Open Market for the High End

@Game of Bones.8975 said:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:So the tl;dr is that you want to buy the HoT legendaries? I can get behind that.

I wonder why Gen 1 are available for sale but Gen 2 are not? I've read so many posts trying to wrap my little brain around it, but so far no one has come up with a good sound reason.

Its because the games needs long term goals. Now we have choice, buyable legendaries for those that wanty such a thing (bit of a contradiction imo), and legendaries that reward those that seek out long running objectives. I dont agree with the old legendaries being buyable for cash but i can live with it, and I agree that the new legendaires provide MUCH needed long term mmorpg goals. I would be mighty pissed off if my journey to get my prestiges legendary X was suddenly devalued byAnet allowing other to simply buy it with cash.

Just my two cents, I think not having the legendaries able to be sold/bought is fine. My only wish is the precursor sellable, as I do not feel like following Anet's carrot threw things that I have done 1000x already, before the thought of possibly getting another legendary. Options, should always be options.

Clink Clink

Someone is crafting each Legendary that is put up for sale. It's not like they are a line item in the gem store. (Which I would be against)

I want to help someone earn gold for something they may already want to do anyway, but have no need/want for that specific Gen 2 weapon. That's called an economy; you have something I'm willing to pay a specific amount for. If I have the gold and am willing to part with it for what you are asking I can either accept your price or counter-offer (that's negotiating). The TP is a blind-auction in that items are put up for sale, the seller puts a minimum value on that item, and when that price is met the transaction is made.

That's it... bottom line. Some people like the adventure of crafting stuff. Others like farming mats and selling them in the TP.

If you can't tell how a person obtained an item, how come so many of people are jealous of how they came about it? How does another person walking around with the same weapon as you cheapen the value of what you have? You can't sell it or trade it. Yours only adds value to your account and a visual to those around you. Whether I have one or not makes no difference to your account at all.

@YoukiNeko.6047 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@Nemo.5609 said:The problem here is not that Gen 2 legendaries can't be sold, it's that Gen 1 legendaries can be sold on the TP.

Nope.With Gen1 everybody but haters was happy.
  1. You can buy from tp
  2. You can sell from tp
  3. You can do your legendary path to get your precursor
  4. You can buy your precursor from TP

Nobody was harmed by this system except as said, haters ( or those who consider a "prestige" to farm for the steps needed to achieve Gen2 leggies ).

Gen2 force you in different ways
  1. You can't farm in order to sell for golds
  2. You can't farm in order to buy with golds
  3. You are forced to own HoT in order to craft one

Some people love having everything come down to farming gold. Some don't. Some think that games don't need prestige items; some do. Some people think "legendaries" should be a big deal and represent commitment to the game; some don't.

That's got nothing to do with "haters." It's just different preferences for what makes a game enjoyable.

No dude, it's hating since you don't want alternative.

Player A is ok if player B do his own legendary run to get the Legendary item.Player B is not ok if Players A buy the same legendary from Player C throug TP.

The point is simple.Some do complain about other who has a chance to get what they worked on for a trade

And guess what, they didn't dupe golds! they happened to play and earn em!PS: And maybe they didn't direcly farm gold at all, but resources, or sell runs, or playing TP, or got lucky with MF, or RNG drop, or convert gems.

No dude, it's not hating; it's preference.
  • Player A prefers a game with prestige items that can't be bought using a credit card.
  • Player B prefers a game in which there aren't any prestige items — that doesn't mean they are hating on the first player

And guess what? Player B can still still sell the mats needed for Gen 2 legendaries. And guess what? Those mats go up in price every time there's a new legendary.

The point is simple: there are a lot of players in the game. They don't all have the same interests. Sometimes, there's no way to accommodate differing preferences in the same reward system. That's why it's good that there's a variety of rewards in the game, some that can be traded at will, and some that cannot. That allows both Player A to have their restricted prestige items and Player B to obtain things (or sell them) via trade. Just not on the same items.

But what if Player C wants to get Gen 2 legendary, but he dislikes HoT. With Gen 1 he could just go and buy it from the TP. But he can't do the same with Gen 2.

Anyway I'm for all items to be trade-able. (Death to the soul/account bound items.)

There is no factual truth about what a legendary is supposed to be, those that implement it can decide.Anet apparently decided it should be seen as a item that shows your commitement in obtaining it, so that's what it is.

@TexZero.7910 said:

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:The reason is that Anet felt that it should be that way. The real question is why Anet feels that way.

Because Gen 1 had no prestige associated with it and the metrics likely showed that the people who had gen 1's didnt craft them but rather farmed gold (or RMT'd) to get them.

Gen 2+ is meant to showcase a dedication to playing the game and a willful investment on the part of the player to dedicate themselves to an item they feel like having, not one they feel like flipping.

Indeed, dedication. But with measure. Not how much as you want. Dedication as much as ANet wants.

What I mean?Although I displayed my dedication when crafting Nevermore / Chuka & Champawat / The Shining Blade (arghhhhr - what a "legendary" journey here), ANet stopped me to craft another one of these weapons. I have 5 characters using staff, 2 using shortbows and 6 using swords. And despite the fact I cannot sell such Legendary (for OP - I consider this aspect to be OK) and because of the costs and the length of the crafting process you make the decision to craft another one taking a lot of factors into consideration (so you not craft a Legendary by mistake), ANet is not allowing to make more of the same legendary on the same account.

I agree with the question "why ANet feels that way?"

Conclusion: Be dedicated but not too much. Only as much as ANet allows you.

Funny :-)) ANet controls every single aspect of the game - the economic aspect / fun aspect / play-ability aspect. Now I found that even the player dedication is under ANet control. And, contrary with what we can believe, ANet is not wanting full dedicated players. They want limited dedicated players :/ . LOL ?

@MarkoNS.3261 said:gen 2 legendaries are bound so you cant swipe your mothers credit card and buy them, negating the effort of players getting them legitimately. and if you cant put in the effort to make them you dont deserve them.

Then why are gold farmers allowed to buy gems and with them stuff from the gem store? They didn't earn the money IRL, so they don't really deserve the items.And then again using 20 alts to farm wood and mithril is not exactly LEGENDARY adventure needing effort on the player side. Given that some people had the new legendary weapons one or two days after they were released, I bet the gold farmers put lot of effort boting for the mats,

Pretty much what @CharterforGw.3149 said is why Gen 2 are like they currently are.

@CharterforGw.3149 said:

@YoukiNeko.6047 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@Nemo.5609 said:The problem here is not that Gen 2 legendaries can't be sold, it's that Gen 1 legendaries can be sold on the TP.

Nope.With Gen1 everybody but haters was happy.
  1. You can buy from tp
  2. You can sell from tp
  3. You can do your legendary path to get your precursor
  4. You can buy your precursor from TP

Nobody was harmed by this system except as said, haters ( or those who consider a "prestige" to farm for the steps needed to achieve Gen2 leggies ).

Gen2 force you in different ways
  1. You can't farm in order to sell for golds
  2. You can't farm in order to buy with golds
  3. You are forced to own HoT in order to craft one

Some people love having everything come down to farming gold. Some don't. Some think that games don't need prestige items; some do. Some people think "legendaries" should be a big deal and represent commitment to the game; some don't.

That's got nothing to do with "haters." It's just different preferences for what makes a game enjoyable.

No dude, it's hating since you don't want alternative.

Player A is ok if player B do his own legendary run to get the Legendary item.Player B is not ok if Players A buy the same legendary from Player C throug TP.

The point is simple.Some do complain about other who has a chance to get what they worked on for a trade

And guess what, they didn't dupe golds! they happened to play and earn em!PS: And maybe they didn't direcly farm gold at all, but resources, or sell runs, or playing TP, or got lucky with MF, or RNG drop, or convert gems.

No dude, it's not hating; it's preference.
  • Player A prefers a game with prestige items that can't be bought using a credit card.
  • Player B prefers a game in which there aren't any prestige items — that doesn't mean they are hating on the first player

And guess what? Player B can still still sell the mats needed for Gen 2 legendaries. And guess what? Those mats go up in price every time there's a new legendary.

The point is simple: there are a lot of players in the game. They don't all have the same interests. Sometimes, there's no way to accommodate differing preferences in the same reward system. That's why it's good that there's a variety of rewards in the game, some that can be traded at will, and some that cannot. That allows both Player A to have their restricted prestige items and Player B to obtain things (or sell them) via trade. Just not on the same items.

But what if Player C wants to get Gen 2 legendary, but he dislikes HoT. With Gen 1 he could just go and buy it from the TP. But he can't do the same with Gen 2.

Anyway I'm for all items to be trade-able. (Death to the soul/account bound items.)

There is no factual truth about what a legendary is supposed to be, those that implement it can decide.Anet apparently decided it should be seen as a item that shows your commitement in obtaining it, so that's what it is.

This.

No matter what your preference is, arenanet decides how they want legendarys be viewed in the game. If they decide that part of the legendarys should require a unskippable commitment, then that's how legendarys are going to get implemented.

@Shirlias.8104 said:It is not preference if you pretend that others play how you want or you feel upset if others obtain what you have in a different way.

It's not hard.

Having choice is not automatically a basic right, especially not in a video game where the game designer has the last creative say. Having a personal preference as to how a game should be designed is not automatically hating.

On the contrary, forcing your own view on others is closer to hating than having people defend the status quo. If you want to move away from the status quo, you need to bring convincing arguments as to why change is warranted. Subjective preference most often is not a convincing argument.

Ultimately arenanet gets to decide, and they've decided that they want generation 2 legendarys to be rarer than generation 1 legendarys (both because they are only craft-able 1nce per account and because the resulting legendary is account bound). You can be displeased with this decision, but you do not get to call people haters only because they are content with status quo.

My wife saw me replying several times to this tread and asked why I found it such a big deal. For me, it’s consistency. Making a rule/law/regulation/whatever and applying it forward. The fact that Gen 2 Legendary weapons must be made using HoT achievements doesn’t mean anything in the scheme of the whole game when the weapons don’t have HoT specific abilities.

When gliding was only allowed in HoT areas, because not everyone had that expansion, it made sense. But then they changed that rule and allowed gliding everywhere (minus a few excluded areas), maybe to entice people to buy HoT.

The people against are saying it’s about the journey. If enough people were against mounts/gliding/other special maneuvers because “it’s about the journey” would you stop using them? Probably not.

If every account crafted a specific Gen 2 Legendary there would be “X” number of those Legendaries in the world. If half of those people were able to sell them in the TP, there would still be “X” number.

Oh for the love of the six...

... here we go again talking about "prestige" related to legendary equipment.

However,

@Cyninja.2954 said:Having choice is not automatically a basic right, especially not in a video game where the game designer has the last creative say. Having a personal preference as to how a game should be designed is not automatically hating.

On the contrary, forcing your own view on others is closer to hating than having people defend the status quo. If you want to move away from the status quo, you need to bring convincing arguments as to why change is warranted. Subjective preference most often is not a convincing argument.

Ultimately arenanet gets to decide, and they've decided that they want generation 2 legendarys to be rarer than generation 1 legendarys (both because they are only craft-able 1nce per account and because the resulting legendary is account bound). You can be displeased with this decision, but you do not get to call people haters only because they are content with status quo.

I can't disagree with the fact that is ANET the one who decides.I just can't stand those who pretend that something must be that way for everybody.

It's a pretty different concept.Given this specific situation, we do have G1 which have 2 way to be obtained ( Craft or TP ) and G2 which have only 1 way ( Epic Craft Run ).

If we discuss about the G2 and some care about how other could obtain what they have got, they are simply haters.There's no other way to describe those who pretend to influence other players possibilities.

And this is why i mostly hate, because it tends to ruin discussions ( since at the end is ANET which decided how you will play ) and shows issues within a part of the community.

TLDR:

Does the change affect you somehow?If the answer is no but you still feel upset about that change, take a deep breath and try to deal with yourself.

Archived