when does the greed stop?

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

You can buy legendary weapons for cash on the NA and EU servers, too.

For example, Bolt is currently on the TP for 2,099 gold. Spend about $108 for gems, and it's yours.

Though, no, it doesn't. I can also craft Zojja's Blade, exact same power level, for about 31 gold, a very easy to earn sum in game.

Oh crap, are legendaries tradeable after they've been crafted?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 6

4 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

But spending $15 bucks a month on gems doesn't unlock the same features that a sub would unlock if GW2 was on a sub model, which is why your suggestion doesn't work. 

Yes it does.  If the the expansions are not on offer for gems. then spend your $15 bucks a month on expansions. Now you have everything you would have with a sub AND you never have to pay a sub to access that content in the future. 

You seem to be arguing that you would pay $180 a year for a sub, but wont pay $25 a year on average on expansions (?!) + get ALL content for free on top for evermore.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

They've earn engagement from the player grinding the gold. That itself holds a value.

I tried taking "Engagement" to the bank one time ... but they wouldn't give me money for it.

The question you were asked wasn't if engagement has value. You were asked if you think Anet earns money from players grinding gold. The answer to that isn't "they earn engagement" ... The answer to that is ... NO, they don't. You're just deflecting the discussion because you know the current business model works and no matter how much you hate it, admitting it's a fair way for Anet to interact with patronizing customers that has been successful puts a serious dent in your argument against the GS. 

It's evident there is some bad acting here if you are are suggesting the value of engagement is somehow comparable to actual money. Like, I've yet to see a business be successful because tire kickers come in for a look. If they aren't spending money, then their value as customers is the lowest level. The amusing part is that it seems somehow you convinced yourself these no-value "customers" are the people Anet should be listening to. 

See, the problem with the thread is that the greed never started. It's just some entitled people who think Anet is one of those 'evil' corporations because "money before people". The worst part is that many of those people can't see that their ability to play this game is subsidized by the people that do pay for things in the game. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I tried taking "Engagement" to the bank one time ... but they wouldn't give me money for it.

The question you were asked wasn't if engagement has value. You were asked if you think Anet earns money from players grinding gold. The answer to that isn't "they earn engagement" ... The answer to that is ... NO, they don't. You're just deflecting the discussion because you know the current business model works and no matter how much you hate it, admitting it's a fair way for Anet to interact with patronizing customers that has been successful puts a serious dent in your argument against the GS. 

It's evident there is some bad acting here if you are are suggesting the value of engagement is somehow comparable to actual money. Like, I've yet to see a business be successful because tire kickers come in for a look. If they aren't spending money, then their value as customers is the lowest level. The amusing part is that it seems somehow you convinced yourself these no-value "customers" are the people Anet should be listening to. 

See, the problem with the thread is that the greed never started. It's just some entitled people who think Anet is one of those 'evil' corporations because "money before people". The worst part is that many of those people can't see that their ability to play this game is subsidized by the people that do pay for things in the game. 

Anet's business model is literally to get people to log into their game servers, and play their game. Literally user engagement. Welcome to how online businesses work. 

• Confused 11
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Anet's business model is literally to get people to log into their game servers, and play their game. Literally user engagement. 

Again, no one accepts 'engagement' as payment. It's not a currency.  GW2 business model is more complicated that just people logging in and playing. You (again) ignore the part where people have to actually to purchase items in their GS for the business to work. Again, people that kick the tires ... no value customers. 

Again, you suggesting the value of engagement is somehow comparable to actual money ... is absurd and stated in bad faith to ignore the point being made to you. The question was not if engagement has value to the game. The question was how does Anet make money from people grinding for gold. The answer is ... they don't.

The sad part is that you don't see the contradiction where you state engagement has all this value that we should be considering in our thinking about the existences of the GS ... but you are going to ignore that value when you suggest GW2 forcing everyone into a sub-based model, regardless of how much they are engaged with the game. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

I mean 2k gold is what a couple hundred bucks right? But if it saves me months of my precious time then I think it's definitely worth it.

Put the money where your mouth is and post a vid of you doing it (buying gems, converting to gold and buying leggies), I'm rooting for you here!
Keep in mind that this is in no way sarcastic, I simply hope you are indeed a man of your word.

Edited by Sobx.1758
his -> your
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Again, no one accepts 'engagement' as payment. It's not a currency.  GW2 business model is more complicated that just people logging in and playing. You (again) ignore the part where people have to actually to purchase items in their GS for the business to work. Again, people that kick the tires ... no value customers. 

Again, you suggesting the value of engagement is somehow comparable to actual money ... is absurd and stated in bad faith to ignore the point being made to you. The question was not if engagement has value to the game. The question was how does Anet make money from people grinding for gold. The answer is ... they don't.

The sad part is that you don't see the contradiction where you state engagement has all this value that we should be considering in our thinking about the existences of the GS ... but you are going to ignore that value when you suggest GW2 forcing everyone into a sub-based model.

Going back to the initial comment that started this particular conversation, ArenaNet does make money from players spending gold to get gems.

If there weren't players participating on that side of the gold/gem economy, it would break down and players wouldn't bother spending real money on gems in order to get gold. In that case, ANet gets less revenue.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Put the money where your mouth is and post a vid of you doing it (buying gems, converting to gold and buying leggies), I'm rooting for you here!
Keep in mind that this is in no way sarcastic, I simply hope you are indeed a man of your word.

For what reason? To see who spends more on GW2? You sort of lost me here my friend.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Going back to the initial comment that started this particular conversation, ArenaNet does make money from players spending gold to get gems.

If there weren't players participating on that side of the gold/gem economy, it would break down and players wouldn't bother spending real money on gems in order to get gold. In that case, ANet gets less revenue.

Let's be clear here. The cost to purchase gems with RL money is fixed and not impacted by whatever economy exists for gold/gem conversion. 

Where the gold conversion does impact Anet revenues is because they give players choice to use gold conversion to forgo having to spend RL money on gems. 

So how does Anet make money from gold conversion if is an alternative to spending RL money? Max revenues occur when 100% of people spend RL money for gems. Any gold conversion only degrades those revenues. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Yeah pretty much this.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

For what reason? To see who spends more on GW2? You sort of lost me here my friend.

For the reason that you said it's a good value and "one less thing for you to grind for" and for now all it is are empty words. Nothing to do with whatever competition you're trying to imply here.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

For the reason that you said it's a good value and "one less thing for you to grind for".

I think it is a good value, as it would save me a lot of time. It would take only a few minutes to buy 2k gold, then buy a leggo off the TP, compared to months of grinding. That's just a factual statement.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

The game is definitely pay2win. You open your wallet and can deck your char to almost max power lvl within minutes. Its the definition of p2win and technically no different to lets say Diablo Immortal. In Diablo you can also get everything for free technically. 

The difference is with paying you just bought yourself a few days of gameplay while in Diablo you would need many many years. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

2 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

I think it is a good value, as it would save me a lot of time. It would take only a few minutes to buy 2k gold, then buy a leggo off the TP, compared to months of grinding. That's just a factual statement.

Hence: show us how it's done, please 😄  Until you actually do it, it's not "a factual statement" ("one less grind for me"), but just empty words.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

Just now, Cuks.8241 said:

The game is definitely pay2win. You open your wallet and can deck your char to almost max power lvl within minutes. Its the definition of p2win and technically no different to lets say Diablo Immortal. In Diablo you can also get everything for free technically. 

The difference is with paying you just bought yourself a few days of gameplay while in Diablo you would need many many years. 

really? this is not pay to win, pay to win is well defined.  Pay to win refers to games that punish those that do not buy from the shop.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

You want me to show you up to buy gold using the TP? Well, the good news is GW2 has a wiki that can show you.

No, I want you to show you're doing what you said you'll be doing, not sure how that's still unclear. Or is it just that backpedalling already began? 😉

Anyways... can't wait to see the purchase, thanks for supporting the game and have fun.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

really? this is not pay to win, pay to win is well defined.  Pay to win refers to games that punish those that do not buy from the shop.

You get "punished" with needing to play more time. Same as Diablo Immortal. 

And you definitely get punished with lack of qol, artificial problems for which you can buy solutions. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4