Did weekly reward change your play style?

Solvar.7953

The way I play WvW has drastically changed. As I am still unlocking skins with reward tracks, I highly appreciate the extra potions from the weeklies. I do not really care about the extra tickets and the gold though.

I check the weekly tasks several times a week and try to chain more weekly tasks in my dailies. I play very early in the morning where daily-tasks can be quite difficult to complete. So I normally tried to take as few camps as possible and only kill 1 Dolyak and left, even if the camp had two and was unguarded. Just because the next player also would have the opportunity to get their dailies done.

The weeklies demand a fixed number of Dolyaks and Camps, so when I come across a free one, it is mine now. Even if my daily task was already fulfilled.

In order to get more dailies done, I also try to farm extra exp. The goal is to leave WvW with my WXP bar as full as possible. If the next day is Daily World Ranker, I can save leveling items - which I buy from gizmos and exchange for guild commendations.

Both effects in combination speed up my WvW rank gain significantly. I level almost twice as fast as before. Just because I try to spend my time in WvW, during my daily routine, as efficient as possible.

When I play the game-mode on the weekends, I visit EB more often a lot these days. I got dragged into EB for the weekly SMC claim, obviously. But I also consider it my best chance to get the 50 kills quickly. Either EB or someone linking an EWP in /team.

In addition, I noticed that I play more offensive now. I attack more players and assist more allies. And I also focus on tagging as many enemy players as possible. 

When I am on a map with an active commander or an invisible squad, I often run through all the big objectives and kill 1 guard. So when the squad happens to take that objective, I get my participation and progress for the weeklies. When I am closer to finishing the weekly camps, I also do it with camps. It is a cheap strategy, but it works quite well. 

In conclusion, the introduction of the weeklies had an impact on the way I play WvW. In short I would say I play more focused than before and try to spend my time there more efficiently. I've also reduced my active weekly WvW time by 1/3 as a (for me) positive side-effect.. 

2 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

You know if it were anything PvE it would be at least 2g per achievement (except maybe for 5 ruins but then again 2g in one week is barely anything) or 26g+ for all the weeklies... see raids and strikes. It is far less of a problem now that objective scaling was added though but it is important to note kills, camps, dolyaks, and ruins are not part of objective scaling.
SMC, keep, and tower cap all are affected by objective scaling as are keep and tower defense.

One thing to note is tower defense is extremely finnicky and for some reason memories of battle aren't distributed instead of resonating slivers.

Possibly but I also worry that if Anet were to make the gold rewards too high you'd have more PvE players (who hate WvW more than I hate PvE) "infecting" the game-mode. I have no problem with PvE-centric players joining in WvW to experience it, but I have a disdain for the players who consistently announce how much they hate WvW while they're out playing in WvW.

And regarding tower defense, ironically I've had far more success this week getting credit for defending towers than I have defending keeps.  Thus far, in 6 tower defenses I've gotten credit for all 6. Meanwhile, in 8 keep defenses (in 7 out of 8 instances the attacking party was able to breech inner and attack the keep lord) where I've gotten several kills during each defense, I've gotten credit for 1 keep defense thus far. I've honestly given up trying to make sense of what does or doesn't determine credit for the tower/keep defenses; I just enjoy the fights in those instances...unless it's 5v50...then not so much.

I should probably also mention that I acquired all 3 sets of the WvW legendary armor ages ago, so I haven't really paid any attention to the extra Skirmish tickets or Grandmaster shards. I have 10s of thousands of the former and hundreds of the latter, so I fall into the category of player who wishes Anet would give us something else to spend the kitten things on!!

Edited by Ronin.4501
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ronin.4501 said:

but I have a disdain for the players who consistently announce how much they hate WvW while they're out playing in WvW.

I mean, that's what regular flame rams/arrow carts are for.

Also you'd lose 95% of Youtube roaming montages with crappy music. Wait....

In all seriousness, blocking is best. Anyone that's dumb enough to come here just for gold and to whine  (even if it were 2x more) isn't  going to follow any semblance of logic and best given a free trip back to spawn asap.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I guess it depends on the server but my server always was more of a PPT server but at least on home they used to appreciate those calls. Now I'm not saying that nobody cares but there need to be certain guilds online on the home map for that to be the case. I mean, what can you do when you call out that a t3 tower is attacked by 10-15 enemies with catas and the two tags don't care because they're trying to cap a t1 keep (and ultimately failing to do so)? 🤷‍♂️

So I've stopped playing as a scout now because it's just not appreciated much and if people don't respond to your calls, then what's the point? It's just frustrating. In 3 weeks I'll have my second Conflux done. Once that's done I think I'll take a break from WvW.

I wish I could say transfer to Deso but alas... As Mabi stated we try to respond to as many calls as possible but when you're facing multiple threats on multiple maps running at most two community tags sans-voice something has to be forfeited. Nightly manic defending is exhausting.

Good luck with your second, I'm dealing with some burn out after having made Aurora, Vision and 2 x Conflux in the past two months.

A few things have changed:

-  to get 50 kills a week, I have to join a commander
- with ANet's mindless nerf to repairs not contributing to a defense event, I have to join larger groups or a commander to get either the keep defense or offense weekly
- SMC was the one I have skipped before, nothing changes
- tower defense I don't have enough in two weeks, to finish one week's quota, so that's very unlikely to go for actively

2 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

A few things have changed:

-  to get 50 kills a week, I have to join a commander

Well, you don't need to join them, running along with them will do the trick. I get a lot of kills when defending keeps or SMC because a lot of times there will be a commander there and I build siege and I can damage a lot of people wit ACs. Having your own siege with you helps because the siege you build you can take over from anyone using it as well.

- with ANet's mindless nerf to repairs not contributing to a defense event, I have to join larger groups or a commander to get either the keep defense or offense weekly

I get the keep defense fairly easily, but the tower defense is harder because the interest in defending towers has waned.

- SMC was the one I have skipped before, nothing changes

Yeah you have to be lucky to get that one essentially depending on your server and time (when you play).

- tower defense I don't have enough in two weeks, to finish one week's quota, so that's very unlikely to go for actively

Yeah this is the one I have a hard time completing. Haven't completed it yet this week. What it will need is to be lucky, because as I said towers aren't that rewarding to defend.

Edited by Gehenna.3625