My list of painful points not addressed

anduriell.6280

Issue with ranger is that all the specs need a rework.

Soulbeast is very specific to group PVE content and lacks viable open world/WvW builds outside of that.

Druid is a sponge......that's it basically a sponge, it exists for open world because it's a sponge, works in groups because sponge.

Untamed mechanic is in heavy need of decompression without it being gutted in the process. because it's the only spec that can do fine in any content provided players can master a piano's worth of cooldown management.

Edited by Ashford.8540

The OP seem to be content with core pets as they aren't listed in the painpoints... To think someone would be satisfied with those pets... I'm baffled.

For me, the ranger's painpoints are:

• The lack of control over most pet skills for non-untamed specs.
  • Pet skills that are have cast time to accomodate poor animation frame:
    • Devourer retreat (the worst offender, more than 3 seconds of animation for less than 2 second of evade frame, this is just ridiculous. I'm not even sure that my devourer ever managed to evade anything with this skill),
    • Quickening screech (Why is the bird doing an animation for a screech when most shout in game are instant and without cast time? The bird is just giving swiftness for god's sake! Does it need to be penalized for doing this?)
  • Porcine's forage skill... why does it leave the bundle on the floor?
  • Core pets' skills: awful cast time/animation and often ridiculously long CD for disappointingly poor effects.
  • The lack of way to keep a pet stowed when in combat outside of Soulbeast.
  • Druid's avatar mode (I hate almost everything about it: the way energy is built, the way energy is consumed, the skills... The only thing I do like is the aesthetic of the character in avatar mode). Also, why is it even called druid? Druids in the lore aren't even close in ability, thematic or aesthetic to this e-spec.
  • Moa not having a "supportive" archetype. How can the most supportive pet family not have a "supportive" archetype? That's so frustrating...
Edited by Dadnir.5038
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 10:19 AM, anduriell.6280 said:

Empathic Bond still in WS trait-line instead BM. If you want to cleanse you go WS or nothing.

This is wrong.

Core ranger has access to healing spring, evasive purity, brown bear, and cleansing sigils.

Druid has druidic clarity, seed of life, and blasting seed of life with lunar impact. 

Soulbeast has access to bear stance, unstoppable union, and dolyak stance

Untamed has cleansing unleash.

evasive purity still with iCD, that trait has enough CD because it depends on dodges. 

You can probably argue about reducing the internal cooldown. But what you say doesn't take into account energy sigils.

Spirits are unusable outside from raids

Not true at all. They are usable in other parts of PvE, but not in PvP or WvW. 

Spirits in PvE are just annoying to use.

core still can’t hide the pet permanently. That alone would solve the biggest issue ranger has in wvw. 

If no one wanted core ranger it was because it doesn't do anything. Soulbeast on the other hand actually does something, plus you can hide the pet.

unfinished still feels like garbage and make me feel nauseated when I play with it independently of the game mode . 

What do you want to see changed with untamed? I think it's fine the way it is.

2 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

The OP seem to be content with core pets as they aren't listed in the painpoints... To think someone would be satisfied with those pets... I'm baffled.

If someone says "I like pancakes." do you understand it as "I hate waffles."?
There is a possibility to just forget to add it or just not include it due to low work-to-impact ratio.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:38 PM, anduriell.6280 said:

Exactly what i feel when i play Druid. It does pretty well in small scale (3-5 each team) but the bigger is the group the more useless it feels.  Also when i write "it does pretty well" keep in mind  what i actually mean is it feel somewhat useful.

But that can be applied to every Ranger specialization. And let's not forget the limping pet following you around everywhere. When you try to hide you allies with celestial shadow.

There must be a reason Druid is still a very niche build with no usage in real squad combat and very few guilds use it in their havoc comps that i know of for as much as some would like otherwise. 

You are overfocused on the negative side of playing a Ranger. Most of the strengths you never highlight.

The Pet dying in WvW is not the best issue to focus on since what is the pet going to contribute even if it was completely immune to aoe? Pet has two main uses in PvP:

• Popping Traps: which is an amazing use for a pet, it does result in its death but i would rather that than myself.
  • Damaging AoE minus 1: it soaks up one of the AoE charges during a Zerg clash. That means an AoE that targets 5 people now only hits 4 people.

I don't really expect my pet do anything other than provide its Beast skill outside this.

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Beddo.1907 said:

If someone says "I like pancakes." do you understand it as "I hate waffles."?
There is a possibility to just forget to add it or just not include it due to low work-to-impact ratio.

Generally, "No" but if someone give it's "list of painpoints" and thoroughly ignore the elephant in the room then, yes I understand that they don't have any issue with the elephant in the room. Even if this elephant is crushing them against a wall or the floor.

The strength of the ranger is supposed to be it's pet not random PvP traits or situational utility skills. Core pets are supposed to be a pool of possible skills for the ranger yet 95% of those skills are insufferably bad. The true painpoint of the ranger since release is and have always been the pet. What's the point of skills on which you have close to no control and that buff you after you needed this buff? What's the point of a poorly timed invulnerability skill? What's the point of an evade skill that let your pet evade after they've been hit while making them suceptible to being hit before and after the evade frame? How is it possible that our pets need 2 second of immobility to launch pathetically bad shouts when our character can lauch instant shouts on the move that are infinitely more powerful and can be traited/supported by runesets to even greater heights?

A good pet always have a huge impact on the ranger's performance. We've seen what kind of impact a good pet have in both HoT and PoF. I do believe that fixing the pets family one at a time with each patch would do a lot more good to the ranger than pointing out at things that are already almost good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 8:45 AM, Ashford.8540 said:

Soulbeast is very specific to group PVE content and lacks viable open world/WvW builds outside of that.

I mean... I've run it in all three... it feels a bit like a third wheel in WvW and I definitely agree Ranger needs something there (the only build some sites even list is heal druid). But I haven't struggled to make Soulbeast work in open-world PvE in a long time. I do mostly run raid builds there these days rather than bothering with the tweaks to improve might generation, sustain etc, but it does have those options if you need them.

• Like 1