Did they break WvW performance?

Gotejjeken.1267

5 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

After patch I'm getting massive frame drops in WvW...anyone else? 

Hm only noticed framerate drops when I had gw2 out of focus and was doing something on my other screen, it never did that before the patch. But I've also been getting frame rate spike drops after an hour or two of wvw zerging since like before summer, which forces me to restart the game to fix, so who knows.

I posted about it in technical support, but yeah, sometimes I was getting huge frame drops where my game would essentially become a slideshow! This definitely did not happen before the update for me. I thought mayibe it was because of Arcdps or something but haven't been able to confirm that yet. Hope it gets fixed or figured out!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's not just in WvW. There are posts on the forums about frame rate drop in all of the game modes since Tuesday's update. Personally I haven't noticed that much of a drop overall, but I have noticed the game is much more "jumpy" at certain times now, whether I'm in PvE or WvW.

Weirdest thing I've seen so far was a guildmate who had the game crash, he re-opened the client and logged back into the game and he was still in WvW.

• Like 2

Caught some of this last night, was fine and then suddenly mass frame rate skipping all over the place in the middle of a mass fight. I play on a paperclip of an internet connection so would normally think it was me but jumped out to do a speed test and connection was looking good. Will have to watch for repeats and patterns.

• Like 1

I've heard of people playing with DX9 rather than DX11 because of their more dated PCs and having to restart their game as the game has some stuttering problem over a period of time.

Otherwise it still performs as you'd expect depending on your CPU even using DX11, if your Clock speeds are throttling it would be an issue.

Edited by CrimsonNeon.6712

Maybe this was way older and unrelated, but seemed related to me atleast. The game uses more resources since before december, and seems to have changes that cant be turned off. More vibrant color / bloom is still there for me in my opinion (even with post-processing "none").

On 12/13/2022 at 10:52 PM, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hi all,

Quick update. We're working on a hotfix now that will revert the postprocessing changes and return things to how they functioned prior to today's update. This should release later today.

Some added context on how today’s change came to be. As I mentioned in my earlier post, we’re in the process of finalizing our engine upgrade to DirectX11. Completing that upgrade is going to open the door to new DX11 rendering features that will allow us to improve the graphical fidelity and performance of the game.

In preparation for that transition and as part of our overall graphics upgrade initiative, today's change enabled color grading by default, which allows our environment artists to leverage color look-up tables to create distinct moods for different environments. This will ensure that art quality across different graphics settings profiles is more consistent with our standards. However, color grading isn't the main culprit behind the issues that have been raised today—it's because of graphics features and effects like light bloom that are being forced on for all players in the revised postprocessing settings.

When we set out to make these changes, we recognized that we'd need to give players control over settings like light bloom by separating it out from postprocessing. That change didn't make it into today's build, so we're reverting the color grading and postprocessing changes and will ship them all together once that is ready.

We recognize that our players have a wide variety of hardware configurations and graphics preferences. As we continue to work on improving the game's graphical fidelity, we want to give players as much control as we can over their graphics settings, whether it's for aesthetic, performance, or accessibility reasons.

Thank you for your patience today,

Josh Davis
Game Director

Edited by Loke.1429