Brief History Of Elementalist Patching - A Highlight Of Overperformance & Balance Neglect

16 minutes ago, Lakerduck.1895 said:

I want to know the update about the current player base since the Catalyst firestorm has shifted the PvP landscape entirely thanks to the BS of the 5-player French Catalyst squad dominating the MATs and the massive prominence of the elementalists in championship winning MAT teams recently. My brother doesn't play much GW2 now since he's also frustrated by the Catalyst meta (same as me) and his Willbender doesn't get much love since ANet doesn't seem want to improve the Power DPS Willbender especially the off-hand sword in all game modes. Also, he told me that he gets wrecked by Catalysts and other PvP meta professions. I have noticed that there is something wrong with the Catalysts. Some of their attacks seemed are not telegraph and are hard to react. I was completely destroyed by a Catalyst and I was getting hit everywhere and not even seeing anything that hits me. Is there a mechanic on what makes a Catalyst difficult to read, perhaps, not telegraphed? Fortunately, I am still around playing this game since I finally reached Lv. 100 in fractals today, did some successful raid trainings and strike missions with the guild, doing the usual meta events, dailies, and Dragonstorm, and soloed T4 Mai Trin boss fractal. I'm really a main PvE player, but being put to a spot of playing PvP since the dailies are there. I honestly wish there are more PvE dailies so I don't have to play PvP at all. Unfortunately, the unbalanced nature of PvP can make more players leave the game. I want to see some of the statistics or anything related to current number of players after this current patch. I imagine how the new players got destroyed by the Catalysts and then decide to leave the game because they got blown out and/or shutout. Being dominated in PvP is a waste of time and it's similar to not making a progress by not playing the game. It's like the newer players get punished by the power fest of Catalysts and other meta professions by simply playing PvP and trying out other competitive game modes.

It got pretty hefty nerfs, but will need to wait until new season to see how it affects the meta. 

• 4 months later...

This needs an update.

Tier 5 Overperformance - When the class/build that was previously Tier 4 gets buffed to the moon for absolutely no explicable reason, resulting in the playerbase no longer taking the game mode seriously and frequently going AFK during matches. At this point, the spec has become so completely and unquestioningly broken and oppressive that there is very little reason to play anything else if you are being seriously competitive. Matches often come down entirely to whoever has the better person playing class/build as the only thing that can realistically counter it is itself. However, it becomes a moot point because again people have stopped taking the game seriously. Any prestige gained from winning in PvP is lost and now feels hollow as no one cares anymore. Results in the death of the game mode if left unaddressed for a prolonged period of time as many veteran players begin to quit out of disgust.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Master Ketsu.4569 said:

This needs an update.

Tier 5 Overperformance - When the class/build that was previously Tier 4 gets buffed to the moon for absolutely no explicable reason, resulting in the playerbase no longer taking the game mode seriously and frequently going AFK during matches. At this point, the spec has become so completely and unquestioningly broken and oppressive that there is very little reason to play anything else if you are being seriously competitive. Matches often come down entirely to whoever has the better person playing class/build as the only thing that can realistically counter it is itself. However, it becomes a moot point because again people have stopped taking the game seriously. Any prestige gained from winning in PvP is lost and now feels hollow as no one cares anymore. Results in the death of the game mode if left unaddressed for a prolonged period of time as many veteran players begin to quit out of disgust.

Im all for blanace and nerfing cata, it will get nerfed soon by the looks of the uproar. What I am more concerned about is the multiple easy, casual mechanic specs just waiting in the shadows. Scrapper was an example, druid/ranger afk pet immobs and spect are hovering. Vindi/rev are going to be unavoidable with bow+solid melee mechanics, other than constant los abuse (untamed is already obnoxious on a counter play level).

All warrior specs are frequently used in ranked, and it would not take much of a buff/meta shift for one of them to really take off, yet they are simple to play, and take far more effort to counter, as are multiple mesmer and necro specs. Stunlocks with no deminished returns is the most toxic thing currently in this game, shortly followed by the 0 downsides on stealth mechanics/target drops, and multiple classes have this, which makes fiths toxic af regardless of meta status (DH, mesmer, deadeye, unkillable dd). Willbender or gaurdian in general is not complicated either, so the return of that on a nerfed cata meta shift is hardly a ''step in the right direction''. They need to basically buff support classes so that there can be an end to the extremes of these simple to play high power burst, or braindead condi builds. There is little to no coordination in ranked becuase most classes are setup and built to 1v1, with very few support, or real team work. Even plat just duo farm lower ranks.. that about the most ''team work'' you will see.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Flowki.7194 said:

Im all for blanace and nerfing cata, it will get nerfed soon by the looks of the uproar.

The July 18th balance preview makes absolutely no mention about any changes or fixes to Ele.

People are right to be terrified & pissed off right now.

1 hour ago, Flowki.7194 said:

What I am more concerned about is the multiple easy, casual mechanic specs just waiting in the shadows

In no way is anything else even close to how insanely overpowered Ele is.

In fact, in the absence of Ele, the game kind of feels balanced amongst other classes at this moment.

It's too bad we're missing out on a good meta due to this Ele stuff.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

The July 18th balance preview makes absolutely no mention about any changes or fixes to Ele.

People are right to be terrified & pissed off right now.

In no way is anything else even close to how insanely overpowered Ele is.

In fact, in the absence of Ele, the game kind of feels balanced amongst other classes at this moment.

It's too bad we're missing out on a good meta due to this Ele stuff.

I doubt they will leave signets untouched, and even if they nerf them, you will all then just complain about power focus cata again ''too many immunes''. Terrified? there is a long line of toxic specs just waiting to take condi catas place, please stop suggesting the only thing wrong with this game is cata, what a load of bias short sighted nonsense.

Im curious what ''good meta'' looks like? becuase last I remember, willbender teleporting through walls and doing faceroll dps across 5 buttons sure felt fun to fight. Scrapper is good balance? set the bar for me, let me know what your idea of balance is.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

35 minutes ago, Flowki.7194 said:

I doubt they will leave signets untouched, and even if they nerf them, you will all then just complain about power focus cata again ''too many immunes''. Terrified? there is a long line of toxic specs just waiting to take condi catas place, please stop suggesting the only thing wrong with this game is cata, what a load of bias short sighted nonsense.

Im curious what ''good meta'' looks like? becuase last I remember, willbender teleporting through walls and doing faceroll dps across 5 buttons sure felt fun to fight. Scrapper is good balance? set the bar for me, let me know what your idea of balance is.

Come on dude.

Reread the OP post to understand the difference between Tier 1 OP, Tier 2 OP, Tier 3 OP, Tier 4 OP, and what @Master Ketsu.4569 has now pointed out as God Tier 5 OP.

We've had many builds over the years that sat in Tier 1 category, even Tier 2. Every once in awhile we get a Tier 3 that hangs around for a bit, and very rarely Tier 4s like original Chronobunker appear. But in all the 11 years I've played Guild Wars 2, aint nothing I remember that even comes close to having possessed the disparity of difference in sheer power level that Catalyst & Ele in general hold now over every other class/build.

This is the first time a class/build has ever achieved God Tier 5 OP, and it doesn't need little nerfs or adjustments, it needs straight gutting level nerfing. The way things stand right now, all the other classes/builds are like driving normal cars in a demolition derby, and then Catalyst shows up to the derby and he's driving a military grade war tank to compete against the guys in normal cars. <- This is actually a very proper analogy to define the level of overperformance that Catalyst/Ele in general is currently operating on.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Come on dude.

Reread the OP post to understand the difference between Tier 1 OP, Tier 2 OP, Tier 3 OP, Tier 4 OP, and what @Master Ketsu.4569 has now pointed out as God Tier 5 OP.

We've had many builds over the years that sat in Tier 1 category, even Tier 2. Every once in awhile we get a Tier 3 that hangs around for a bit, and very rarely Tier 4s like original Chronobunker appear. But in all the 11 years I've played Guild Wars 2, aint nothing I remember that even comes close to having possessed the disparity of difference in sheer power level that Catalyst & Ele in general hold now over every other class/build.

This is the first time a class/build has ever achieved God Tier 5 OP, and it doesn't need little nerfs or adjustments, it needs straight gutting level nerfing. The way things stand right now, all the other classes/builds are like driving normal cars in a demolition derby, and then Catalyst shows up to the derby and he's driving a military grade war tank to compete against the guys in normal cars. <- This is actually a very proper analogy to define the level of overperformance that Catalyst/Ele in general is currently operating on.

Your tier list is nothing more than subjectivity dressed up as fact.

SB for example, it basically hard counters true counter play, by simply boon ripping and stunning your opponent, at that, it takes very little effort to do. In my eyes that is the most broken thing in this game right now, by pure princible of what it achieves with so little effort. The cata nerfs will come, and people will move on.. yet SB? unkillable back capping thiefs? constant target drops across multiple specs? multiple specs with 5 button burst? melee classes with strong melee mechanics soon to get ranged weapons that were designed for ranged specs? I think your tier list is going to be busy in the near future, and not with ele.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Confused 6