Idea | Engineer's next elite spec

August.5934

Next Elite Spec  

21 members have voted

1. 1. So, What do you think guys, you like it?

• Yes, I like the idea. Let's have it.
    • No, I don't like the idea because...........................................................[You can state your reasons below]

@Cal Cohen.2358 @Rubi Bayer.8493

I came up with the most awasome idea for engineer. This will solve a problem of not having a monk class in the game as well.

The idea is for engineer to wear a mechanic suit and be like an iron-man! 

Class spec weapon: Optional(Let Anet decide it) | My advice: dual-Axe wilder or Greatsword or dual-dagger wilder or staff~ 

Iron-man-mode | Gives engineer 2nd health bar like necromancer with a set of skills and skills are like this:

• Skill 1: 2 punching strikes then 3rd hit is a leaser hit from hand to blast enemy.
  • Skill 2,3,4: (Let's Anet make it 🙂)
  • Skill 5: Leaser beam attack from hand.
  • Spec toolbelt skill | Total 3 toolbelt(proffession) skills on Normal mode (Anet decide it). Proffession skill 5 swaps to Iron-man mode and on Iron man mode, toolbelt skills changes to one singular skill. Engineer throws all the overheated energy on enemy target. Like Spirit-Ball goku usesd in Dragon Ball Z.

Suit Examples: [Image 1] | [Image 2] | [Image 3]

EDIT: Dodge skill changes into Dash instead of regular roll on iron-man mode 😳

Edited by August.5934

1 minute ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

Not to stomp on your dreams but I don't think we'll be getting another elite spec. Plus I didn't like that last one so my hopes would be pretty low.

I know for the fact that many player love to have this in game but because they are afraid to have hope cause of many disappointment, people may refuse this idea just cause of that but i am not giving up... Not this time, I will have hope this time.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

kitten, stop with the lasers. We keep getting more and more laser attacks on engineer elite specs, it was fun when they did it the first time, but then a second, and a third....

Also not a fan of using a shroud mechanic, it is just a combination of 2 elite specs we already have: holosmith (photon forge mode for unique set of skills) + scrapper (barrier to cover your health bar)

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

We keep getting more and more laser attacks on engineer elite specs

oooookay, m lost here. The only leaser attack i see on engineer is from Mechanist's robot's elite skill. How many laser attacks do you think we have anyway?

Plus, it's an idea. This isn't 100% garanteed that we getting it so no need to get frustrated 😄

15 hours ago, August.5934 said:

@Cal Cohen.2358 @Rubi Bayer.8493

I came up with the most awasome idea for engineer. This will solve a problem of not having a monk class in the game as well.

The idea is for engineer to wear a mechanic suit and be like an iron-man! 

Class spec weapon: Optional(Let Anet decide it) | My advice: dual-Axe wilder or Greatsword or dual-dagger wilder or staff~ 

Iron-man-mode | Gives engineer 2nd health bar like necromancer with a set of skills and skills are like this:

• Skill 1: 2 punching strikes then 3rd hit is a leaser hit from hand to blast enemy.
  • Skill 2,3,4: (Let's Anet make it 🙂)
  • Skill 5: Leaser beam attack from hand.
  • Spec toolbelt skill | Total 3 toolbelt(proffession) skills on Normal mode (Anet decide it). Proffession skill 5 swaps to Iron-man mode and on Iron man mode, toolbelt skills changes to one singular skill. Engineer throws all the overheated energy on enemy target. Like Spirit-Ball goku usesd in Dragon Ball Z.

Suit Examples: [Image 1] | [Image 2] | [Image 3]

EDIT: Dodge skill changes into Dash instead of regular roll on iron-man mode 😳

Based on our Discord chat, here's what I'd suggest (just for fun):

Engineer Elite Specialization: Exo

Equipped with experimental Charr-Asuran Exosuit technology developed by the new Pact, Exos are ace pilots that move effortlessly through the battlefield and crush their enemies to scrap. They wield a Focus to charge their Exosuit's battery, which they activate to unleash mighty attacks and absorb blows.

Specialization mechanic: Exosuit

Generate battery by absorbing attacks and dealing damage to enemies. When Exosuit is activated, gain access to a new set of weapon skills and use your battery as health until it is depleted or Exosuit is deactivated.

New skill type: Minion

Exos are able to control an array of mechanical companions that generate battery, attack and lock down their enemies, and even block or heal damage. Minions can be detonated for extra effects.

Basically the Exosuit would be like a Necromancer's Shroud and the minions would work similarly to Necro minions. However, there would be some distinct mechanical and flavor differences so make sure they don't feel like re-skinned Necros.

I'd suggest the weapon skills for the Exosuit to be most akin to Daredevil Staff skills, making it feels a bit like a Monk fighting with just hand-to-hand combat. It would be cool for it to inflict some conditions like Bleeding, Burning, and Confusion, so the focus would be a melee-oriented Condition Damage bruiser.

Focus skills 4+5 should charge the Exosuit's battery and provide boons, possibly with some defensive utility or CC. I think it would be cool for one of the skills to grant Aegis among other things, and for Aegis procs to be in the traits and minion skills. That way, you could have blocking attacks charge the Exosuit battery faster and allow for build choices like using a Shield.

Minions should have an effect on summon and an effect on detonation, encouraging decisions about how long to leave them up vs. the utility of detonation+resummon despite the downtime from the cooldown.

You could have traits and skills that convert cleansed conditions into Battery, provide Aegis to allies you grant Regen to, things like that.

What do you think?

Edited by Aalter.2950
Additional functionality

18 hours ago, Aalter.2950 said:

Based on our Discord chat, here's what I'd suggest (just for fun):

Engineer Elite Specialization: Exo

Equipped with experimental Charr-Asuran Exosuit technology developed by the new Pact, Exos are ace pilots that move effortlessly through the battlefield and crush their enemies to scrap. They wield a Focus to charge their Exosuit's battery, which they activate to unleash mighty attacks and absorb blows.

Specialization mechanic: Exosuit

Generate battery by absorbing attacks and dealing damage to enemies. When Exosuit is activated, gain access to a new set of weapon skills and use your battery as health until it is depleted or Exosuit is deactivated.

New skill type: Minion

Exos are able to control an array of mechanical companions that generate battery, attack and lock down their enemies, and even block or heal damage. Minions can be detonated for extra effects.

Basically the Exosuit would be like a Necromancer's Shroud and the minions would work similarly to Necro minions. However, there would be some distinct mechanical and flavor differences so make sure they don't feel like re-skinned Necros.

I'd suggest the weapon skills for the Exosuit to be most akin to Daredevil Staff skills, making it feels a bit like a Monk fighting with just hand-to-hand combat. It would be cool for it to inflict some conditions like Bleeding, Burning, and Confusion, so the focus would be a melee-oriented Condition Damage bruiser.

Focus skills 4+5 should charge the Exosuit's battery and provide boons, possibly with some defensive utility or CC. I think it would be cool for one of the skills to grant Aegis among other things, and for Aegis procs to be in the traits and minion skills. That way, you could have blocking attacks charge the Exosuit battery faster and allow for build choices like using a Shield.

Minions should have an effect on summon and an effect on detonation, encouraging decisions about how long to leave them up vs. the utility of detonation+resummon despite the downtime from the cooldown.

You could have traits and skills that convert cleansed conditions into Battery, provide Aegis to allies you grant Regen to, things like that.

What do you think?

Personally not a fan of it...

1. Shroud mechanics reads extremely similar to photon forge
  2. Offhand weapon, at least in the current state of engineer, is an absolute no go
  3. Minions mechanics.... again...... why does this keep getting suggested? Can people really not come up with anything else for engineer than "robot buddies"?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Minions mechanics.... again...... why does this keep getting suggested? Can people really not come up with anything else for engineer than "robot buddies"?

I am not a fan of minions/pets either.... When i play Mechanist engi, i feel like i am not the one doing any damage but it's all robot and everytime i use his skills, there is a short delay for him to change target and attack then there is him dying...

That's why I suggested a shroud engi, wears iron-man type of suits and a set of skills...

11 minutes ago, August.5934 said:

That's why I suggested a shroud engi, wears iron-man type of suits and a set of skills...

But this is also already very similar to a mechanic we already have with photon forge.... I just would prefer something that is truly new to our class.

For example, one mechanic I would be very interested in seeing on engineer next are ambush skills. Tinkering with your weapon to get access to a powerful attacks temporarily seems really fitting for engineer and it could even get used to revitalize some of our kits. Getting ambush skills not just for our actual weapons, but also weapon kits, would be really cool.

25 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

But this is also already very similar to a mechanic we already have with photon forge.... I just would prefer something that is truly new to our class.

For example, one mechanic I would be very interested in seeing on engineer next are ambush skills. Tinkering with your weapon to get access to a powerful attacks temporarily seems really fitting for engineer and it could even get used to revitalize some of our kits. Getting ambush skills not just for our actual weapons, but also weapon kits, would be really cool.

So you basically want Warrior & Thief playstyle mixed together in Engineer? 🤔. I do like warrior's burst but having an ambush skills mean having lots of option to go in stealth which will again lead to it's own nerf cause of grenade abusers. 

But non the less, i like warrior's burst skill quite alot and that is also why i suggested a spirit-bomb while in a iron-man mode. So every time you use the engi shroud skills, you build up heat and use that heat to attack like a burst bomb.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:04 PM, Ferikk.7829 said:

Prime Light Beam is another. 

Yea but that's no real thing compared to a Kamehameha 😳, it's not even long enough. it's instant. My idea is to also have a martial arts play style so it gives a feel of thrill and excitement.

Edited by August.5934

1 hour ago, August.5934 said:

I do like warrior's burst but having an ambush skills mean having lots of option to go in stealth which will again lead to it's own nerf cause of grenade abusers. 

Ambush skills don't need to get activated by stealth, in fact, just thief's stealth attacks work in that way.

Ambush skills were also given out to mirage and untamed, both having a different trigger for their ambushes than stealth. Mirage gets it from entering mirage cloak, which they can either through mirrors or their dodge. Untamed gets access to them by unleashing.

I would like to add some stealth to the spec, but how I envision it it would still have a fair bit of counterplay. How I personally envision the elite spec is as a "poison gas trapper" archetype. Imagine something like Viper from Valorant or Caustic from Apex Legends.

Someone who hides in gas clouds, can set up traps on the battlefield (I would go for preparation skills specifically for this spec, to prevent abuse of the trapper rune), attacks with acids and chemicals.

It would still represent the engineer/thief fusion, but if you want to spec into stealth than this is a) area restricted to the zones you control with your gas clouds and b) you would have to give up on some damage traits to do that.

The way to trigger the ambushes would be entering one of the gas clouds you produce (in my concept, they are called "chem-fogs"), but chem-fogs are just granting you stealth if you specifically trait for it while entering them will always give you the ambush attack (on a cooldown, of course).

I also specifically want this spec to reintroduce boon removal to engineer, because almost every form of it we had got removed over the last years (throw mine is the only skill still having it, not sure if that will even stay considering they already removed it from minefield). And boon removal has historically been tied thematically to acids for engineer (look up the no longer existing trait "Acidic Elixirs").

Edited by Kodama.6453

On 3/23/2023 at 12:38 PM, August.5934 said:

I am not a fan of minions/pets either.... When i play Mechanist engi, i feel like i am not the one doing any damage but it's all robot and everytime i use his skills, there is a short delay for him to change target and attack then there is him dying...

I was suggesting minions not primarily as a way to deal damage but as utility pets that play defensively. Minions are cool, people like them, and still the only profession that gets to access them is Necromancer (and Ele to a very tiny degree).

Making an Engineer that is based mechanically on Necromancer seems like a logical step for a new Elite spec, as most elite specs are designed as nods to the multiclassing in GW1.

But in my concept they would ideally play like Condi Daredevil more than actually playing like a Necro. There are plenty of other slot skills types you could use instead, the main concept is the shroud and I very much disagree that it's similar to Photon Forge, though if you think PF is too much like shroud that sort of kills for you the idea of ever doing a necro-engi spec in the future.

Also just want to point out that different ideas for future elite specs don't have to be mutually exclusive; you could have both!

If you would like to see a poison gas trapper with ambushes you can make a thread about it. Sounds cool!

On 3/23/2023 at 2:08 PM, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

I actually also kinda want engineer to have ambushes but also traps and a portal skill. 

They do need to give portals to more specs. Revenant should have one imo, as Thief and Mesmer do that would at least give one to each armor class.

Already saw this kind of class added to a previous game I played, it was the worst concept ever seen.

Also, I think the futuristic path is going a bit too fast; it's true that Gw2 has already gone a bit too far with tech thanks to Asuras and Jade, and it's true that there actually are golem battle suits already (like those worn in WvW or the Asura Power Suit), but an Iron-Man shooting lasers spec, considering that the suit probably wouldn't be dyable or customizable like Mechanist's mech or Bladesworn's gunsaber... just... naaah, I wouldn't like it. Sorry. Personal tastes I guess.

16 minutes ago, Aalter.2950 said:

though if you think PF is too much like shroud that sort of kills for you the idea of ever doing a necro-engi spec in the future.

An engineer/necromancer dual classing elite spec does not necessarily have to use the shroud mechanic.

Spellbreaker specifically got mentioned by Anet to be the warrior/mesmer fusion, yet they don't have the shatter mechanic. In that version of the concept, it is a thematical approach to the dual classing. "How would a warrior do mesmer things?" was the leading question and their answer was that they would be able to see through illusions and shatter them with training and sheer will.

Another example: Dragonhunter, reprenting the guardian/ranger dual classing. It represents the hunting aspects of the ranger with the longbow, traps and the virtues (like the spear, which becomes a hunting tool to pull prey into the traps). Yet there is no pet to be found.

If you want an engineer/necromancer spec, that is entirely possible without relying on the shroud mechanic.

38 minutes ago, Val.7826 said:

I don't agree with ambushes and portals, but traps could be interesting

Why not ambushes, if I may ask?

Think of them as the engineer modifying their weapons/ammunition for a powerful attack. That seems pretty in theme for me.

2 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Why not ambushes, if I may ask?

Think of them as the engineer modifying their weapons/ammunition for a powerful attack. That seems pretty in theme for me.

Ammonitions modifying sounds cool and thematic, but I don't understand how this could be considered an ambush mechanic.

I feel ambushes more like a character action then an item action, thief shadowsteps for example, where is your character that moves and act, and not a projectile or a weapon or a minion or a trap. Since I don't like the engineer with a massively dynamic style, I feel like to prefer a more stationary gameplay on that, that's why I can appreciate traps and other kind of weapon control, but not physical ambushes.

Back to the previous post I wish to say that I disagree with portals not because I don't think they wouldn't fit on an engineer, but just because I think it's not necessary to add another leather class with portals; still, if ANet add portals on the engineer, I wouldn't complain.

59 minutes ago, Val.7826 said:

Ammonitions modifying sounds cool and thematic, but I don't understand how this could be considered an ambush mechanic.

I feel ambushes more like a character action then an item action, thief shadowsteps for example, where is your character that moves and act, and not a projectile or a weapon or a minion or a trap. Since I don't like the engineer with a massively dynamic style, I feel like to prefer a more stationary gameplay on that, that's why I can appreciate traps and other kind of weapon control, but not physical ambushes.

Back to the previous post I wish to say that I disagree with portals not because I don't think they wouldn't fit on an engineer, but just because I think it's not necessary to add another leather class with portals; still, if ANet add portals on the engineer, I wouldn't complain.

I think we might have some miscommunication here.

What I mean with ambush is the actual game mechanic of ambush skills. The type which temporarily replaces your auto attack on a weapon with a new skill, which can get triggered in different ways. Thieves get their ambush skills (aka stealth attacks) when they enter stealth. Mirages get their ambush skills when they are affected by mirage cloak (which they get either through dodging or touching a mirror). Untameds get their ambush skills when they unleash.

So basically, I want engineer to get a mechanic which swaps out the auto attack on the equipped weapon (or kit!!!) with a new attack temporarily. Here are some example how some engineer ambush skills could work:

• rifle: the engineer loads a highly explosive shell into their rifle. The next shot will explode in a big area, dealing massive power damage and ripping boons from every enemy caught in the detonation.
  • pistol: the engineer modifies their pistol to be a machine pistol for a few seconds. The ambush is a channelled attack of piercing bullets which will apply torment and bleeding on all enemies hit.
  • elixir gun: the engineer loads a drainage into their elixir gun and fires it at an enemy. The enemy hit will stack bleeding once every second for the next x seconds while all of the engineers allies are healed around them (similar to how druid staff 2 works).

About the portals: I personally don't like to get portals added to engineer. Not because of thematic, it would definitely fit thematically, but because the gameplay applications are just too niche. The big majority of portals which are already in the game are simply never used....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodama.6453 said:

I think we might have some miscommunication here.

What I mean with ambush is the actual game mechanic of ambush skills. The type which temporarily replaces your auto attack on a weapon with a new skill, which can get triggered in different ways. Thieves get their ambush skills (aka stealth attacks) when they enter stealth. Mirages get their ambush skills when they are affected by mirage cloak (which they get either through dodging or touching a mirror). Untameds get their ambush skills when they unleash.

So basically, I want engineer to get a mechanic which swaps out the auto attack on the equipped weapon (or kit!!!) with a new attack temporarily. Here are some example how some engineer ambush skills could work:

• rifle: the engineer loads a highly explosive shell into their rifle. The next shot will explode in a big area, dealing massive power damage and ripping boons from every enemy caught in the detonation.
  • pistol: the engineer modifies their pistol to be a machine pistol for a few seconds. The ambush is a channelled attack of piercing bullets which will apply torment and bleeding on all enemies hit.
  • elixir gun: the engineer loads a drainage into their elixir gun and fires it at an enemy. The enemy hit will stack bleeding once every second for the next x seconds while all of the engineers allies are healed around them (similar to how druid staff 2 works).

About the portals: I personally don't like to get portals added to engineer. Not because of thematic, it would definitely fit thematically, but because the gameplay applications are just too niche. The big majority of portals which are already in the game are simply never used....

Ok now I got it. In this way yeah, it could totally fit and could be a nice addition, I'm in.

I can agree about portals too, absolutely unnecessary and used basically only in JP, where they are nice, but 2 spec with those are enough.