A Mathy question... what amount of power stat increase is worth a 10% damage buff when running with 1000 base power.

shion.2084

11 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

If 1000 power is baseline lowest power damage output possible, then a +10% damage mod would be exactly equivalent to +100 power because +100 power is 10% of 1000 baseline damage.

And so other % damage increases don't care whether the modifier here was power or a %?  Also for crit damage it makes no difference?

23 minutes ago, shion.2084 said:

And so other % damage increases don't care whether the modifier here was power or a %?  Also for crit damage it makes no difference?

Ok let me explain this in detail. First look at the actual equation: 

Damage done = (Weapon strength) * Power * (skill-specific coefficient)/(target's Armor)

Without going into a short thesis on this, if we are talking a build using only 1000 base power that is using no other damage modifiers except either +100 power or +10% to damage but not both, the +100 power would have the exact same result on total damage dealt as a +10% to damage mod.

However things begin to get much more complicated if we are talking a build with several +% to damage mods, which add up multiplicatively where +power does not. A good example is that with this previous basic equation, +100 power is equivalent to +10% damage mod, but if we were talking +100 power and another +100 power vs. +10% mod and another +10% mod, the two +10% mods would actually deal slightly more damage than the +200 power.

But for your specific question, I assure you that +10% damage mod is worth exactly +100 power when running with base 1000 power.

Also, ferocty is figured in FIRST during the * Power portion of the equation. The +% damage mods are added at the end. They do not stack before applying to the equation, they are added in succession. Let me explain to you how those +% damage mods work at the END of these damage equations:

If you had damage mods on your character of +10% +10% and +10%, most people think it adds up to +30% before applying, but this is not true. What it actually does is this: Say your total damage equation would normally equal 1000 damage to the target. It does not do +30% making it 1300 damage. What it actually does is 1000 +10% = 1100, then adds the next 10% to that total to make it 1210, then ads the next 10% to that total to make it 1331. Do you see what I mean here? Those mods always add at the end and in succession. They do not stack before adding.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Ok let me explain this in detail. First look at the actual equation: 

Damage done = (Weapon strength) * Power * (skill-specific coefficient)/(target's Armor)

Without going into a short thesis on this, if we are talking a build using only 1000 base power that is using no other damage modifiers except either +100 power or +10% to damage but not both, the +100 power would have the exact same result on total damage dealt as a +10% to damage mod.

However things begin to get much more complicated if we are talking a build with several +% to damage mods, which add up multiplicatively where +power does not. A good example is that with this previous basic equation, +100 power is equivalent to +10% damage mod, but if we were talking +100 power and another +100 power vs. +10% mod and another +10% mod, the two +10% mods would actually deal slightly more damage than the +200 power.

But for your specific question, I assure you that +10% damage mod is worth exactly +100 power when running with base 1000 power.

So if I have 1000 power and the option of 100 more power or a 10% damage bonus... I get it equal.   Now if in addition to the 1000 power I already have a 10% damage bonus, and I can have either 100 more power or the 10% additional damage buff... then I'm slightly ahead to take the 10%... is what I take your saying.

Thank you

4 hours ago, shion.2084 said:

So if I have 1000 power and the option of 100 more power or a 10% damage bonus... I get it equal.   Now if in addition to the 1000 power I already have a 10% damage bonus, and I can have either 100 more power or the 10% additional damage buff... then I'm slightly ahead to take the 10%... is what I take your saying.

Thank you

Also bear in mind that while demolisher (or similar) amulet gives +1000 power, you already have a base 1000 power to begin with, so your total power is 2000. That means a gain of +100 power is actually a 5% increase in total power. So you're probably better off with the +10% modifier.

28 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Also bear in mind that while demolisher (or similar) amulet gives +1000 power, you already have a base 1000 power to begin with, so your total power is 2000. That means a gain of +100 power is actually a 5% increase in total power. So you're probably better off with the +10% modifier.

Right... in that case the power we'd be comparing in the scenario would be 200.   Thanks for pointing it out.

23 hours ago, shion.2084 said:

Not quite.

At a base power value of 1000 adding 100 extra power will always be equal to an additional 10% dmg buff, regardless of how many dmg modifiers you already have. So 1000 power + 10% + another 10% still equals 1000 power + 10% + 100 power.

However 1000 + 100 + 100 power results in less dmg than 1000 power + 10% + 10%, because the latter does not add up to a 20% dmg increase like those additional 200 power would, but instead end up being a dmg increase of 21 % due to the multiplicative calculation (110% * 110% = 121%).

In practise adding more dmg modifiers is almost always better than adding raw stats.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Confused 1