies.

I got bored this week with the matchup.  Went into Obsidian Sanctum and helped couple newbies on our server through the JP.  Day two was still bored, so went back in, actually saw a Maguuma in there.  Saw their ranked title was low, figured must be a WvW newbie, showed him the path.  They were stuck in the dark room.  Bout the only time I really spared another player in that JP, mostly because it's still a combat zone, and every once in a while a ganker messes with the new players in that JP, and I hate that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grand Archon Phoenix.2801 said:

Removing server link from maguuma does not solve the problem, but it is a reasonable compromise (there are no solutions) that alleviates the current immediate problems, the other possibly being that Maguuma has multiple devs/employees playing on that server.

Devs have no loyalty to a server. Not seen one on Mag for a long while. Devs can server hop at will.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Migraine.5810 said:

Perhaps my reply isn't exactly what you're looking for (since it didn't exist as an option in the poll), but I'll post it anyway.

When I returned to the game after a long absence and decided to start playing WvW (since it's more fun than normal PvP), my first session and battle was me being killed by one enemy player while 2-3 people on my team were just watching and jumping around on their mounts while typing "xD" (which obviously ruined my impression of the game-mode). After that the only times I've entered WvW again was to quickly do one of the dailies.

Maybe you ran into the dueling area?

There's a lot of cross server groups these days too.

Don't take that as a norm for wvw, just avoid those situations if you can, it's not that hard to figure out sometimes with some observation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Maybe you ran into the dueling area?

There's a lot of cross server groups these days too.

Don't take that as a norm for wvw, just avoid those situations if you can, it's not that hard to figure out sometimes with some observation.

People were typing about attacking some enemy castle, and that's where I went, so I don't think so. I got the impression they were friends and tricked people to go there so that their friend on the other team could kill weaker players or something. I don't know if they get something out of it, loot-wise, or if it's just to mess with others.
I'm not upset that I died, it's rather that my first impression of WvW after 8 years of being away from the game is this kind of thing, instead of the team effort I expected.

I also tried the 5 vs 5 normal pvp, and in the first game I joined someone was spamming insults because we were losing. I mean these kind of first impressions tend to stay with one...

I've now been playing for roughly 1 month and I haven't set my foot in any more WvW/PvP (except getting an occasional daily in WvW, like the one where you simply buy something for badges). I saw that some people complained about not many wanting to do WvW/PvP, and while I can't speak for why others don't want to WvW/PvP, I decided to share my own reason in this thread. Maybe someone else had a similar experience, where other players and not necessarily the game itself took the fun out of it.

Maybe it's like you say, I was simply super unlucky and got some jerks in my first game... But after experiencing the same thing in 5vs5 and also in my first dungeon (skip cutscene or kick-type of reactions) I started to think that there lots of rude players around, not how I remembered this game from 8 years before.

Sorry for the wall of text!

Edited by Migraine.5810

7 hours ago, Migraine.5810 said:

People were typing about attacking some enemy castle, and that's where I went, so I don't think so. I got the impression they were friends and tricked people to go there so that their friend on the other team could kill weaker players or something. I don't know if they get something out of it, loot-wise, or if it's just to mess with others.
I'm not upset that I died, it's rather that my first impression of WvW after 8 years of being away from the game is this kind of thing, instead of the team effort I expected.

I also tried the 5 vs 5 normal pvp, and in the first game I joined someone was spamming insults because we were losing. I mean these kind of first impressions tend to stay with one...

I've now been playing for roughly 1 month and I haven't set my foot in any more WvW/PvP (except getting an occasional daily in WvW, like the one where you simply buy something for badges). I saw that some people complained about not many wanting to do WvW/PvP, and while I can't speak for why others don't want to WvW/PvP, I decided to share my own reason in this thread. Maybe someone else had a similar experience, where other players and not necessarily the game itself took the fun out of it.

Maybe it's like you say, I was simply super unlucky and got some jerks in my first game... But after experiencing the same thing in 5vs5 and also in my first dungeon (skip cutscene or kick-type of reactions) I started to think that there lots of rude players around, not how I remembered this game from 8 years before.

Sorry for the wall of text!

It's ok. It's sad your first experience was that, giving you a bad impression that ruined for you. But, pvp tends to be toxic, no matter which game you play it in, you do have to grow a little thick skin and ignore those parts and move on. The good parts of it come from when you reach the parts you enjoy, and there's many different parts to wvw to enjoy, or playing with your friends or guilds in it.

I ran into a similar situation many years ago, some guild on the enemy side had a member on our server, that member would make scout calls to the southern camps on the borderland, to which our roamers would respond, but what greeted them was a group of that guild that came to gank them. This happened like three times, and well my havoc guild decided to respond to the next call, only it was the enemy who got surprised cause we showed up with even numbers, we ran those dogs down from se camp all the way up through hills canyon killing every last one of them.

Right now people are mad at mag for the way they play, but there's other groups that do the same thing in small scale on other servers, those players tend to only engage in numbers smaller than them, the gankers, for the most part you can avoid them and probably should, they never want to fight at a disadvantage, so don't get lured into their traps. To me they are the lowest, garbage players of the pvp, best to just avoid them and never give them a fight.

And yeah this game is old enough that there's friends on cross servers, so again some observation beforehand can help you avoid those situations, look at the guild tags too. Like if you saw them not engaging but screwing around on their mounts, then don't engage until you see one of them does, avoid the dueling areas, the castle SMC has those areas, more specific the east and west sides of it, and sometimes the south sides depending who owns it. Also for the big objectives it might be wise to enter them and observe whatever the call it on the walls first, not directly from the ground, people tend to make vague or bad calls a lot of times, so assess situations yourself first before taking action. These are all just little things to learn from experience, and it helps you get better at surviving situations.

I hope you give wvw another chance if it is something you can enjoy, I love every area of it, from roaming right up to the massive fights, but ganking is also the one area I hate being involved in, so I tend to avoid it, both sides of its coin, for the most part.

GLHF.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Clearly this means Anet favors TC!  It's a conspiracy!  TC will open up next week!  I bet TC will win their match too!

I was about to say, we pulled ahead of BG last night by a couple points, but now looks like overnight we tanked, BG is ahead by 6 points now. Maybe he transferred to BG, Open BG soon 🤭

• Like 1

Just now, Xenesis.6389 said:

I was about to say, we pulled ahead of BG last night by a couple points, but now looks like overnight we tanked, BG is ahead by 6 points now. Maybe he transferred to BG, Open BG soon 🤭

Don't underestimate the power of a BG tank.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KeyOrion.9506 said:

Personally, I don't know why Maguuma is so hellbent on Spawn camping.  Jade Quarry learned that mistake in the first 2 to 3 years after GW2 launch.  We demoralized a lot of guilds and teams, and servers, by spawn camping.  We learned that we overfished the pond, to the point, that, no fish were coming back and replenishing.  Silently, without a SINGLE word, we stopped spawn camping.  

Have you ever thought about how demoralized players are for not playing a meta build? The ones you kicked from squad because their build doesn't conform to your worldview of how GW2 WvW should be played?

Maguuma is the refuge of the non-meta conformists of which I am one, we spawncamp because it's about sending a message, why do you think there's dozens upon dozens of us at your spawn every single day every single hour? Spite is a very powerful motivator I can tell you that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I see it as Mag just getting back at the blobbers/ppters that did the same thing taking over maps, for years mind you, to everyone else. Now those same servers complain about it happening to them, it's just hilarious. 🤭

Sure spawn camping is not good for content, demoralizing especially to the casuals and pve'rs, a lot of guilds agreed to that a long time ago, but, you're not dealing with that with mag, just the spiteful mag cloud that has players that have been looked down on for years. 🤷‍♂️

In the end, do unto others as you would have them do unto you... that does also includes you Mag. 🙂

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, BlueFlame.8673 said:

Have you ever thought about how demoralized players are for not playing a meta build? The ones you kicked from squad because their build doesn't conform to your worldview of how GW2 WvW should be played?

Maguuma is the refuge of the non-meta conformists of which I am one, we spawncamp because it's about sending a message, why do you think there's dozens upon dozens of us at your spawn every single day every single hour? Spite is a very powerful motivator I can tell you that. 

It has nothing to do with meta build vs non meta build on mag, it's how the cloud positions and reacts to pushes that makes it effective.  You are a lot more effective in it running meta DPS builds than roaming  builds.  Plus there is a good number of skilled players who will adjust how ballsy they are depending on the names around them.

If a non meta build shows up in our raid (on mag) they get shoved in group 1 with the people not in comms.  If too much rally baiting is happening, then group 1 gets the boot.  So we don't waste IoLs and risky rezzes on people not respecting our play time.  Keep in mind we don't play in the cloud, as EBG is near impossible to get in as a guild when other servers decide to log in

Edited by neven.3785
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, BlueFlame.8673 said:

Where is zastari?  We need him back to speak for Maguuma.  What did you do with him?

Lack of incentive ruins everything in WvW.

Imagine if the game paid each player 200 gold in prize money each week for winning a matchup (assume minimum silver participation achieved). Second prize is 50g. Third prize is you're fired 0g. There would be complaints. There would be rage. There would be even more threads whining about specific servers. There would be wild economic inflation. There would be PvE-ers doing the bare minimum to collect a paycheck. There would be all of that and more, but you know what?

Players would kittening try.

* yes, population balance is a thing, but .. uh .. we're getting Alliances any year now, right?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/19/2022 at 10:52 AM, Xenesis.6389 said:

On your typical average week of wvw, what is the thing that would affect you to play less hours a week.

Multiple choice will screw this up, but oh well just a fun poll, let's see what ends up being number one. 🤭

Honestly, there is so much to do in game that I want to do (gotta finish my 2nd raid leg set and start my third, plus I have 3 more leg weapons on my list). That wasn't a option though?

Also real life is busy lol... If I sit down to WvW I will WvW for hours. I don't care if it is Magumma or the even if it is the top server that my team is against. I will sweat it out. Besides how do you grow if not facing harder odds?

13 minutes ago, ZeroTheRuler.7415 said:

Honestly, there is so much to do in game that I want to do (gotta finish my 2nd raid leg set and start my third, plus I have 3 more leg weapons on my list). That wasn't a option though?

Because the question is what STOPS you from playing, not what motivates you. 🙂

P.S I had another poll that was the reverse of this 

Edited by Xenesis.6389

17 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Because the question is what STOPS you from playing, not what motivates you. 🙂

P.S I had another poll that was the reverse of this 

XD, but other content does stop me from playing WvW :P. Gold per hour WvW is not really efficient so my motivation in WvW is purely about having fun and also gotta farm those Legendary Insights in raids. Also going through meta trains or strikes etc. to mix it up.

Maybe another possible option for people stopping might have been that they have done all of the good reward tracks or gold/hour. I know that at the start my original motivation for WvW was to farm reward tracks for magic clovers.

Edited by ZeroTheRuler.7415

Just now, ZeroTheRuler.7415 said:

XD, but other content does stop me from playing WvW :P. Gold per hour WvW is not really efficient so my motivation in WvW is purely about having fun and also gotta farm those Legendary Insights in raids. Also going through meta trains or strikes etc. to mix it up.

Maybe another possible option could have been the rewards after you have gone over all of the good reward tracks? At the start my original motivation for WvW was to farm reward tracks for magic clovers.

Lack of rewards would have been an appropriate option I guess, but I see that always getting a vote anyways given that everyone knows wvw is least rewarding.

• Like 1