Underestimated Phantasmal Defender

Mell.4873

With the recent changes to Inspiration I wanted to point out how powerful Phantasmal Defender is in a PvE setting (not really instanced content).

"Taunt is a condition that forces the affected target to run towards and auto-attack the source of the taunt" 

When it comes to soloing and grouping enemies up Phantasmal Defender is my go to skill. Taunt is an amazing controlling effect which normally is not that accessible to GW2 classes. 

With the increasing access to Aegis the traited spawn of PD will result in an endless supply of taunt for a Mesmer to enjoy. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 11

Am pretty sure even with a wild Mimic, CS and Signet of the Ether tossed on a Mental Defense + Chronophantasma Chrono it'd still be far from 'endless'.

Anything works in Open World if you try hard enough, but, alas, there is a reason that current popular builds don't use PD, which is (surprise, surprise): Other utilities are more powerful/versatile.

Don't get me wrong, I love all the different phantasms we have access to (except maybe Mage >.>), but I wouldn't call the Defender underestimated. It is fun, for sure, but it could use a little bit more oomph on the numbers' side (either cd-wise or dmg-wise) imho.

Edited by Sapujapu.4072
  • Like 11

16 minutes ago, Sapujapu.4072 said:

Am pretty sure even with a wild Mimic, CS and Signet of the Ether tossed on a Mental Defense + Chronophantasma Chrono it'd still be far from 'endless'.

Anything works in Open World if you try hard enough, but, alas, there is a reason that current popular builds don't use PD, which is (surprise, surprise): Other utilities are more powerful/versatile.

Don't get me wrong, I love all the different phantasms we have access to (except maybe Mage >.>), but I wouldn't call the Defender underestimated. It is fun, for sure, but it could use a little bit more oomph on the numbers' side (either cd-wise or dmg-wise) imho.

Well, most PvE fights don't last that long. It's really just to keep stuff off you and grouped up while you burst down something, it can even be used in instanced content.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

I think the main sticking point is that full berserker gear and into the void will group mobs up well enough to AoE burst down easily enough.
Where phantasmal defender would be the most use is on tough mobs, I believe there's still a few in open world without defiance bars but since those came out it's rendered defender less useful than it could be.
This is without addressing the elephant in the corner, that while it has a baseline scaling twice that of PvP (due to PvP nerfs) in PvE mobs don't hit that quick either so it will be about the same as in PvP where it's not that great for damage over shatter burst. It's also mostly balanced around chrono so take that for what it is.
Does this mean you can't run it? No by all means run it, however it doesn't proc interrupt or on CC traits and there are more useful options out there in inspiration and out of inspiration now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Well, most PvE fights don't last that long. It's really just to keep stuff off you and grouped up while you burst down something, it can even be used in instanced content.

From this perspective the last patch didn't do anything beneficial for MD at all. Yes, there are additional sources of Aegis but Mesmers already had enough sources to trigger the trait to begin with. The ICD also kills this trait for anything PvP.

The idea behind PD and MD is interesting. But their current implementation is gimmicky at best and the recent patch didn't change that. Additionally, for group scenarios you're probably better off just taking BI (or MoM). I personally don't get the point of this thread, sorry. 

• Like 2

@apharma.3741

I run that too but I'm talking about avoiding damage. In PvP or even most instanced content this concept does not work. 

Its all about a burst rotation, a clean rotation to kill something while take the minimal amount of damage that is where Phantasmal Defender shines. 

@Xaylin.1860

You will have to run Inspiration but on something like Virtuoso that is a great fit. The aegis can also serve as a way to get quickness aswell. 

BI? MoM? MD? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Justine.6351 said:

If you are taking inspiration you might as well run traited focus. Projectile reflects and a huge aoe pull every 20 seconds at target location.

I do that to, it helps keep them together for the 360 taunt from Phantasmal Defender 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

14 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

You will have to run Inspiration but on something like Virtuoso that is a great fit. The aegis can also serve as a way to get quickness aswell. 

BI? MoM? MD? 

How does it matter for PD or MD that Aegis serves other purposes? My point is: the patch didn't change anything relevant for those because Mesmer already had enough access to blocks. Their performance won't be better than before.

BI = Blurred Inscriptions 

MoM = Master of Manipulation

MD = Mental Defense.

Now, if you are talking about burst rotation... if you have to wait for MD to get off cooldown, that's quite a slow rotation...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Xaylin.1860 said:

How does it matter for PD or MD that Aegis serves other purposes? My point is: the patch didn't change anything relevant for those because Mesmer already had enough access to blocks. Their performance won't be better than before.

BI = Blurred Inscriptions 

MoM = Master of Manipulation

MD = Mental Defense.

Now, if you are talking about burst rotation... if you have to wait for MD to get off cooldown, that's quite a slow rotation...

Very true, I just wanted to bring this up again is all. 

Generally the fight won't last that long, it also can be staggered alot with the Signet of Either (heal). 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, katte nici.9483 said:

It's pretty long in PvE for such a useless skill. It's 90 seconds in competitive btw.

Im not claiming that you should use it in competitive it's just a PvE tip. 

It reiterate my point most people I talk to in game find Mesmer very hard to play and very squishy, being unable to survive a sneeze from a mob. 

The best way to play Mesmer is with a fixed rotation that can achieve high damage while avoiding the most damage.

Phantasmal Defender is one of the skills that can help you achieve this. By all means it isn't the only one but it helps especially if you plan to play something like Power Greatsword. 

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4