Pattern for Open World Builds

Abodeuke.1407

Hello everyone, I have been seeing a pattern for open world solo builds and I would like to just confirm it, " for open world builds, when it comes to power builds you either go berserker, or sacrifice some damage and get Marauder, and for condition builds you either go viper, or sacrifice some damage and get trailblazer or celestial", now can I base ALL open worlds builds on this statement? for example, I was looking for a reaper build and I found out that reaper go berserker, but then I saw Lord Hizen reaper build that use celestial, so now my statement for either berserker or Marauder for power build is false? or if the the build is hybrid, then take celestial? I want to know because I am planning to try all profession and their Elite Specialization, and I know not every Elite Specialization can be used in solo Open World

• Like 3

It really depends on what you’re wanting to do, what is the scope of “solo Open World”

Doing open world content a majority of builds will work. Going full berserker for example lets you kill open world mobs super quickly, but obviously have minimal defensives. This usually isn’t a problem since doing normal events you can burn through enemies quickly and during large events there are other players to support and assist you. This gear could also be used elsewhere in the game, such as full dps builds that can be used in raids, strikes, and fractals. This can cut down on the amount of gear you need to get.

For Lord Hizen’s builds they’re all about soloing *anything* in the open world, including champion enemies and events intended for groups. In those cases celestial builds or builds that use other niche gear are better because you need a combination of damage, defensives, and sustain to complete those.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Abodeuke.1407 said:

I saw Lord Hizen reaper build that use celestial, so now my statement for either berserker or Marauder for power build is false?

That is because reaper has a lot of free crit chance in the traits. If you want to go over the top "solo OW" celestial is the best gear in 99% of the cases. Power builds need 3 stats to do damage: Power, Precision and ferocity. Condition builds need 2 stats to damage: Condition damage and expertise. These stats increase the damage by multiplication not addition.That is why if you want to solo stuff you are not supposed to do solo, condition build over perform. Only relying on 2 stats for damage means, you can relocate more stats without losing to much damage. For example trailblazer. The other variable in these over the top builds is they keep as many buffs up on themselves as possible. So concentration is very useful to keep up boons in a solo scenario.
So you want to invest in your 2(condition) or 3(power) damage stats to do decent damage, invest in toughness and Vitality to not die and invest in concentration to keep up boons to buff yourself. Turn out celestial is the best stat combination to do that.
Reaper with a lot of crit chance in the traits doesn't need Precision so Reaper needs only 2 stats to do Power damage. Virtuoso is a condition build that needs 100% crit chance to reliable apply conditions, so that is a condition build that does need 3 stats. But that are exceptions to the rule.

If you play the game normally Berserker, Marauder, Viper, Trailblazer and celestial are all fine.

Tldr: Your statement is correct, the video you watched is someone breaking the game.

Edited by SlayerXX.7138
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Abodeuke.1407 said:

, and I know not every Elite Specialization can be used in solo Open World

Every elite spec can be used in open world. 

Open world for me is a playground for fun builds. 

There is no template for ow builds but there is a general template for power(berserker, marauder, dragon) , condi(viper, trailblazer) , hybrid (celestial, grieving, marshal, plaguedoctor...) builds because you want to utilise the stats that complement your build. You probably wont play healer in ow. 

I would recommend full dps build. It helps you farm quickly. Soloing most champions is doable solo, with dps gear. Same for team events. Though depending on your skill, your mileage may vary. If you want to solo bounties, or things of that nature, you will need defensive gear.

One additional thing to point out, not all builds/classes are as good in OW. The balance is mostly tuned to group PvE, with limited attention to survivablity. If your goal is to solo bounties (or equivalent), I would recommend rev, necro, ranger and mesmer.

Edited by otto.5684
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Abodeuke.1407 said:

for example, I was looking for a reaper build and I found out that reaper go berserker, but then I saw Lord Hizen reaper build that use celestial, so now my statement for either berserker or Marauder for power build is false? or if the the build is hybrid, then take celestial? I want to know because I am planning to try all profession and their Elite Specialization, and I know not every Elite Specialization can be used in solo Open World

Is all about the definition. For a lot of people  "solo Open World PvE means" doing some random events, Hero Points, maybe some Champions. Given enough skill, usually those can be completed faster with the most dps oriented gear, which is usually berserker for power builds and viper or griever for condition or hybrid builds. Those people would advice you to use that gear since is the "meta" at instanced contents and eve large groups OW  meta events .

But for other people "solo Open World PvE" means doing any non-instanced PvE alone, which includes bounties, legendary bounties and large group meta events. Those, despite being designed to be cleared by groups, can be soloed. But the builds to do that have a mix between damage and self-sustain, in form of both damage prevention/mitigation and helath recovery. The only requirement is being sble to deal damage enough to solo the events in the time cap. For condi builds most of the time celestial is the strongest gear; four stat gear as marauder provides 9,35% more stats than three stat gear as berserker, and celestial provides 74,38% more stat points than berserker, so if your build benefits from both power and condi damage and requires some room for HP and armor celestial works wonders.

Of the strongest "do all solo PvE OW" builds most of the top performing specs do benefit the most from celestial, with the only exception of Bladesworn, which does better with power stats (Vindi is also strong with power, but the celestial build has much more sustain and doesn't loses more than 1k in the golem).

A final thing to have in consideration is that difficulty can vary greatly depending on the random unstable anomalies of some of those bosses: phase in/our and restorer can easily halve the progression. Being said that, with the right build most bounties can be soloed in 4-8 minutes and for speed farming probably the best number of players is 3, since above that the scaling usually doesn't make the things faster...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Abodeuke.1407 said:

Hello everyone, I have been seeing a pattern for open world solo builds and I would like to just confirm it, " for open world builds, when it comes to power builds you either go berserker, or sacrifice some damage and get Marauder, and for condition builds you either go viper, or sacrifice some damage and get trailblazer or celestial", now can I base ALL open worlds builds on this statement? for example, I was looking for a reaper build and I found out that reaper go berserker, but then I saw Lord Hizen reaper build that use celestial, so now my statement for either berserker or Marauder for power build is false? or if the the build is hybrid, then take celestial? I want to know because I am planning to try all profession and their Elite Specialization, and I know not every Elite Specialization can be used in solo Open World

Celestial boosts all stats, but that boost is weak compared to dedicated stat sets.
Which means it works best on professions that do hybrid damage, have tons of free stats in their traits and utilites and are great at keepnig themselves perma buffed with might, fury and quickness.

Quite a few professions have specs that meet these cryteria.
Eles, Engies, Necros, Warriors, Revenants from top of my head.

Others may benefit more from dedicated stat sets.
Those that care only about one type of damage (like Bladesworn), or don't have crazy amounts of free stats and need them from their gear where it matters.

• Like 2

Going glass is fine on core Tyria, but once you enter the worlds that actually take into account powercreep, you're gonna get thrown for a loop. I personally just use my wvw duelist build in open world and that works wonders but it helps a lot to simply go full Marauder/Dragon for that extra vitality.

• Like 1