Why don't we have the ability to lock inventory bags?

So that we have a 'safekeep' bag that items cannot be dismantled, sorted or interacted with by any of the default game options.

These items can only be manually clicked and moved by the mouse cursor or equipped by the inventory screen.

Its frustrating sorting your inventory out cleanly only to accidently click 'sort' and have all your armor and weapons for a second specialization, Crafting Insignias/Inscriptions, get mixed into your bag.

Also an option to 'auto open' any bag items that you aquire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Valkys.2540 said:

So that we have a 'safekeep' bag that items cannot be dismantled, sorted or interacted with by any of the default game options.

These items can only be manually clicked and moved by the mouse cursor or equipped by the inventory screen.

Its frustrating sorting your inventory out cleanly only to accidently click 'sort' and have all your armor and weapons for a second specialization, Crafting Insignias/Inscriptions, get mixed into your bag.

Also an option to 'auto open' any bag items that you aquire.

Use Invisible Bags? 

• Thanks 10

You need to get the right type of bag for the items you want to save, or invisible bags as a universal version. You can also disable the compact button if you want to keep everything where you put it, so you don't accidentally move stuff.

There's a list of all the different types on the Wiki, and the page also details how to get different ones: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bag

An invisible bag would be a good starting point for you, anything in them is hidden from merchant sell menus and the TP, won't move when you click the condense button and won't be salvaged when you pick the 'salvage all' options on kits. I recommend putting it at the bottom of your inventory, so drops don't go in there unless all the other spaces are empty.

You can also get bags which will automatically sort items by type - like ones for junk, equipment, crafting materials etc. so items you pick up will go into that bag first and won't move when you press the compact button.

I have an invisible bag at the bottom of my inventory where I keep anything I don't want to lose, then an oiled bag for junk items, then an Olmakhan bag for containers, then some normal bags. That way I can easily ignore the junk and containers until I've sorted everything else out (I pretty much ignore the junk entirely, I just sell it to a merchant when I see one) which makes sorting whatever is left much quicker.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/6/2023 at 6:54 PM, Endaris.1452 said:

You can disable that cursed button in your options.

Just wanted to say thank you for pointing this out, I hadn't realized you could disable that darn thing.

I've been using invisible bags for organizing on several of my characters, but not all of them and that Compact button just got me.  I understand its utility, I just wish I found that disable option sooner. 

22 minutes ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

Given that I have played since launch, I more or less took all this stuff for granted. Is inventory management so poorly explained to newer players that it leads someone to to make a "why can't we?" post about something we absolutely do have?

I think the way GW2 does it is fairly unique. Most games I've played have an option in a menu somewhere to lock either individual items or inventory bags, rather than having special types of bags, or they don't have that function at all and just expect you to keep track of what you want to keep (which isn't as much of a problem when you can reload a saved game if you realise you messed up).

So I can imagine some people try right-clicking the item or bag looking for a lock option, or look for something in the inventory settings and when they don't see it there just assume this is one of the games where it's not an option.

You get an invisible bag from the first level 30 storyline, which will introduce the concept to players but I suspect some people want to lock/hide items before then and others won't realise how it works at first, especially if they only put account bound items in there.

• Like 2