Black lion chest drop rate

TsakiVs.5976

On 2/2/2023 at 6:45 PM, Solvar.7953 said:

I suspect that if Anet did display the actual odds of the different things, people would more easily see how terrible the odds are and not open any chests.

And this is what I wish laws mandated: If you're going to offer a lootbox you must prominently display the odds for receiving given items. It's a pretty crappy practice to hide all that -- yeah, it's normal gaming industry practice, but that doesn't make it any less crappy. Luckily ArenaNet is good enough to put those Statuettes in there as a pity prize over time -- and they don't lootbox items truly important to gameplay.

I think the drop rates for the BLC were reduced noticeably last August (or was it September?).  I mean the rate at which I would open a fifth item in a BLC.  (an uncommon or better bonus item) I have no proof of course.  I could have been extremely lucky up until that point, and rather unlucky since then.  Before that point I had thought to myself, "Gw2 has quite a generous gatcha, much better than the other games I play."   I didn't feel bad about buying keys, because it was usually a rewarding experience.  The last time I opened BLC I didn't even want the chase rare, I just wanted statuettes.  I still noticed that I seemed to get fewer of the bonus drops.

I tend to agree with that - my rule was that whenever a new chest would come out, I would use 5 keys (either bought when on discount or through map completion) and see what I get.

While many months I didn't get anything beyond the basic stuff, I at least got something 'better' often enough (every few months) that I considered it worth it.  But for quite a while, I felt like I haven't gotten anything 'better', though this could just be luck.

What I also find somewhat obnoxious is chest just complaining junk items worth gold.  Sure, it may be a junk item worth 5 gold, but if my goal was to get gold, I would just sell the gems instead of buying keys.

• Confused 1

I should provide more context. I usually open chests in batches of 25. 

Twice I got the chase item at around 10 or so keys.  If I really wanted the featured skin, after opening 25 chests, I would buy 25 more keys and usually got the featured item from that. The worst I remember was opening 75 chests then spending statuetts on a gold key and getting the chase item from the gold key's guaranteed 5th item.  Fortunately the first 50 keys of that bad run were bought during a sale.