Buff Aura Slicer dmg instead of Breaching Strike

Hotride.2187

I've played for a while with the recent dagger buffs, I feel like breaching strike is over the top now.

On average it hits harder than arcing slice, its unblockable, has decent range, rips boons and is refreshed by FC. IMO this is too much. Shave some of its dmg and put it on aura slicer. It used to be that aura slicer hit harder and breaching strike was used for mobility, tether and rip boons. I don't mind both hitting harder than before (they did too little dmg before) but breaching strike should not hit as hard as it does now. Aura slicer can probably push a bit more dmg to balance reducing breaching strike dmg.

Maybe moving the new "deals more dmg to boonless foes" would make more sense on aura slicer (though with less dmg increase) instead of on breaching strike.

Might also make sense to make the 2 abilities scale better with might. Since might on war is available if you invest in it, but not so much when playing with the new defense traits (and overall when playing tankier builds). I.e. let them do good dmg with a lot of might, but not as much without any.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Sad 1

Breaching strike is fine. It should absolutely NOT be nerfed. Further buffing aura slicer would be fine.

Not really sure what the concern over dagger damage is. Play against a herald or Vindicator or Willbender and watch nearly every skill chunk your health for at least 3k--including dodges for vindicator! Watch Nomads advance hit for close to 7k and spear of archemoros hit for 8k. Watch whirling wrath do 10k dmg on marauder gear.  It's ridiculous. Warrior needs to be built for full glass and stack might/mods to get anything resembling those numbers, and even then it is much less consistent than what other classes are capable of.

Warrior needs more damaging skills, not fewer, and the good damaging skills that it does have do not need to be nerfed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Not really sure what the concern over dagger damage is. Play against a herald or Vindicator or Willbender and watch nearly every skill chunk your health for at least 3k--including dodges for vindicator! Watch Nomads advance hit for close to 7k and spear of archemoros hit for 8k. Watch whirling wrath do 10k dmg on marauder gear. 

And which of these is unblockable and boonrips? War wins against all of the listed in 1v1 btw. And did so before the dagger buffs (aside from when vindicator sustain was too much).

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

And which of these is unblockable and boonrips? War wins against all of the listed in 1v1 btw. And did so before the dagger buffs (aside from when vindicator sustain was too much).

And all three have a better teamfight than war. Seems reasonable that there should be at least one reason to run a war.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

War wins against all of the listed in 1v1.

Your argument is that Warrior wins in situations that literally are not what sPvP is designed for?

That seems really weak as an argument.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Your argument is that Warrior wins in situations that literally are not what sPvP is designed for?

That seems really weak as an argument.

No, my argument is that its first and foremost unblockable, so it goes through a good defensive layer. It has low cd, can be refreshed and boonrips. See the first post.

And don't tell me how 1v1 is not something that happens in conquest. Depending on the fights, 1v1 happens a lot especially if you can end it quickly.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

And don't tell me how 1v1 is not something that happens in conquest. Depending on the fights, 1v1 happens a lot especially if you can end it quickly.

AFK also happens. Match Manipulation also happens. People actively acting against their own team (for example by stealthing them and thus preventing/delaying point capture) is also something that happens.

Just because it happens, doesn't mean it's the intended way to play in a 5vs5 mode.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Better idea:

Remove 50% dmg mod on boonless foes from Breaching Strike. Increase dmg output by 10% per boon removed, better, more reliable vs boon spam. 

Aura slicer now removes an aura from the enemy player (if they have one) and does 15% increased dmg on aura removed. Auras are potent defensive tools so you need dmg to go through them. Increase baseline dmg by 40%.

Wastrel's Ruin now cleaves 3 people and does 100% increased dmg to foes with more than 3 boons. 

Bladestorm, in addition to previous effects, now strips a boon per foe affected for the durstion of the skill. Increase number of strikes to 10 and compensate the coefficient with additional dmg. 

Dual dagger meta. 

19 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Just because it happens, doesn't mean it's the intended way to play in a 5vs5 mode.

1v1 are an intended thing in the 5v5 game mode. There is a reason duelist builds for PvP exist and they fill a role.

Or you telling me that every match you are zerging with all 4 other players on your team from one node to another?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Better idea:

Remove 50% dmg mod on boonless foes from Breaching Strike. Increase dmg output by 10% per boon removed, better, more reliable vs boon spam. 

Aura slicer now removes an aura from the enemy player (if they have one) and does 15% increased dmg on aura removed. Auras are potent defensive tools so you need dmg to go through them. Increase baseline dmg by 40%.

Wastrel's Ruin now cleaves 3 people and does 100% increased dmg to foes with more than 3 boons. 

Bladestorm, in addition to previous effects, now strips a boon per foe affected for the durstion of the skill. Increase number of strikes to 10 and compensate the coefficient with additional dmg. 

Dual dagger meta. 

The changes they made were with PvE in mind, not competitive. But seeing as they've been radically changing skills lately between game modes, I see no reason why Breaching Strike and Aura Slicer can't do what you suggest in PvP/WvW. Wastrel's should still cleave in all modes. Bladestorm changes alone would be great in WvW.

33 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

1v1 are an intended thing in the 5v5 game mode. There is a reason duelist builds for PvP exist and they fill a role.

Or you telling me that every match you are zerging with all 4 other players on your team from one node to another?

It's a team mode. That very detail already should tell you that you aren't encouraged to fight one enemy player on your own.

Just because "duelist" builds work by happenstance, doesn't mean the mode, that intends for you to play in a team, needs to be balanced around them.

42 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Better idea:

Is this accompanied by a flat 50% damage increase in PvE? Because otherwise, your idea would be a hard, unnecessary and unwanted nerf for PvE.

Edited by Fueki.4753

14 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It's a team mode. That very detail already should tell you that you aren't encouraged to fight one enemy player on your own.

Just because "duelist" builds work by happenstance, doesn't mean the mode, that intends for you to play in a team, needs to be balanced around them.

Is this accompanied by a flat 50% damage increase in PvE? Because otherwise, your idea would be a hard, unnecessary and unwanted nerf for PvE.

PvE can be whatever, I don't care tbh, split the skill, has happened. 

16 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The changes they made were with PvE in mind, not competitive. But seeing as they've been radically changing skills lately between game modes, I see no reason why Breaching Strike and Aura Slicer can't do what you suggest in PvP/WvW. Wastrel's should still cleave in all modes. Bladestorm changes alone would be great in WvW.

Im kinda running Defense Hamm/Dual dagger spb in wvw for the fun of it. Full zerk with pack runes for the lack of fury. 

Classic full dmg defense options, classic dmg diwcipline options, Spb usually loss aver with Collapse and between No escape or crit dmg. 

Wastrel's does meh dmg, occasional 9k crit with all buffs. Bladestorm full casts for 8k on single target. 

Breaching does great.

Aura Slicer is filler. 

Hamm Im fine with, tho Backscratcher needs dmg back. 

I've said what I said based on lots of testing, daggers can be great. 

35 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Im kinda running Defense Hamm/Dual dagger spb in wvw for the fun of it. Full zerk with pack runes for the lack of fury. 

Classic full dmg defense options, classic dmg diwcipline options, Spb usually loss aver with Collapse and between No escape or crit dmg. 

Wastrel's does meh dmg, occasional 9k crit with all buffs. Bladestorm full casts for 8k on single target. 

Breaching does great.

Aura Slicer is filler. 

Hamm Im fine with, tho Backscratcher needs dmg back. 

I've said what I said based on lots of testing, daggers can be great. 

They can be, but that requires Anet to:

• Recognize that Daggers can be capable of big damage.
  • Not listening to the resultant QQ about it.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Sounds good actually.

I'm not sure about the values, aura slicer getting 40% dmg increase will definitely be too much for conquest. 10% per removed boon on breaching strike in conquest might be too much, I'm not sure. But removing the dmg bonus on boonless foes will be a good thing; I initially thought its worthless but the dmg spikes are very high when you get the bonus dmg (and its not infrequent).

For wvw sure, there everyone runs toughness.

25 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Sounds good actually.

I'm not sure about the values, aura slicer getting 40% dmg increase will definitely be too much for conquest. 10% per removed boon on breaching strike in conquest might be too much, I'm not sure. But removing the dmg bonus on boonless foes will be a good thing; I initially thought its worthless but the dmg spikes are very high when you get the bonus dmg (and its not infrequent).

For wvw sure, there everyone runs toughness.

The percentages are semantics. Details. Not rly much impact in some spitballed numbers. 

The general concept for me with these skills is: Aura slicer going from 4k crits to 5-6k crits with aura removal and Breaching strike doing that 5k and reaching the 6k-7k range tops if 3 boons are removed, which to be honest, is pretty ok considering the melee range on a full glass warrior who can crit cap. 

7 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

The general concept for me with these skills is: Aura slicer going from 4k crits to 5-6k crits with aura removal and Breaching strike doing that 5k and reaching the 6k-7k range tops if 3 boons are removed, which to be honest, is pretty ok considering the melee range on a full glass warrior who can crit cap. 

For my wvw afk build I went with daredevil runes (next attack crits after dodge), with the defense resistance on dodge you only have to worry about connecting the leap. Works really well with dodging into your opponent to keep up with their kiting.

37 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

For my wvw afk build I went with daredevil runes (next attack crits after dodge), with the defense resistance on dodge you only have to worry about connecting the leap. Works really well with dodging into your opponent to keep up with their kiting.

I remember cheesing that rune with reckless dodge core build and big mods to make nasty dodges lmao (they weren't rly nasty afterall).

Might work better without strength for sure. 

Idk I feel like Aggressive Onsalught SpB is being slept on, as the amount of quickness you generate makes this a fast-paced and fun build.

But ofc the sheep flock to some bunker bs and prefer to use Banner of Tactics with roamer builds instead of chad stunbreaks like Outrage and Frenzy or Featherfoot Grace.

10 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

But ofc the sheep flock to some bunker bs and prefer to use Banner of Tactics with roamer builds instead of chad stunbreaks like Outrage and Frenzy or Featherfoot Grace.

Yeah I have no patience for wvw anymore. I still duel with str dagger, swapping featherfoot grace for endure pain only when really necessary. But the rest of the time I'm gonna use whatever broken tools are available, like almost everyone else roaming.

In conquest though, pretty fun to run glassier builds. It pays off when your target doesn't have 10 years of sustain.