I tried Bladesworn in WvW

nuwanomura.5763

BS will never be a competitive pick in PvP until they put stability back on Dragonscale defense.

I have very little experience in WvW, but I imagine that, in addition to stability on DSD, they probably need to increase DS-3's range to at least 1200 (if not 1500). That way, BS could participate more in the pirate ship zerg fights.

In fact, it would be nice if they made all of gunsaber's ranged attacks 1200 range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@CalmTheStorm.2364
The problem with Bladesworn is there is no boon rip so it has to do superior (+30% or more) damage to be taken over spellbreaker which removes protection. Many commanders are asking for berserker right now, does Bladesworn have the potential to outdamage berserker in WvW while moving? The answer is a resounding no IMO.

Dragon Slash-Force at minimum charge probably will not even match Earthshaker (0.682 coefficient) or Arcing Slice (1.2 coefficient to 1.82 coefficient <50% HP) on spellbreaker let alone Rupturing Smash (1.14 coefficient) , Scorched Earth (1.26 coefficient), or Arc Divider (2.112 coefficient) on berserker. Slapping projectiles all across gunsaber does not help either. You still would need adrenaline or flow to build up for Dragon Slash - reach (which has a maximum 0.9075 coefficient in WvW) so ranging is not all that effective either. Berserker Gun flame has 1.54 coefficient and if you are mostly in melee range then even flaming flurry has ~2.0 coefficient.

2 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

@CalmTheStorm.2364
The problem with Bladesworn is there is no boon rip so it has to do superior (+30% or more) damage to be taken over spellbreaker which removes protection. Many commanders are asking for berserker right now, does Bladesworn have the potential to outdamage berserker in WvW while moving? The answer is a resounding no IMO.

Dragon Slash-Force at minimum charge probably will not even match Earthshaker (0.682 coefficient) or Arcing Slice (1.2 coefficient to 1.82 coefficient <50% HP) on spellbreaker let alone Rupturing Smash (1.14 coefficient) , Scorched Earth (1.26 coefficient), or Arc Divider (2.112 coefficient) on berserker. Slapping projectiles all across gunsaber does not help either. You still would need adrenaline or flow to build up for Dragon Slash - reach (which has a maximum 0.9075 coefficient in WvW) so ranging is not all that effective either. Berserker Gun flame has 1.54 coefficient and if you are mostly in melee range then even flaming flurry has ~2.0 coefficient.

I can't speak for WvW and its nuances, but I can tell you that the coeffs don't tell the whole story.

You're right that, on paper, DS doesn't do that much dmg. However, the coeffs don't factor in might generation, dmg mods, and things like guns and glory, which spots you an extra 15% critical dmg (250 ferocity) on every dragon slash.

I play around with BS a lot in PvP, and I find that BS does some of the best power dmg out of warrior's power builds (tho a distant second to glass berserker builds, of course).

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

I can't speak for WvW and its nuances, but I can tell you that the coeffs don't tell the whole story.

You're right that, on paper, DS doesn't do that much dmg. However, the coeffs don't factor in might generation, dmg mods, and things like guns and glory, which spots you an extra 15% critical dmg (250 ferocity) on every dragon slash.

I play around with BS a lot in PvP, and I find that BS does some of the best power dmg out of warrior's power builds (tho a distant second to glass berserker builds, of course).

The might generation mostly happens during the Dragon Trigger charge (due to Unyielding Dragon), but at least it seems you agree with me that berserker does more damage...

I did many tests at the Armistice Bastion to come this conclusion, the coefficients have been essentially untouched since the EoD release for DT, and everyone in WvW seems to avoid bladesworn outside of roaming people that did not get the memo that it is not that relevant anymore.

In addition, I think you are heavily discounting spellbreaker's Attacker's Insight that has been improved. It now provides 35 ferocity per stack so if you trigger it with Full Counter , Break Enchantments, or Winds of Disenchantment let alone any CC skills you get 175 ferocity.

Edited by Infusion.7149

25 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

The might generation mostly happens during the Dragon Trigger charge (due to Unyielding Dragon), but at least it seems you agree with me that berserker does more damage...

I did many tests at the Armistice Bastion to come this conclusion, the coefficients have been essentially untouched since the EoD release for DT, and everyone in WvW seems to avoid bladesworn outside of roaming people that did not get the memo that it is not that relevant anymore.

In addition, I think you are heavily discounting spellbreaker's Attacker's Insight that has been improved. It now provides 35 ferocity per stack so if you trigger it with Full Counter , Break Enchantments, or Winds of Disenchantment let alone any CC skills you get 175 ferocity.

Re: the might:. I was actually thinking that most BS builds run some variant of a shout build that gets a ton of might and fury from FGJ. The might from Unyielding Dragon helps, too, of course.

I haven't forgotten AI (I believe it is now 40 power/precision/ferocity in PvP, idk about WvW). A fully charged up SpB can definitely slap. But that requires CCing targets or stripping boons to perform at that level, whereas BS can just pump a few shouts and might cap and then pump from range. BS generally has better dmg spikes than SpB, in PvP at least, but SpB is no slouch. It just takes a little bit to get going.

Edited by CalmTheStorm.2364

The best comparison of damage potential in theory vs damage potential in a real fight for WvW is probably if you compare kill times of a SpB to something like a Berserker against a sentry and then again vs a prot spamming enemy, like a Catalyst.  The sentry will go down much faster with Berserker, but you might not even make a dent against the Catalyst.  A SpB can land a good burst once the prot is stripped and take a good chunk though.  

The same would go for a BS.  Against some classes, the CC potential can carry you through to do some damage, but if that target (like a catalyst) has high stability up time, there’s not going to be much practical damage.

Edited by Dahkeus.8243

7 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Bladesworn have the potential to outdamage berserker in WvW

no

4 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

outside of roaming people that did not get the memo that it is not that relevant anymore.

these people are probably testing builds, either that or they don't know or don't care. or are godly. 🤣

it was never a relevant roamer, not even when it was "good", back when tactical reload recharged shout cd, or when dragonscale defense gave stab.

"working" bladesworn builds are mostly str/tac, str/def or tac/def, so try running around out there w/o warrior's sprint. you'd be ganged up, cc'd and busted up, before you could count to 2.

also without means to strip prot, you'd hit for fluff against 90% of the things running around out there.

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2