Still Waiting for Zojja

Mic.1897

Zojja was just ok imo, but I would like to see her again mostly because it's been so long and I want to see how they explain her absence. I really liked Ankka and feel like we need more interesting asura characters. Zojja could probably become that because whatever she has been doing off screen this whole time has probably developed her in an interesting way, hypothetically.

To be fair, at this point I don't even know if I want Zojja to come back. Anet has a terrible track-record of continuing loose plot threats: Lazarus, Joko, Magdaer, IBS finale, Mai Trin, Devona....

To me, it seems like the writers really wanna do new and shiny stuff, but keep having to go back to old stuff, probably written by different people, because that stuff isn't resolved. And what comes from a lack of motivation? You try to get it over with quickly. Whole EOD felt like both of that combined: Getting rid of the dragon storyline (although I fully agree that it went on for way too long), and diving into yet another fantasy-void-theme storyline.

To be, the concept of a Void is very similar to Godwins law: The longer the story goes on, the more likely it's gonna get a Void-treatment.

Edited by Imba.9451
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 2:56 PM, Imba.9451 said:

To be, the concept of a Void is very similar to Godwins law: The longer the story goes on, the more likely it's gonna get a Void-treatment.

Lol

I think there's something like that for zombies, except we started out with them in Core.

On 2/7/2023 at 2:56 PM, Imba.9451 said:

To be fair, at this point I don't even know if I want Zojja to come back. Anet has a terrible track-record of continuing loose plot threats: Lazarus, Joko, Magdaer, IBS finale, Mai Trin, Devona....

I rather like Mai Trin and Devona.

IBS finale was less a "let's get it over and done with" and more "well, the suits in charge told us to drop this plot we were working on to make a money seller expansion". So it wasn't really a continuing narrative issue, so much as an issue of businessmen trying to dictate entertainment. And that never works well.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 2/21/2023 at 11:40 PM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

I rather like Mai Trin and Devona.

IBS finale was less a "let's get it over and done with" and more "well, the suits in charge told us to drop this plot we were working on to make a money seller expansion". So it wasn't really a continuing narrative issue, so much as an issue of businessmen trying to dictate entertainment. And that never works well.

I could get behind Devona, but Mai Trin?

She was brought back for about 3 hours, before having a rushed redemption and getting killed off. And for that we now have to settle with a very bored "Horrik. Unleach the cannons. If you please. Whatever." in fractals.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 2/23/2023 at 5:09 PM, Imba.9451 said:

I could get behind Devona, but Mai Trin?

She was brought back for about 3 hours, before having a rushed redemption and getting killed off. And for that we now have to settle with a very bored "Horrik. Unleach the cannons. If you please. Whatever." in fractals.

The redone audio of Mai Trin in all the LWS1 content was very, very dissatisfying, but I consider that and Mai Trin in EoD to be distinctly different situations.

I would say that Mai Trin wasn't truly redeemed (especially given that you can say whether or not you think she was), and I felt the time spent with her was a fair amount - far more than she would have gotten in Season 4 if they didn't scrap her involvement there. Could it have been better? kitten right it could have. But was it sufficient? I'd say so. I enjoyed her character development and pacing, the only thing I didn't enjoy was her fulfilling the trope of "redemption through death". I would have far preferred for her to have survived and be taken to Lion's Arch's jail, so that she could be brought back as a more permanent addition later on, similar to Canach being a good ex-con ally.

Similarly with Devona, it would have been better if it was more clear cut that the Herald of Balthazar was Devona, and maybe if she lasted a bit longer in the plot. So again: "Could it have been better? kitten right it could have. But was it sufficient? I'd say so."

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

The redone audio of Mai Trin in all the LWS1 content was very, very dissatisfying, but I consider that and Mai Trin in EoD to be distinctly different situations.

I would say that Mai Trin wasn't truly redeemed (especially given that you can say whether or not you think she was), and I felt the time spent with her was a fair amount - far more than she would have gotten in Season 4 if they didn't scrap her involvement there. Could it have been better? kitten right it could have. But was it sufficient? I'd say so. I enjoyed her character development and pacing, the only thing I didn't enjoy was her fulfilling the trope of "redemption through death". I would have far preferred for her to have survived and be taken to Lion's Arch's jail, so that she could be brought back as a more permanent addition later on, similar to Canach being a good ex-con ally.

I fully agree with the second part of the comment.

I guess the difference in our opinion here comes down to simple preference. Personally, I consider her involvement in the story not only bad in terms of pacing (and "redemption through death" you correctly mentioned), but also that her involvement was kinda unneccesary. Imagine cutting her from the story and investigate the hole this would leave. They'd be rather minor and easily filled by whatever noname addition Anet could have thought of. Imho (like I said, opinion), Mai Trin deserved more, because I think she was an interesting character who drew the short end of the stick. So my main gripe is not only of what is in the story but especially the potential that now isn't.

Edited by Imba.9451

On 12/27/2022 at 8:24 PM, LSD.4673 said:

Zojja? You mean Taimi? She's right there: in the storylines, in the cutscenes, in your ear, always with something interesting to add to the plot.

There is no Zojja. There never was a Zojja. Only Taimi, and her clever funny joke-jokes.

Zojja would beat Taimi in a Taekwondo fight tho

On 2/7/2023 at 1:56 PM, Imba.9451 said:

Well, even the first antagonist (Zhaitan) had a... weird end, imagine all secondary characters

Edited by ZolracAtrox.2908
  • Like 1