More Equipment/Build template slots

We have more viable builds than ever, every elite spec of every class is viable, most of them has 2-5 builds. Just an example in PvE perspective: Engineer.
Engineer is one of the few classes which has two decent core builds, but lets not focus on them.

So we have Power dps mech, Condi dps mech, Power alac mech, Condi alac mech, Heal mech, Power dps scrapper, Power quickness scrapper, Power dps holo, Condi dps holo. Thats 9, and i havent talked about fringe viable builds like: Condi quick scrapper, HT CM ham (which uses completly different gear to the standard ham),  Heal scrapper, or Cele mech

Thats the case for all classes. Some of them is gonna get 1-2 more builds with the incoming patch. eg.: Condi dps druid, and Condi alac druid.
I wouldnt mind if you would extend it to 20 with the patch, but id be happy if i could buy just 2-2 more for each char.
That would be 14.400 gem. Let us throw money at you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And now you realize why this specific build template design was so bad.

It's bad because... he wants the cap to be increased? If that is the main complaint about them then they seem to be pretty good.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

It's bad because... he wants the cap to be increased? If that is the main complaint about them then they seem to be pretty good.

I mean, the system replaced an already existing better one. One with free, unlimited slots.
But i accepted it, its not gonna change, and i kinda like the new adaptation anyway. Its just not enough for me. Even before EoD, i was playing more than 8 builds/class.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, Expertus.5746 said:

I mean, the system replaced an already existing better one. One with free, unlimited slots.
But i accepted it, its not gonna change, and i kinda like the new adaptation anyway. Its just not enough for me. Even before EoD, i was playing more than 8 builds/class.

Yeah, it's a bit weird they're not increasing the caps on build/storage templates further.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No. I meant that they have intentionally designed a system where build template tabs would be restricted (unlike the GW1 system with practically infinite build space) , because they wanted to justify having to pay (a lot) for them. They also made that system a per-character one, again, to make players pay more. And the consequence is exactly the extremely restricted access to build template options OP is complaining about.

If they designed the system around useability, instead of profitability, the issue would not have existed.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No. I meant that they have intentionally designed a system where build template tabs would be restricted (unlike the GW1 system with practically infinite build space) , because they wanted to justify having to pay (a lot) for them. They also made that system a per-character one, again, to make players pay more. And the consequence is exactly the extremely restricted access to build template options OP is complaining about.

If they designed the system around useability, instead of profitability, the issue would not have existed.

You're complaining about templates being bound to -not cheap- monetization. OP is complaining about not being able to buy more and asks for increase of the cap. As far as I understand, OP isn't really making the complaint you're talking about here. For instance, just because there's a shared inventory slot cap I'd like to be higher, it doesn't somehow mean that I'm supporting anyone's stance about shared inventory slots being bad because they're paid. Meanwhile it seems that's what you're trying to do with this thread.

Anyways, at this point I'm mostly curious why they're not increasing the cap.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Essence Snow.3194 said:

Cheaper to buy character slots.

Yeah, but i want the 9 characters im playing to be "fulled". It has always been cheaper to buy char slots instead of build/eq slots. But im willing to pay more for convienence. And there is really no reason not to increase.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ANet gets more money when people buy character slots to make a new character and then unlock all the template slots than just increasing the maximum number of templates on a character. And while you might want to play 9 or more different builds on one class with one character, I'm pretty sure that's a minority preference.

• Haha 1

I just wish I could copy and paste equipment templates like I can with build templates, that is to say I could paste the template in text form/chat link.  I save my "overflow" builds in a spreadsheet and would be happy to do the same with equipment templates.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You're complaining about templates being bound to -not cheap- monetization. OP is complaining about not being able to buy more and asks for increase of the cap. As far as I understand, OP isn't really making the complaint you're talking about here.

I'm not talking about price per se. I am talking how desire for monetization forced a certain design of the system that is currently causing problems now. In short, for monetization reasons they designed the system in a way where adding new tabs is not trivial. The end result is that adding new tabs is not trivial.

A system that utilized GW1-style local storage for build data, and used gear from inventory (which is the way ArcTemplates worked) and not from specially dedicated gear tabs would not have been so limited, but it would have been much, much harder to monetize. Which is why they ultimately went with a design that was way worse utility-wise.

16 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Anyways, at this point I'm mostly curious why they're not increasing the cap.

Probably for the same reasons why they have issues with adding stuff to wallet and material storage. They've mentioned many times over that adding stuff to account/character data block is not trivial and that effectively they are limited to doing it using free space they've allocated at the very beginning of the game. Meaning, they have to be extremely frugal in deciding what to add.

• Confused 4