Jan 2023 Patch very slow o~O

You cant even login on the launcher right now either.. and the downloading isnt working.. ive had to cntrl/alt/delete to close the launcher which then triggers an entire cache review of the game... Now its just stuck at 0%, cant log in and appears the game is crashing everywhere.. kinda glad im heading outta town for a couple days hehe hopefully it will work itself out..

2 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

The patch had 123k files that were < 1 KB and another 39k < 10 KB. Small files take longer to request than to download, so it's simply not possible to reach higher speeds. The same is true if you try to copy files like this on your own drive vs copying 1 large file (minutes vs seconds to copy).

You can somewhat speed it up by using the option "-patchconnections 20" to double the number of files GW2 downloads at a time.

Were these delta patches again?

Never had to look for information on a patch before, the update today was really slow.

To GW2 Team please investigate solutions for bigger file dumps like these, there has to be a way to use some local cache to download and unpack blobs of files and patch them in one by one as expected by the archaic system.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

To everyone saying that their internet connection is very good: It doesn't matter.

The long "download" times comes from patching, not the download itself. The recent patch had over 100k small files that needed to be patched (probably for the DX11 transition according to that_shaman), and every single files needs to be patched into the Gw2.dat file. One by one.

• Like 1

Mine keeps bouncing between 50-250kbps. I could download a 4k bluray rip in the amount of time it's taking to download this update...

And if it's the patching speed, why does it say downloading, with a download speed and an amount for what's already been downloaded....

Edited by MaverickBlue.4375

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 12:44 AM, Freezy.4952 said:

Never had to look for information on a patch before, the update today was really slow.

To GW2 Team please investigate solutions for bigger file dumps like these, there has to be a way to use some local cache to download and unpack blobs of files and patch them in one by one as expected by the archaic system.

This isn't possible because players can leave their clients at any version, Some players might log in with a client that is nearly a decade old, and the server still has to delta patch it because of that.

The only way to have an extremely fast download is to roll the entire update into one file, with no delta patching. This will probably mean downloading 5-10GB+ on average, for every update to the game, which may not seem like much but is many, many times the bandwidth the actual game uses (even large battles in this game use less than 1Mbit/sec) would easily hit data caps for users in many parts of the world.

The update before this one touched nearly every file in the game and would've been a 50GB download, but because of delta patching it was only less than 5% of that.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 1

• 3 months later...

Mid-May here and this still seems to be a problem.  I haven't played this game for about 6 months and I guess I'll give it another year and try again.  I am playing from East Coast USA and all of my drives are SSD, I run on a 400Mbps connection.  When patching GW2, it goes from start at 700+ kbps, occasionally spiking up to 2Mbps and then it trickles down to 0kbps and just sits there with 139,000 files remaining.  I can log in and select a character, but never get into game.  Just a load screen forever.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, SstarkRavenMadd.7341 said:

Mid-May here and this still seems to be a problem.  I haven't played this game for about 6 months and I guess I'll give it another year and try again.  I am playing from East Coast USA and all of my drives are SSD, I run on a 400Mbps connection.  When patching GW2, it goes from start at 700+ kbps, occasionally spiking up to 2Mbps and then it trickles down to 0kbps and just sits there with 139,000 files remaining.  I can log in and select a character, but never get into game.  Just a load screen forever.

Back then it was a problem which affected (nearly) everyone. Your problem sounds more like a problem on your end (but i don't have a clue what). Maybe create a support ticket?