Axe throw is unfairly unreliable in pvp.

Title.

Axe throw seems to rely on an archaic tracking system that leads it to miss frequently, even when in range. It seems to be unable to account for all number or minor divergences from flat ground between you and your target (like mild inclines or stairs) and often whiffs on even slightly strafing opponents. Most new projectiles (and some old ones) dont have this level of inconsistency.

It's the only ranged option on axe. It shouldn't be such a gamble when you have to account for blind/weakness/etc. Its an unneccesary added level of frustration. 

Rework/tracking adjustment pls? Thanks.

• Like 3

Its an issue with pretty much every low-velocity projectile in-game. Which I never understood why the devs haven't refined its tracking, since having ranged skills that's only reliable at point-blank defeats the purpose of it.

Edited by cyberzombie.7348
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Yeah that's really annoying, esp since AS is your main offensive skill on gunsaber. It's pretty useless outside 600 range (and even then it can be unreliable).

I basically only use it in close to melee range because of how often it misses

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Yeah that's really annoying, esp since AS is your main offensive skill on gunsaber. It's pretty useless outside 600 range (and even then it can be unreliable).

What's frustrating is the tracking used to be fine. Change the cast time to a half sec and double the velocity.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 9:03 PM, prototypedragon.1406 said:

jump before doing axe throw

i've always done this! i've also always done this with blade trail and some other skills. i don't really know why i do it, it just feels smoother.

i can't say it increases the range, might just be a change in perception. 🤔

it really does feel smoother when doing it while jumping.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, eXruina.4956 said:

i've always done this! i've also always done this with blade trail and some other skills. i don't really know why i do it, it just feels smoother.

i can't say it increases the range, might just be a change in perception. 🤔

it really does feel smoother when doing it while jumping.

Its very easy to test so maybe ill do that next time i log on.

I belive it does increase the range like any other form of elevation. But the most useful part of jumping the cast is to change the angle it launches and thus the path it takes.

That way you can hit past certain obstacles. Especially for bladetrail this is necessary in order for the blade not to be eaten by the tiny railing in front of you.

Result of tests.

Range = distance from target from top down bird view.

1. Jumping does not increase range.

2.Minor Elevation, big rocks, in general has an insignificant or no effect on range.

3. The range indicator lies. For every skill melee or ranged. At least for non AoE skills, see 4.

4. AoE effects like LB 3 or Ranger LB 5 banners etc. have not the same range as projectiles of the same range. (except dagger 5 Ranger seems to be different shorter)

5. Bladetrail GS4 is not a projectile and behaves like an AoE.

Same goes for shieldbash and stomp (short) but not for GS5 wich had the same range as 1200 projctile thanks to sweet spot of last part (almost a teleport ^^) This ofc only triggers when a target is in range. So for movement its also the short range version.

PS: I forgot to test bullscharge but my feel is that bullscharge has 2× range of shieldbash 2x450 = 900 so prob similar.

The point about avoiding obstacles by changing flight path still holds true ofc.

I tested warrior axe LB and rifle and Ranger axe and LB.

Edited by Alabastrum.9361
Did the test.
  • Like 1

Honestly if it wasn't for the bloated numbers from the cane in pve the canesworn wouldn't have firm ground at all let alone see much play. Kinda me guessing that they were the accused of being too strong in terms of pve. It is still quite silly though seeing a melee class stick itself to a spot when the game has been about movement based combat for more then a decade now. But I guess if it is npcs standing in red rings works 2 I guess 🤷‍♂️ it is kinda odd when berserker is meant to be the hardest hitting spec of warrior in terms of power and condition damage so one would think their attacks would hit harder then that of a bladesworn. But a bladesworn would be more about timing and quicker attack speed rather then big hits that have a chance of missing. It is kinda interesting that the berserker espec in a way makes a warrior appear as it has more focus on it's attacks rather then full on powerful swings that are more risky to hit to compensate for the higher damage considering it is generally a rage mode. Where as the bladesworn is suppose to concentrate I guess but whiffs like a apprentice picking up their first stick and making sword swishing sounds 🤔

• Haha 1

This goes back long before bladesworn, warriors been rooted since 2012 and has always had detractors for one thing or another. Did I mention bladesworn  or warrior?  It's gaslighting like above that's killing the warrior... everyone's a comic. Why don't you do your thing and I'll do mine, that way your nose hairs won't burn everytime I whiff.

Edited by Widebody.5071
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm just meaning that for a melee based class anet likes to make us stand around a lot. If the bladesworn didn't have to stand in red circles while it charges its kham mi ha I would give it a chance on the use ability ladder, it's stuck in the mud like swords burst skill just as a example, and it is quite clear the ones that designed it never even touched a warrior in gw2. The samurai aspect is interesting but for 10 long years people often move to fight at least in competitive modes unless they are ranged and we all know warriors speciality on being a ranged combatant. Where pve it is just spank and tank in most cases. It was kinda like they dug out the leftover refuse and Elmer's glued it to warrior  when they made canesworn😂.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Widebody.5071 said:

Now I feel like butthead... and it's all my fault. my apologies sir I have no excuse. You are a well knowlegded person who brings plenty of insight into the game and the play style of warrior.  

I am sorry that I spoke to you way the way I did.

It is all good, as warriors we all share in our collective frustration of what we can hope warrior could do  and improve upon but until anet releases more chains off of  us  it is a uphill battle, and our over lords have left us with alot of uncertainty over the past several years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1