Why has everyone begun private Roleplaying suddenly?

I recently returned to the game, and was eager to try and find some EU Roleplayers at the places I was used to them congregating, AKA : Bars, taverns, the like. Unfortunately, I would go in either in the evening, or late evenings, and every time I'd see no one. I would see people in guilds that do Roleplay, but when asked about it, they state they stick to Guild Hall or Instanced Roleplay only. I can't understand why the sudden shift from open RP where anyone and everyone could join, to this strange isolationist stance, as it makes it virtually impossible for new RP'ers that are eager to join in, like I was, to do so. Even my old RP group has gone to focus on doing Instanced RP only, and anytime suggestions of new people are made, they refuse to let them come, or get angry if a new person is inadvertently brought in. 

To make matters more difficult, many do discord RP in private servers too, making it nigh impossible to keep up with what they think are 'current events'. I am someone that enjoys Roleplaying actively, rather than assuming XX knows what is happening to another char even though Out of character I'd have no clue, or that XX finished a task ages ago but it was never conveyed or talked about being finished, and just left hanging. Maybe I'm weird, but I like details, and being informed, rather than relying on assumptions.

What made people resort to this? Should I just give up on RP entirely or even just switch to NA, even if that makes it that I have to rely on weekends to be able to be available for RP?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

This reminds me that I encountered somebody in a different game, hanging out in a tavern behind the bar and moving in tiny bits. Hours later I came back to that tavern and only now my consciousness noticed him. I knew he was RPing and just waiting for people, any opportunity. There were a lot of people, but nobody was RPing/noticing him.

Of course I did it right away, yet my character idea was something entirely else and there was actually no reason for me to be there. It was short and I was left with a guilty feeling.

I don't really know why I mention this or still carry with me.

Yet what I can say is that although not bound to organized RP, there are self-generated opportunities, mostly spontaneous, be it brief: You can walk up to any player and RP comment on their task, often with humor involved making the situation quite creative even allowing OOC elements. Same goes with spreading some ambience in map chat or during PvE-events.

The problem is just it has to be honest, sometimes quick enough. Guild Wars 2 is very fast-paced.

Organized RP takes time and space, enough clarity and calm. Open RP, the most beautiful form, is hardly a given anywhere nowadays since Discord has been floating around, especially the ego that automatically comes with hierarchy.

I feel like the magic of RP shifted from a spontaneous, unattached, funny task to a way of narcissism, the feeling of being seen, the moment of opening up to each other, connection, resemblances of intimacy, the craft of writing.
The most creative stuff I've ever seen, and experienced within myself, only happened during open world RP & when you suddenly did something entirely else than what an organized event requested.

Edited by Nethertale.9301
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2023 at 9:06 AM, Kay Trenton.7368 said:

I can't understand why the sudden shift from open RP where anyone and everyone could join, to this strange isolationist stance, as it makes it virtually impossible for new RP'ers that are eager to join in, like I was, to do so.

I assume role-players might have been harassed and insulted and had enough of it, so that's why? The toxicity within the GW2 playerbase has increased even more lately, that is my impression at least.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2